Quantcast
Beginner Bike - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Bike

Default Beginner Bike

Is it really that difficult to learn on a faster bike? I noticed when people are discussing what bike to get, a lot of people recommend getting a smaller/slower bike then move up to a faster one later on. Is it worth the trouble to have to sell a bike to upgrade later on?
    ---

hell no . . . buy what you can afford . . . the faster the bike you learn on, the faster the next bike you get!!!

if you can afford a SLK 32 would you let ppl who say "you can't handle that power yet" stop you? FUK NO

it's all about common sense and how good you are at keepin your head straight on the roads!!

My Ride
    B7A4

haven't thrown my-self on a bike yet, but most ppl i know who ride start out on a 600cc. my guess is that 600 is a good place to start and you won't get bored of it for awhile.

My Ride
    Mercedes Benz R class, Mercedes Benz E class

Kenny, just go get the fastest thing you can find. I started on a Ninja 900 a year ago. Now I have a Hayabusa 1300. No regrets from starting with a large bike.

www.bmwvsmbz.com

My Ride
    a nice pair of and1's

that's the way i look at it, just pick up the fastest one you can afford so you don't outgrow it so fast. too bad the R1 is a tad big for me, i gotta start working out again! hahah

id go with a 600cc...its more forgiving...especially if you ride it hard thats why people say go with a smaller bike...its also lighter and easier to handle...also the way i see it 600cc is the most competitive class of bikes which means you are getting the most for your money

ya get an R1, give it a week or so and ill be seeing a 100ft bloody smear on the news with bits of mangled plastic and aluminum shattered all over the place "Hey look its kenny! hes on TV!"

Professional DJ equipment for sale: Click Here

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

Originally posted by bksze
    hell no . . . buy what you can afford . . . the faster the bike you learn on, the faster the next bike you get!!!

if you can afford a SLK 32 would you let ppl who say "you can't handle that power yet" stop you? FUK NO

it's all about common sense and how good you are at keepin your head straight on the roads!!

Dude, if you had any idea how many funerals I've been to because people just said "buy the fastest possible bike right away" it would make you sick..
    I guess the only upside is I've been able to buy a ton of write-offs to make into racebikes.
    Bought not built!

heh you can get into trouble easily with a 125CC trainer let alone a sportbike

all up to the individual i guess. lots of people have bought new litre bikes and have been fine... and lots of people have bought small bikes and worked their way up and died.

caution is the word of the day

My Ride
    1987 Fiero GT

Buy whatever your comforatable on. Big bikes are heavy, and not quite as nimble, small bikes are nimble but not super speedy.

Are you gunna be taking it to the track?

doing things in moderation, I'd get like a 250 sportbike drive it for a year to get used to it, and then buy something larger. Im sure you could find someone to buy a smaller bike quite easily.

JZ

- 2.8v6, 5spd, no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

yeah personally i know a couple guys who picked up r1's and 9r's just because they are more expensive than 600's and they end up writing off bikes and injuring themseves or killing themselves...a 600 is a heckuva a lot of bike for these streets already

My Ride
    1987 Fiero GT

Originally posted by bigboom
    yeah personally i know a couple guys who picked up r1's and 9r's just because they are more expensive than 600's and they end up writing off bikes and injuring themseves or killing themselves...a 600 is a heckuva a lot of bike for these streets already
    A friend of mine picked up a CBR600, was showing off 3 days after he got it.. Layed it down doing ~140km/hr across an intersection. He slid thru 2 fenced yards, busting the fences up, and has a huge scar on his hip. Needless to say, he kept the bike, did some body work, drove it for 3 months and sold it

I doubt he'll do that again. one of those "i told you so stories"

JZ

- 2.8v6, 5spd, no cat, msd ignition/coil, K&N

ecstasy_civic is offline MMA guru, but still rage2's bitch
    My Ride
    08 Si

a friend of mine in burnaby killed himself on his bike last august.

we had just left the gym and i was stuck at the light southbound and saw him come up beside me ready to merge westbound he went to pull a wheelie out of the merge lane onto oncoming traffic and got it up and when it went to put it down he turned his wheel and when he came down it threw the bike into a spin and he didnt let go and he hit a light standard and split him and the bike in half.

i couldnt believe it. i immediatly ran from my car to him but he was in pieces everywhere. i was so upset. i had a plan of ordering an r6 same as his when i got back to calgary. and now it scares me everytime i think about guys stunting on there bikes.
    it just goes to show even if your an experianced rider like he was, things can happen.

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
    a friend of mine in burnaby killed himself on his bike last august.

we had just left the gym and i was stuck at the light southbound and saw him come up beside me ready to merge westbound he went to pull a wheelie out of the merge lane onto oncoming traffic and got it up and when it went to put it down he turned his wheel and when he came down it threw the bike into a spin and he didnt let go and he hit a light standard and split him and the bike in half.

i couldnt believe it. i immediatly ran from my car to him but he was in pieces everywhere. i was so upset. i had a plan of ordering an r6 same as his when i got back to calgary. and now it scares me everytime i think about guys stunting on there bikes.
    it just goes to show even if your an experianced rider like he was, things can happen.
    Sorry to hear that ....i dont think i trust myself enough to get a bike...dont have a clue in the world what i would be doing( no bike experience whatsoever), and i think i want to keep it that way.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    08 Si

there lots of fun, thtas why i wanted one.
    if i got one now i would be so careful and so scared id do soemthing stupid like that.

My Ride
    '08 Mitsubishi Lancer, '97 GMC Jimmy

Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
    there lots of fun, thtas why i wanted one.
    if i got one now i would be so careful and so scared id do soemthing stupid like that.
    exactly, they would be a blast to own..but too risky i think, ( for someone inexperienced)....4 of my friends from high school ( a year younger than me) all just got Bikes for this Summer, all got ATLEAST a 600, and only 1 of the 4 has ANY expereince on a Bike before....and they are all the type of guy that would want to show off by doing tricks etc.. looks like i gotta go buy a black Suit.
    "Car Manufacturers give us a well engineered basic car but leave it's real development to us."

My Ride
    08 Si

so true, tip top has a good sale on lol i just bought one.

there so scary because of the purpose theyre made for. i mean if you have experiance and actually know what your doing, theyd be awesome but for people who just buy one "just to have" its stupid. thtas why i dont think ill be buying one any time soon. im happy driving on 4 wheels safely

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Er, I heard that 99 CBR600F4's are good beginner bikes. Especially the ones in red and black.

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Originally posted by gpomp
    Er, I heard that 99 CBR600F4's are good beginner bikes. Especially the ones in red and black.
    Wooo... what a coincidence... I have a 99 CBR600F4 red/black beginner bike for sale!!! Kenny, this is your lucky day!

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Here are some of my comments to some of your comments...

I agree with some of you who thinks that it doesn't really matter what kind of bike you get cause just because you drive a ferrari, doesn't mean that you have to drive at it's limits. BUT, I do agree with some of you that there are bikes out there that are less forgiving than others, whether it be cornering, shifting, riding position, etc. It might be easier to drive a civic than a ferrari, based on it's size and gear ratio... Just because ferraris are not meant to be a "confort" car. Just like in motorcycle terminology, it'd be the difference between a 600cc Honda vs a 1000cc Suzuki... And I do disagree with some of you who *thinks* that just because a 1000cc bike have a bigger engine, DOES NOT mean that it's heavier than a 600cc bike!!! As a matter of fact, if you check the Honda website, a CBR600F4i weight exactly the same as a CBR954RR (370lbs dry)... So, if the only reason why you don't want to get a 1000cc bike because it's "too big" for you, think again. But seriously, a 600cc Honda is a good place to start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast