Quantcast
How to be safe under a car... - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to be safe under a car...

My Ride
    1.5JZ Supra

Whatever kind of jack you want. Most people are talking about a nice hydraulic (F-1 style I suppose) floor jack.

Last edited by Your Mom on 02-30-2010 at 12:30 AM

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

The biggest issues with the ramps though...working on the brakes or suspension...how can you when the wheel is still bolted on??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

well if your working with brakes and suspension you will have to use jackstands no matter what. just get some good ones and make sure the car is completely stable before working.

My Ride
    SRT

umm, seriously, what is the big deal here? jackSTANDS are just that... those things will hold the car no matter what... if you are afraid jack all four sides and put jackstands on all 4 corners; the car wont move no matter what...

i dont think it's THAT wrong to jack the car with the hydraulic jack, and then put a jackstand right next to it, but still resting hte car on the hydraulic jack... i do that most of the time when i change the oil and stuff... if the jack starts losing pressure (which mine dont, eventhough they;re cheap ) it'll drop the 1/4 inch onto the stand, or if it fails, same thing will happen... my only concern when i do that is that i'm not 1/4 inch away from the underbody of the car and still get smacked, so i hang really low and it's a very quick in and out...

always use jackstands correctly and you'll never have a problem

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Dont do this.

User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    91 GT-R, 09 A4

better yet, buy a hoist
    DTP Idol Champion 2008
    No, YOU'RE on the wrong side

This is what we did when I installed my turbo kit. Jack stands all 4 corners. Heavy duty ones though. Make sure they have proper load capacity.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by gp36912
    well if your working with brakes and suspension you will have to use jackstands no matter what. just get some good ones and make sure the car is completely stable before working.
    I can do suspension on all 4 corners of my car in just over an hr, with 1 jack.

My Ride
    red slowpoke, black beast, red 4wheeler

struts up front and shocks in the rear? and youve problably got air tools too
    Last edited by gp36912; 11-30-2006 at 02:47 AM.

My Ride
    GMC : S15 sierra clasic (2.8), Jimmy SLT (4.3)

well see now what i would do *spit* is jack the o'le camaro up on the jack and put some cinderblocks under-it. then "HOCK-Pthw" id sit im muh kiddy pool with some beer before i got down to the serious work. but see i never got much further then that. i always fell asleep an' mable would come on over home and wake my ass up outta that chair and i plum dun forgot aboot that car

when cut open, the rambutan unfortunately fails miserably to deviate from its outwardly testicular appearance, revealing an inside that looks for all the world exactly how you'd expect the contents of a scrotum to look.

I always make sure to use jackstands. Plus I keep the floor jack in place just in case. But that's now becoming a thing of the past - I'd rather not crawl under the car anymore. Taking the risk is just not worth saving a couple bucks - I'd rather just bring the car to a shop or to a place with a hoist.

Originally posted by ryder_23

I can do suspension on all 4 corners of my car in just over an hr, with 1 jack.
    That's amazing considering the rears are a huge pain in the ass for prelude.

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Jackstands + a person supervising to rush a jack under if the thing falls on you... most times if a car falls on someone, they do not immediately die (unless the car is 5 feet off the ground), the majority of people are asphyxiated.

My Ride
    14 ZL1

One of the things I do for that extra safety factor (aside from the proper jackstands in the correct locations) is put the wheels and tires I remove under the car as something to fall onto if it ever does fall.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

didnt read but i always
    1. chalk (stops) wheels that arent being lifted off the ground
    2. use square based jack stands under each corner
    3. lower the car onto the stands and leave the hydrolic jack 1cm away from touching the car still up though.
    4. from above that car give it a good shake, HELLA SHAKE!
    5. work on that shit your safe as you can be.
    6. if your worried about being under your car... YOU SHOULDNT BE THERE

My Ride
    SRT

this thread is SAD... do you know why jackstands dont come with instructions?? COZ THEY ARE IDIOT PROOF!!!!!! jack a side of the car, and put a jackstand under it! WOW, rocket science... in case you guys forgot, you have EBRAKES so if your car ever rolls off a jackstand you absolutely deserve it... "uuuuuu i wont get under a car coz it'll fall on me"... if you think like that then seriously just dont bother... you're obviously not the type of person who gets their hands dirty... you'll be under the car and be like "uuuuu gross, better wear gloves all the dirt might infect me" pay $100 to have a 20min break job done, spent 60/oil change to have someone else do it, and dont put yourself in danger mechanics will love you

you dont need to crawl under the car for most things... you just reach under with like a quarter of your body or with your hands... you should almost never need to be fully under the car... i cant believe there are people here who havent jacked their car once in their whole life to change a tire guess what, it's not any more involved than that... jackstands hold like a tone each...seriously, how the hell do you have an accident using jackstands

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

^^^ Spaz much?

Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    91 GT-R, 09 A4

Originally posted by riceeater
    this thread is SAD... do you know why jackstands dont come with instructions?? COZ THEY ARE IDIOT PROOF!!!!!! jack a side of the car, and put a jackstand under it! WOW, rocket science... in case you guys forgot, you have EBRAKES so if your car ever rolls off a jackstand you absolutely deserve it... "uuuuuu i wont get under a car coz it'll fall on me"... if you think like that then seriously just dont bother... you're obviously not the type of person who gets their hands dirty... you'll be under the car and be like "uuuuu gross, better wear gloves all the dirt might infect me" pay $100 to have a 20min break job done, spent 60/oil change to have someone else do it, and dont put yourself in danger mechanics will love you

you dont need to crawl under the car for most things... you just reach under with like a quarter of your body or with your hands... you should almost never need to be fully under the car... i cant believe there are people here who havent jacked their car once in their whole life to change a tire guess what, it's not any more involved than that... jackstands hold like a tone each...seriously, how the hell do you have an accident using jackstands
    best rant ever!
    DTP Idol Champion 2008
    No, YOU'RE on the wrong side

My Ride
    '07 Ranger FX4 Level II

I had this car on jack stands for about 3 months, it was rested on sprung weight (used the control arms), so springs would not strech. I have never seen a car fall off jack stands that where placed properly (expept on Top gear).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Originally posted by rage2

Just because you're older... doesn't mean you need older women. Nothing wrong with an 18 year old here and there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2