Quantcast
Thermostat for Radiant Heating? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Thermostat for Radiant Heating?

Default Thermostat for Radiant Heating?

Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with a heating problem. I have radiant in floor heating. Lately its been a little cold in my house (17 or 18degree where I would like 21 or so). When I turn up the heat on my thermostat, nothing seems to happen. So I am assuming that my thermostat isn't working. I have been trying to find a new thermostat to buy. However I don't know much about them. The ones I could find seem to be more for forced air, or baseboard heating. Coming out of my wall connecting to the thermostat are only 2 wires, a red and a black.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with which kind I need and suggestions on good brands, places to buy, etc. I tried finding someone to ask at Home Depot but couldn't find anyone who seemed to know about them. Any advice would be appreciated as I'm freezing my nuts off in here.

Thanks.

My Ride
    89 Colt Turbo

is what u set it at match the temp reading?

My Ride
    '03 Altima, '07 F150

If it's hot water heating you have to go to a plumber. If it's electric heat then you need to know what make you have installed. Check the thermostat you have installed now. It should be Nu-Heat or Easy-Heat or something like that. Dependig on who it is will depend on where you can buy a replacement. Radiant thermostats are a lot more sophisticated than conventional forced-air t-stats. Keep in mind a replacement will run you about $150.
    R.I.P. Mercedes-Rae Clarke
    Nov 91 - Sept 05

Originally posted by Slashin_
    is what u set it at match the temp reading?
    No, I can set it all the way to max which is 30 and the temp will still read at around 17 even several hours later. This is why I am guessing it is the thermostat which is the problem.

Black_ZX2....... It is hotwater heating. The thermostat that I have now is just a cheap looking Honeywell one. It doesn't have digital display or anything fancy. When I look under the cover it has a liquid filled (mercury?) bubble which tilts when you reduce or increase the setting. It looks very similar to this:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

I would prefer not to get the exact same one because it looks very cheap and also my apartment is only 5yrs old, so this thermostat obviously didn't last very well. So I was hoping to put in a better quality one.

Why would I need a plumber? It appears to me that if I get the right type thermostat, that I could just unattach the 2 wires from the old one and hook them to the new one. Why will this not work? What is it that a plumber would have to do?

As for the cost, I'd prefer to spend less of course. However its important to me not to be cold so I will be paying whatever I need to get it working right.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 11-27-2006 at 01:22 AM.

My Ride
    '03 Altima, '07 F150

I'm not as familiar with hot water heating, but I would almost guarantee the problem is the thermostat. That style is usually not meant for hot water, in-floor heating. I should have been more specific about the plumber. You don't need an actual plumber, just a plumbing supply store like Wolseley or Emco. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.
    R.I.P. Mercedes-Rae Clarke
    Nov 91 - Sept 05

Originally posted by Black_ZX2
    I'm not as familiar with hot water heating, but I would almost guarantee the problem is the thermostat. That style is usually not meant for hot water, in-floor heating. I should have been more specific about the plumber. You don't need an actual plumber, just a plumbing supply store like Wolseley or Emco. They will be able to steer you in the right direction.

OK, that makes sense. I will try to go to plumbfill warehouse by chinook when I get a chance. For now I have just been turning my oven on for a couple hrs which warms the place up somewhat. Thanks for the help Black_ZX2.