Quantcast
FS: 92 mustang LX - overheats - $500 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: FS: 92 mustang LX - overheats - $500

My Ride
    Kawasaki 636

Default FS: 92 mustang LX - overheats - $500

I dont know what it needs but you can only drive it for about 10 minutes then it gets too hot. Its a 92 mustang lx 4cyl 2.3L with just over 200,000kms (This car had 95,000kms on it when I bought it.) After driving it, there is coolant that leaks out underneath.

Within the last year I replaced the starter, alternator, battery, spark plug wires, water pump, brake pads and rotots, front tires (rears were replaced less then 2 years ago). I also have a new thermostat but its not installed.

My parents got a new vehicle and sold me their old one so right now its just sitting in the driveway. I dont want to have to pay to find out what is wrong. I have been told it could be that I need a new radiator or head gasket.

Located in Lethbridge, Alberta

My Ride
    Kawasaki 636

Bump

you probably need to replace your head gasket -i.e. if you do a compression test on your cylinders you'll find that your block will have a leak in one or some of your pistons.

if it already overheated you gotta replace a bunch of tubes, belts, thermostat and you'll also have to magneflux the cylinder heads to see if they're cracked etc. if you're lucky you won't need to machine the cylinder block from the corrosion due to the coolant leak.

I've gone through the same thing. Hope that helps.

Good price btw. person who buys it can replace all the stuff and have a new top end (roughly about $2000'ish worth of work, average case)

My Ride
    Kawasaki 636

Yikes, I didn't think it would be $2,000 worth. Well clears that up. I was kind of hoping a mechanic would want it to fix up for cheap but I guess it will be more expensive than I thought.