Quantcast
Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNew...432529-ap.html

CALGARY (CP) — It is now against the law in Calgary to fight, spit or pee in public or to put your feet up on public benches.

City council voted Monday in favour of a bylaw that calls for stiff fines for such behaviour.

The bylaw narrowly passed despite a protest by dozens of Calgarians who fear it will unfairly target homeless people.

Ald. Joe Ceci, who voted against the bylaw, said he was disappointed by the result.

“This law goes into effect and if you’re a person without resources, it may be disproportionately used against you,” Ceci said.

The bylaw, which will come into effect immediately, will also target public defecation, loitering or carrying a visible knife with fines ranging from $50 to $300.

Attempts by some on council to delay the final vote failed.

Laurie Fuhr of the Calgary Housing Action Initiative said her group has been circulating a petition in hopes of quashing the bylaw and plans to continue the fight.

“There’s parts of the bylaw . . . that are really discriminatory to a certain group,” she said.

“It effectively makes it illegal to panhandle or even to huddle or sleep outside.”

Calgary officials have said the bylaw was drafted to curtail those who are disrespectful of the community.

Other cities are grappling with the same problems.

In Saskatoon, the Public Spitting, Urination and Defecation Prohibition Bylaw has been in effect for two years.

The British Columbia capital of Victoria recently announced that it will place two portable urinals each night in its bar district.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I like this law but it won't solve the pan handling and homeless problem in the core.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

Originally posted by 89coupe

The British Columbia capital of Victoria recently announced that it will place two portable urinals each night in its bar district.
    Yeah, those aren't going to get knocked over at every opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Re: Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Yeah, those aren't going to get knocked over at every opportunity.
    Is that something you would do?

My Ride
    MB C63

why dont they throw up a few of those washrooms that are self cleaning

i remember a long time ago i think it was chicago or something in the downtown area. Awesome idea atleast people have a place to pee without having to go into a building considering most of them close at or around 6pm

and the fact that none of our ctrain stations have bathrooms sucks too.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

Not myself, especially at my age, but when I was 19 and going to the bar, I knew a whole lot of people who would do stuff like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

What the hell? Now it's illegal for people to drop a deuce on the sidewalk???? What is this place coming to?

Brad, on a side note I've noticed that you love to post news and controversial subjects. Yet you always fail to follow it up with an opinion until such a point that someone voices one different from yours. Is there some kind of theme going on? Are you scared we'll laugh at you? Or do you just like to play Beyond Anchorman?

I like the public peeing by-law. They should set up cops behind the hedge in front of Western High School.

My wife and I would never walk on that side of the street because we constantly had to step around streams of piss flowing across the sidewalk.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Then we should fix the problem and give the homeless people a home to go to. Just because they don't have a home doesn't mean it's ok to take a dump in front of some building. Spitting, urinating and defecating in a common area is very hard to justify. I'm sure most of us don't do that in our living room. Feet on bench can be annoying sometimes but a by-law to ban it is a bit too far.

That being said, it won't be right if the by-law officers focus on the homeless people. But to the rude people spitting on the sidewalk in the middle of downtown or the drunk taking a piss on the side of a building, they should receive a ticket.

Default Re: Re: Re: Calgary bans public peeing, fighting, spitting

After 15 beers, I definitely would.

Originally posted by lilmira
    Then we should fix the problem and give the homeless people a home to go to. Just because they don't have a home doesn't mean it's ok to take a dump in front of some building. Spitting, urinating and defecating in a common area is very hard to justify. I'm sure most of us don't do that in our living room. Feet on bench can be annoying sometimes but a by-law to ban it is a bit too far.

That being said, it won't be right if the by-law officers focus on the homeless people. But to the rude people spitting on the sidewalk in the middle of downtown or the drunk taking a piss on the side of a building, they should receive a ticket.

Why should we "give" them anything? If they require something then they should be forced to work for it just like you and I. If I don't hold down a job, pay my dues, etc I'd be homeless too...as would everyone else. You want something then earn it. Everyone has a skill or a tool that can be put to work...just because they may not have my skills doesn't mean they are unable to perform some kind of work.

^ You do realize that a lot of them have mental disabilities that prevent them from holding a steady job like you and I. It's not like everyone who lives on the street is just lazy, eh
    Originally posted by maZda3
    so ima stop talkin cuz its not me thats emberasing myself but you...so yea pce

^ Hey smart guy, you do realize that a lot of other people with disabilities manage to hold down a job as well?

My Ride
    99 Civic Si

what's the drop-in-centre all about then???

My Ride
    MB C63

the problem with homeless people is that they dont know the value of the dollar

when you work for your money you realize that for them they ask someone on the street for 50 cents and another 50 cents and they have a dollar. If they continue being able to get that why would they work?

what people really need to stop doing is giving the homeless free things like shelters and money altho sometimes you do feel bad for them its life and they should learn.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I don't mean no giving them million-dollar home. They just need a shelter kind of place to stay in during the night. We do live in a society and we should help out and take care of the ones that can't take care of themselves. If I go rock bottom one day, I would appreciate help from the others as well.

Though everyone should try their best to take care of themselves. I wouldn't support some poor guy who is too lazy to look for a job.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by NATAS.KAUPAS

Why should we "give" them anything? If they require something then they should be forced to work for it just like you and I. If I don't hold down a job, pay my dues, etc I'd be homeless too...as would everyone else. You want something then earn it. Everyone has a skill or a tool that can be put to work...just because they may not have my skills doesn't mean they are unable to perform some kind of work.
    Wow, that is a pretty ignorant statement. There are plenty of people who are hard working and hold a steady job that have no home to go to. There are families that spend their nights in a different homeless shelter every night because they can't afford rent even though both parents have jobs.

It is hard to live on $10 / hour espcially in this city right now. People need to be more sensitive.

Do you think that people want to be dirty and homeless? Do you think that they choose to smell like piss all the time? There are many reasons why people are out on the street. Reasons that most people cannot begin to comprehend.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by hoamic11
    what's the drop-in-centre all about then???
    I heard that place get filled up pretty quick when it's cold out.

My Ride
    99 Blazer

^^ that is fairly true.
    What about the scam artist addicts??? Giving them money is not helping, and they are not being responsible or anything. So for them I to agree dont give them shit.

However how am I to tell them apart?? Unfourtunately the good ones will suffer as well.

My Ride
    MB C63

that drop in center is huge
    ive been there several times...not cuz im homeless but to cook for them and that thing could easily house 2000 people.

on the dining hall floor there was close to 700 or so people and i believe there is 4-5 floors.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast