Quantcast
U.N. urges U.S. to end Cuba embargo - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: U.N. urges U.S. to end Cuba embargo

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

Default U.N. urges U.S. to end Cuba embargo

183 in favor 4 opposed

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061108/..._am_ca/un_cuba

UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. General Assembly voted overwhelmingly Wednesday to urge the United States to end its 45-year-old trade embargo against Cuba after defeating an amendment calling on Fidel Castro's government to free political prisoners and respect human rights.

It was the 15th straight year that the 192-member world body approved a resolution calling for the U.S. economic and commercial embargo against Cuba to be repealed "as soon as possible."

Cuba's Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque told the assembly "the economic war unleashed by the U.S. against Cuba, the longest and most ruthless ever known, qualifies as an act of genocide and constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and the charter of the United Nations."

My Ride
    Bicycle

But isn't Cuba free to do business with everyone else but U.S.?

There's no way US is backing down now. Cuba doesn't have the resources (natural or human) to make US think otherwise.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

cuba has cigars and booze, all the cubans would end up going to the states if they had a non illegal way to do it

My Ride
    73 & 06 vette

who cares what the UN says they are useless anyways

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Things might change a bit, economically, for the country, but its just going to turn into another resort destination for Americans. And I bet most of them won't want to go because of the stigmata attached to cuba.

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by Kirbs17
    Things might change a bit, economically, for the country, but its just going to turn into another resort destination for Americans. And I bet most of them won't want to go because of the stigmata attached to cuba.
    Ah BS.... you realize how many Americans a year go to Cuba illegally? They usually travel somewhere first, then go down.

It amazes me that the American's think they are SOOO free, yet their gov't wont let them take a vacation in one of the most beautiful places on the planet....

My Ride
    2013 Longhorn Ram

Originally posted by Toma

Ah BS.... you realize how many Americans a year go to Cuba illegally? They usually travel somewhere first, then go down.

That might be the case, and I agree, it probably happens. However, having been there myself, and speaking with a few locals and employees of resorts, I'd be willing to say the number was over half, for people that expressed disdain for American people. These people were very passionate about their hate regarding Americans.

That being said, the other half either didnt care, or didnt offer an opinion.

(I asked maybe 30 people while I was there)

Originally posted by SKR
    You know what, I'm such a ricer. More form than function, oversized exhaust, Japanese engine, and if I put the tailgate down it kind of acts as much like a wing as the picnic table wings the fast and furious guys are bolting to their cars.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Kirbs17

That being said, the other half either didnt care, or didnt offer an opinion.
    Or already living in Florida.