Quantcast
whats your top speed? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: whats your top speed?

lammer Guest

160~ some with a 97 Safari on high way haha shit i was getting scared cause it was getting all wobbly and shit..

my speedometer maxes out at 180

155mph hitting that limiter felt so weird :P sudden thrust forward as the car stopped accelerating for a few seconds. Oh yeah, this was on a uhh... private strip of runway lol.
    ---

My Ride
    1992 Honda Prelude

about 225 km/h

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

There is often a discrepancy between what your speedo is telling you and how fast you are actually going. Sure, my speedo goes to 300kph, I could probably even get the needle to show 295. My actual speed though is probably a lot less, as is common on most 944 turbos.

My 944 TurboS with it's current mods *should* be able to pull to the red in 5th, which is 267kph. I haven't come close to this yet.

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by kenny
    155mph hitting that limiter felt so weird :P sudden thrust forward as the car stopped accelerating for a few seconds. Oh yeah, this was on a uhh... private strip of runway lol.
    Yeah my speed limiter does the same thing. Its a weird feeling and it sucks to lose a race because you bump up against the speed limiter -- in my case anyways. Yours is much higher than mine
    Originally posted by sml
    So, since when does torque win races?

My Ride
    Probe

Originally posted by redline_13000

my point all along, most of the people on the board say "more horsepower doesnt give you a higher top speed"
    There is two reasons people cant get going faster once they hit a top speed.
    1. Not enough HP: the drag on the car is to much for the hp your car is creating and just cant PUSH anymore and kinda just sits at one speed no matter how long you push the peedle.
    2. Gearing: I could have a 1000 hp and my car wont go anymore then 234km , thats because my tranny wont let me go any faster then that.
    So when you combine those, if you have a slow car. Your top speed is what ever you can get it too. If you have a fast car its what ever your tranny lets you go. and most of the people on the board are right because TOP speed is diff then your FASTEST speed...
    Hope you understand what Im trying to put down

oh ya and RGAGT come on man, tell me why i cant get to 234km ???

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by RGAGT
    220km i've hit I doubt that convicts probe will hit 234km
    oh its possible...ive been close to that in another Probe GT with less mods.

Originally posted by speedyalero

Yeah my speed limiter does the same thing. Its a weird feeling and it sucks to lose a race because you bump up against the speed limiter -- in my case anyways. Yours is much higher than mine
    what does it cut out at?..i love beating cars that have speed limiters,( Sunfires, Cavaliers etc.. lol ) just kinda funny when they just stop excelerating

my car can get to about 180km/h alright, but it depends on its mood if it will go any higher, plus its harder with the lights up( more drag)...one time going to Edmonton, i got it up to 212km/h becuase it was during the day and i was drafting a 300zx....Yes i know this was stupid, so i dont need any comments saying it was.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    Mach-1 baby!

Originally posted by James

oh its possible...ive been close to that in another Probe GT with less mods.

What mods are done to his Probe? I too doubt a stock one could hit that speed. But it sounds like his isn't stock.

what does it cut out at?..i love beating cars that have speed limiters,( Sunfires, Cavaliers etc.. lol ) just kinda funny when they just stop excelerating
    It cuts out around 175-180 mark. Which sucks - especially considering that I still have a gear to go when I bump up against the limiter. But I am awaiting a new PCM to take care of that problem and a few other computer related things.

I was racing this guy in a VW and it was nice and close till I looked down at the speedo and lost all accelleration... sigh.. he just kept on going....

my car can get to about 180km/h alright, but it depends on its mood if it will go any higher, plus its harder with the lights up( more drag)...one time going to Edmonton, i got it up to 212km/h becuase it was during the day and i was drafting a 300zx....Yes i know this was stupid, so i dont need any comments saying it was.
    I always do the cruise control set at 175KM trips to Edmonton. Its a nice straight road and there isn't a heck of a lot of traffic so why not makes the trip much shorter.
    Originally posted by sml
    So, since when does torque win races?

My Ride
    01 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Well I'm Pretty sure "although it's been a long time since I drove a probe " That the speedo's in the car Only go's to I think 180-200 km/h. they only have 170hp stock which puts it the same as the Aleros/Grand AM .

I Know Mine will pull to 220km/h and still has more Room to pull to but hit's the limiter. I'm putting out about 185hp. And That was with the factory 16"Rims and Tires.

With the 18" Rims I'm only hitting 200 km Not enought Hp to push to the limit anymore. I don't remember what the gearin is on the probe and I'm Awesomin that your's is a 5spd. The Last Probe I drove was a First year new style and I could only get it to 185km/h and that was with a 5spd.

So I would save I don't think it would hit 234km/h, If I remember right your Probe has some mods don't remember what other then I think and intake and what a 50 shot of Nitrous?
    WHAT EVER GET BACK TO YA

230 in my car-pretty stable
    145mph in my truck-way to fuckin scary

Altough i did make it from edmonton to calgary(including a stop in red deer) in 1.5hrs...

My Ride
    Probe

Well I'm Pretty sure "although it's been a long time since I drove a probe " That the speedo's in the car Only go's to I think 180-200 km/h. they only have 170hp stock which puts it the same as the Aleros/Grand AM .

I Know Mine will pull to 220km/h and still has more Room to pull to but hit's the limiter. I'm putting out about 185hp. And That was with the factory 16"Rims and Tires.

With the 18" Rims I'm only hitting 200 km Not enought Hp to push to the limit anymore. I don't remember what the gearin is on the probe and I'm Awesomin that your's is a 5spd. The Last Probe I drove was a First year new style and I could only get it to 185km/h and that was with a 5spd.

So I would save I don't think it would hit 234km/h, If I remember right your Probe has some mods don't remember what other then I think and intake and what a 50 shot of Nitrous?
    Not even close man. Thanks for explaining yourself. My speedo goes to 180km ( 1989-1992) new gens speedo goes to 220km I believe. Stock second generations can pull into the 230's with ease, been in a couple of them who have.
    I put 234km because if you take gear ratios and what not, on the stock tires thats redline(6500). But I had 18's on so i just recalculated and it puts it at 255.1 kph. So I suppose thats how fast I was going. Math is math, you can argue with it if you like.
    and no offence but comparing my car to yours is stupid. First off I am a lot lighter, I am turbo'ed with FMIC, I put more hp to the wheels then you got to the flywheel, and I got about a 100lbs more tq then you to the wheels. sooo ?!?!
    My mods during this run was - Stripped interior, Doubled stock boost, Air intake, exhaust, msd ignition and coil.
    Last edited by ConVict; 05-05-2003 at 02:59 PM.

My Ride
    01 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Well didn't realize you had that much done to it good to hear thanks for the info update

Hey what was factory boost back then don't remember
    WHAT EVER GET BACK TO YA

My Ride
    Probe

Well didn't realize you had that much done to it good to hear thanks for the info update

Hey what was factory boost back then don't remember
    Stock boost was 6... Putting out a super underrated 145hp and 190lbs/tq. Someone tested this, and got a flywheel dyno. it ran 166hp and 205lbs/tq or something.

Not to keep going on an old topic, but I'll give you something to think about
    I have one pic of my speedo- Mods included at the time. Stock boost, stock Air Box, 2.5 exhaust after downpipe. Rolling on 18's. With a passenger and lugage ( on the way to edmonton ) and dont forget the full tank of gas
    If you calculate with my 18's on, and gear ratios. not looking at the speedo.
    1st Gear - 3.25
    2nd Gear - 1.772
    3rd Gear - 1.194
    4th Gear - 0.926
    5th Gear - 0.711
    it says 5500RPM 215.8kph
    6000RPM is 235.4kph

So... Probes are faster then you think I guess is the moral of the story
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ConVict; 05-05-2003 at 03:52 PM.

My Ride
    '13 MB C350 W204 '09 Gixxer 750

I got upto about 210km/h when I started to get into traffic again. It was Hwy 2 outside of Carstairs heading towards the city. Probably could get some more, but it's tough to find open good road...

My Ride
    01 Pontiac Grand Am GT

Originally posted by ConVict

Not even close man. Thanks for explaining yourself. My speedo goes to 180km ( 1989-1992) new gens speedo goes to 220km I believe. Stock second generations can pull into the 230's with ease, been in a couple of them who have.
    I put 234km because if you take gear ratios and what not, on the stock tires thats redline(6500). But I had 18's on so i just recalculated and it puts it at 255.1 kph. So I suppose thats how fast I was going. Math is math, you can argue with it if you like.
    and no offence but comparing my car to yours is stupid. First off I am a lot lighter, I am turbo'ed with FMIC, I put more hp to the wheels then you got to the flywheel, and I got about a 100lbs more tq then you to the wheels. sooo ?!?!
    My mods during this run was - Stripped interior, Doubled stock boost, Air intake, exhaust, msd ignition and coil.

Sorry Man I had to look up the stats for your car stock - Couldn't find out weight but your probable right on the probe being lighter the the GA but just so we both have the correct infor

My Stats for Horsepower/Torque stock car weights 3100lbs

175 bhp @ 5200 rpm
    205 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Yours Don't know the Weight

145hp@4300rpm
    190ft/lbs@3500rpm

So stock at the wheels your putting out 126hp/152ft/lbs of Torque and that's going with 20% power train loss

Mine would be 130hp/150ft/lb with 30% loss throu drive train

Which I think is pretty accurate looking at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for both cars are pretty close

GA's Gearin

1st: 2.957:1
    2nd: 1.623:1
    3rd: 1.000:1
    4th: 0.863:1

Final Drive 3.29:1 gt's only
    Last edited by RGAGT; 05-05-2003 at 03:58 PM.
    WHAT EVER GET BACK TO YA

My Ride
    Probe

Sorry Man I had to look up the stats for your car stock - Couldn't find out weight but your probable right on the probe being lighter the the GA but just so we both have the correct infor

My Stats for Horsepower/Torque stock car weights 3100lbs

175 bhp @ 5200 rpm
    205 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

Yours Don't know the Weight

145hp@4300rpm
    190ft/lbs@3500rpm

So stock at the wheels your putting out 126hp/152ft/lbs of Torque and that's going with 20% power train loss

Mine would be 130hp/150ft/lb with 30% loss throu drive train

Which I think is pretty accurate looking at the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for both cars are pretty close
    Theken has a Cold Air Intake, running 11psi. He ran a 144whp, and 220wtq. So thats the only thing close to evidence of what mods can do to the probe. Have no idea what I am running. The probes weight is in the 2600-2800 range. Depending on GT, LX, GL. I am probably in the 2600 range with my weight reduction.

So by guessing ( remember I am guessing ) I am putting down at least 160whp, and 240wtq and my car is 500lbs less then yours

Dont worry, we got the same friends. We can set up a nice friendly race this summer or something for a beer
    Last edited by ConVict; 05-05-2003 at 04:04 PM.

My Ride
    1998 Neon MTX Sedan

The old Probe/MX6 turbos were brutally under-rated. I have no doubt that their advertised numbers were closer to wheel rating than actual flywheel.

I drove an ex's stock MX-6 turbo and that thing pulled like a fat chick going for the last twinkie.

The engines were also pretty durable so you could pump a pile of boost thru them and not worry about taking a rod to the jewels.

I will gladly attest that the stock motor in the Probe/MX-6 is/was a lot stronger than the 3.4 in the GA/Alero.

Oh, and they had manual trannies too.

My Ride
    94 VW Golf

i tried drafting off a jimmy and it worked so good it was like adding a turbo to my car and i all most hit him then i when in the next lane ya i know that was stupid but i had to try it sometime

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I had an 89 S10 that would do 220 no prob. 4.3L
    Travel

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

Originally posted by StrokeD z
    i tried drafting off a jimmy and it worked so good it was like adding a turbo to my car and i all most hit him then i when in the next lane ya i know that was stupid but i had to try it sometime

Originally posted by Ben
    I had an 89 S10 that would do 220 no prob. 4.3L
    Beastly 4.3 Liters

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast