Quantcast
Heavy Duty Mechanic vs Non-Heavy Duty Mechanic? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Heavy Duty Mechanic vs Non-Heavy Duty Mechanic?

Default Heavy Duty Mechanic vs Non-Heavy Duty Mechanic?

Recently I posted a thread in this forum asking about how to get started working towards becoming an automotive mechanic. Thanks for the replies and pointing me in the right direction (getting work first).

I applied to a local company and got an interview that went well. It seems like the entry level position will be mine if I want it and if I prove my worth. The company seems genuinely interested in acquiring apprentices and having them stick around.

Here is my dilemma. The aspects of automotive mechanics that I have found interested me the most are all based around doing things to one's own consumer vehicle. I really like the idea of being able to fix and modify my own vehicle and the vehicle of those people I know. I like the idea of learning a trade that I can remain interested in on my own time and have practical application for in my own life outside of work. The job I interviewed for was for a place that deals mostly with heavy duty mechanics. It seems like this company spends a lot of time rebuilding/reconditioning parts for heavy trucks and agricultural equipment. It seems like the company also installs these parts into heavy trucks or other machines.

What I don't fully understand is will working in the heavy duty mechanic trade still provide me with the skills and knowledge to be able to work on light vehicles/cars? Is the licensing different for a heavy duty mechanic? Are the educational classes different? Can a heavy duty mechanic move to working on non-heavy duty vehicles if they are so inclined?

The company suggested I would have a choice based on my preference for working at a bench fixing/rebuilding parts or working under the trucks (they pointed out that working under the trucks was much more messy).

I don't want to waste this companies time or my own. Thanks for any opinions on this dilemma.

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

Well they are 2 different programs if that what you means.

Although you will not be working on consumer vehicles you will learn alot about how things work. You will probably be dealing with alot of hydraulics and compressed air stuff.

You will learn transferable skills like how to loosen stubborn rusted bolts, how to properly tighten gaskets. Most importantly you will learn to visualize how things work and come together and apart. It wont be the same parts, but you will get understand the mechanics behind everything alot better.

HD mechanics make more money . But you probably wont get to use a garage bay on your own car or get a discount on car parts and stuff. Unless your getting some supplies from greggs distributors.

Good luck dude. I saw kal tire hiring in Leduc again today.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Heavy duty mechanic FTW!

They are 2 different licenses.

Seriously, if you have a choice, would you rather be fixing some general public bitch soccer moms car by noon, so she can scream at you about how much it cost?

I didn't think so. Asides from that, you won't learn much about suping up cars in a mechanics shop, most of that is learned in your own garage.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Yup, i once aspired to be a auto mechanic, and sure as hell im glad i didnt. Started at the bottom(sweeping floors, cleaning parts) and worked my way up.

Currently a third year apt(almost a 4th) running a service truck in the field. The industry for a hd mechanic is growing immensly everyday, advancements in technology are hard to keep up with.

Mind you parts are much larger and heavier, and you must mainuplate parts into place by use to overhead cranes/come alongs, etc. Tools, are very heavy, and if not very strong may be a problem. Everyday is a diferent task, and different challenge to deal with.

redx2nv,

If you have the time I'd be curious to hear what parts of the job you like the most/least. I know you said every day is different, but as much as possible could you describe the structure of a typical day?

How heavy is heavy when you refer to the tools and how much of the day is spent directly using the tools?

Do you ever work on consumer vehicles? How much of what you have learned apprenticing as a HD mechanic has assisted you with working on consumer vehicles?

Thanks in advance.

I think you could earn more $ doing HD, and with that you'll get a good solid foundation for mechanics in general, and with your eagerness to learn, you will do fine for the most part with regular vehicles. You just wont have the electronics and diagnostics, but you'll be fine with engine builds, being able to pin point mechanical problems, and so on, which seems to be what you want...

If your interested in suping up cars then don't be a mechanic, be an engineer. Also everyday cars don't have turbos and intercoolers, HD mechanics work with that stuff all day long.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    88 RX7 LS1/t56

everyday cars usually run on gasoline...HD mechanics dont work with that stuff all day long. You'd be better off learning about gas engines and then dealing with learning about FI on them than working on turbo diesels

Auto service is alright, if your in the trade though the last thing you wanna do when you get home after working on cars for 8 hours is work on a friends car. Where you work will determine if you learn about modifing a car. Most dealerships tend not to do much aftermarket stuff.

HD ftw... You will learn a lot more then you will ever have expected to.

Thanks for the replies. I got to view the shop today and see exactly what they were doing. The HD mechanic stuff was more interesting to me than I thought it might be. It actually turns out they give the choice of either automotive or HD (the HR person didn't tell me automotive was an option). It appears the job might be mine if I want it. I am now just carefully decided and making sure that I do want it.

One question they asked during my interview was about what wage I would be looking for. My answer was I have no idea what the a reasonable, going rate would be for the position I would be entering into. Does anyone know a rough average of what someone would be making starting off in a shop cleaning and disassembling parts (like differentials)?

FTW = ?

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

well......when I went job hunting and read all the wanted ads and stuff.....

Journeyman HD mechanics varied from 30-40$/hr

regular automotive mechanics were more like 27-33/hr.

If you are starting apprenticeship right away I believe in both cases its 55% of journeyman first year.

so like probably 18$ or so for a first year HD

and like 16 for a automotive mechanic.

If they want to start you as a laborer first like most places....just work you for a few months before they take you as an apprentice, I would be looking for at least 14$/hr.......no less.......would expect 16$ if your dealing with big heavy duty stuff.....

16 is what I was at as a laborer going into apprentice millwright....taking apart big ass 5' wide pistons and stuff out of annulars.

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

ftw = for the win

Originally posted by oneday
    redx2nv,

If you have the time I'd be curious to hear what parts of the job you like the most/least. I know you said every day is different, but as much as possible could you describe the structure of a typical day?

How heavy is heavy when you refer to the tools and how much of the day is spent directly using the tools?

Do you ever work on consumer vehicles? How much of what you have learned apprenticing as a HD mechanic has assisted you with working on consumer vehicles?

Thanks in advance.
    It all really depends, i work for a mining company servicing a fleet of 17 ultra class 400 ton haul trucks, so you can imagine everything is huge.

My structure, every day is different. Could be easy as charging struts( 1 hour) to a complete 20 cylinder engine swap out, to field work replacing broken line, or reprogramming a onboard ecm.

Tools yea, haha, they can range from size all the way to 3/8 gun to a 1.5" drive gun. Everything is heavy most of the time, im not going to lie, loads average around 50lbs, and up to 150 lbs daily.

And, i was a auto mechanic per say before i was a HD, and im sure glad i wont go back to work on someones minivan. You easily gain the skills to work out automobiles with HD experience.

1st year wage, is 60% of journeyman wage. Depending on where you work and how many hours, its not uncommon for a apprentice to make more than 100k+ a year.

you'll want 60% of $35.