Quantcast
Best Way To Deal With A POS Prof - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Best Way To Deal With A POS Prof

Default Best Way To Deal With A POS Prof

Just hoping to get some opinions on how i should deal with a Prof of mine at UofC. This guy is a real piece of work, lectures on a retarded amount (50+) slides of material from another prof, adds nothing to it. Come test time, the questions arent even taken from the material he taught (class avg was a 50%, it wasn;t just me who was confused as to where he got the material for the questions)

What do ya guys think? Not looking for like "break his legs" kinda answers lol
    Last edited by BrknFngrs; 11-04-2006 at 12:17 PM.

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

maybe send a complaint to the head of his department. might catch someones attention and get something done.

i was thinking along the lines of meeting with the dean of faculty? I would assume this would the same as the department head?

get as many other people together who got screwed just like you and complain to the undergraduate dean of your faculty.
    Built not Bought.
    Originally posted by mitsumirage
    the civic will always be just a basic car , poor people will always buy them , its sad but its true

ya figure go at em as a group? I figure my ideal outcome is to get reinbursed for this stupid experience and have it not show up as a withdrawl on my transcripts so i dunno if i group would get me that.

And on a side note, its not in my core faculty, its this stupid SS option.

My Ride
    '05 Dinan M3

What is the profs name? I think I know who you are talking about, I had a prof do the same thing, and if its him goodluck. The guy is a total nut!
    ProjectTechnik

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

you think hes a total nut? my calc instructor is even worse. he snapped on me and my buddy for trying to figure out the thing he was teaching, then kicked both of us out of class.

^^ PM'd

Id prefer to keep the tools name out of the thread atleast until i talk to the dean about it.

I have one like that too. But mine also likes to go off on wild tangents:

"Yeah, this next slide is a picture I took of an industrial 3 phase AC motor. I took this with my Nikon SLR camera that I got on a trip to England in '94. It was a great trip, I saw so many pubs while I was there, and let me tell you about English pubs, asdklsdf askjkjsfd blah blah blah, oh look, we're out of time. Well it's ok, I'll keep talking for a bit longer anyway, about a time I was late for class when I was in university."

My Ride
    2017 Highlander XLE, 09 WRX STi

Talk to the head of the course first (unless it is him), and if that doesn't work go to the dean. Get as many people as you can to go to the dean and file complaints as well. That way it doesn't seem like you are the only person complaining. The more you get to complain the better it should work out for you.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Re: Best Way To Deal With A POS Prof

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    he decides he just gonna add 25% to peoples marks, if they got under 23/30 (not if you got more then that).
    What kind of teacher doesn't know how to curve the test, holy crap. Just blatanly adding 25% to those who didn't get under 23! That's insane! What if I got 22 and my buddy got 23, I'd be ahead of him, how the hell does that. What a complete moron! Talk to the head of the department for sure, who is this prof and what course is he teaching just so I can make sure I never have him

My Ride
    91 Mr Not

Make sure you have sufficient notes and evidence to support your case when you make it. Don't just go see the Dean and talk about it, drag out a summary of the semesters class notes and assigned material and its comparison to the test...otherwise you will probably just get lip service...

My Ride
    a wrx.

Does the U of C have some sort of student ombuds service to help you out?

this is a tough situation, because if you appeal all you really have is your marked papers/exams and then it's your word against his.

This guy is obviously new and it's showing. he doesn't know what to expect from the students and seems to be implementing unfair grading policies to deal with it.

Before you do anything, I would suggest you make another meeting with him and bring all of your papers/exams. explain to him that you think his policies are unfair, and ask him if he can review your assignments and consider improving your mark. Or, maybe you can rewrite some things or do an additional 'extra credit' assignment. Tell him that you intend to file an appeal if he isn't willing to work with you on the mark (at the very least he should explain why he gave you the mark.)

good luck, but usually there isn't much you can do in a case like this. you need hard evidence for the appeal process. and then you will be labelled as a 'brat' by other people who are on the appeal committee

My Ride
    A Hobo

just put what you told us into better sentences and send them directly to him in email . he can defend himself towards you first to rectify the situation . confrontation is great .

if that doesn't work, send the emails you received from him from the conversation to his department head

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

class avg was a 50% isnt that bad my friend haha deal with the engg class avg's then complain.. ur lucky u even get added marks like that
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    a wrx.

The problem with beyond is that good advice (such as mine) is often buried by a torrent of bad advice.

nah, i just look at it as a whole and see how it compares to my plans, helps a fair bit, just gotta ignore the BS

thanks guys

My Ride
    2009 Forester

talk to the prof first and present your evidence.

If this is his first time teaching a course, i can understand because it's not easy when you're starting from scratch. those profs that are amazing have usually been teaching their courses for YEARS.

if he still seems unreasonable, see the department chair first. if you go right to the dean chances are they'll tell you to speak to the chair first. that's one of the reasons why they have department chairs.
    Tim