Quantcast
2001 Yamaha R6 or 1988 Yamaha FZR1000 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2001 Yamaha R6 or 1988 Yamaha FZR1000

My Ride
    2006 Chev Colbalt & 2000 Kawasaki ZX-9R

Default 2001 Yamaha R6 or 1988 Yamaha FZR1000

Ok.. i missed the boat on the katana.. boo oh well so anywhay i have 2 options.. i need to knwo which one is gonna be the best.. ok here it is...

#1. i would get a 2001 Yamaha R6 for my 1995 mazda mx3 and i would also pay him $1200..

#2 keep my car and pay $800 - $1000 for a 1988 Yamaha FZR1000 that has a rebuilt motor and tranny. He has recipts for almost $6000 just needs to pay child support and a loan.

Which would u do.. i really like the idea of a newer bike but the deal sees good for the old bike... ?? im lost..

My Ride
    MB C230 Kompressor/ Gsxr 600

Get the new bike.

The 88 is still carburated and a very old body style.
    No matter how much work has been done on it, your always gonna have issues, but if you are prepared to spend time working on it get it.

I used to have a 97 Gsxr that was carburated and it was a pain in the butt , + it lacked power.

Then I got fuel injected, and wouldnt go back.

I just dont know if its worth trading your car in and adding an extra 1200$ on top of that for the bike.
    See what they are all worth before you make that choice.

Is this your fist bike?

K

My Ride

not my first bike.. ive had 2 others before.. a fzr1000 and a fzr 600 so i knwo them.. but as well i dont think the 01 r6 is fuel injected..

Nope, 03 was the first yr of fuel injection for the 6.. But don't let that fool you.. Things have been carburated for a 100 years, theres nothing wrong with carbs, don't fiddle with them if they don't need it, and if they do need it, get someone to do it that knows what they are doing.. theres 01 r6's around with 40-70,000 kms.. so if maintained well they'll last a long time..

My Ride

so all in all the r6 is probably the best way to go? or should i save some money and my car and get the older bike

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I vote for the older bike and keeping the car. A new bike doesn't do you any good in the winter.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride

im not really worried about the winter time.. i want the bike for next year and the year after.. then might upgrade to new..

My Ride
    06 Nissan Frontier LE - 06 GSXR 6 - 07 Yamaha R1

Originally posted by GiXxXie
    Get the new bike.

The 88 is still carburated and a very old body style.
    No matter how much work has been done on it, your always gonna have issues, but if you are prepared to spend time working on it get it.

I used to have a 97 Gsxr that was carburated and it was a pain in the butt , + it lacked power.

Then I got fuel injected, and wouldnt go back.

I just dont know if its worth trading your car in and adding an extra 1200$ on top of that for the bike.
    See what they are all worth before you make that choice.

Is this your fist bike?

K
    Nice ass in your avatar!

I would get the R6 for sure!

My Ride

wow... looks like the r6 is winning.. lol

All the younger guys will say the r6, and although Im quite a bit younger than bandit, I have to say r6 just for the fact I am basically thru with old bikes. Unless they are totally mint, with low kms, and always very well looked after.. Just the history I've had with older bikes, I got to the point where I said the hell with them, I'm not dumping money into a cheap bike, I'd rather save up that extra time and get something good. I love working on bikes, but it really gets to you, when you look after it, but things keep going wrong, it ruins plans, trips..etc.. And not things you caused, just things from age, that keeping adding up... So you may go buy a bike thats only 1000 bux, but you end up dumping a lot of money into them, especially if you can't fix things yourself.. I've even had to do crank swaps, so I'm glad I know how to work on them, but the downtime sux in itself..

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    All the younger guys will say the r6, and although Im quite a bit younger than bandit, I have to say r6 just for the fact I am basically thru with old bikes. Unless they are totally mint, with low kms, and always very well looked after.. Just the history I've had with older bikes, I got to the point where I said the hell with them, I'm not dumping money into a cheap bike, I'd rather save up that extra time and get something good. I love working on bikes, but it really gets to you, when you look after it, but things keep going wrong, it ruins plans, trips..etc.. And not things you caused, just things from age, that keeping adding up... So you may go buy a bike thats only 1000 bux, but you end up dumping a lot of money into them, especially if you can't fix things yourself.. I've even had to do crank swaps, so I'm glad I know how to work on them, but the downtime sux in itself..

Are you callin' me old?
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

I'd go with the R6 as well.

I own a 77 KZ650 - which I was rebuilding. And well, I just bought a new 06 Ninja ZX-6R. So now I have a bike I can have some fun on, while I rebuild the older cruiser.

And yes, the carbs are being a bitch. I knwo fuel injection. This jetting stuff is a PITA. And well the points ignition ain't helping much either in this case.

R6. Just newer technology all around.