Quantcast
Electricals dim and nearly die when I step on the brakes - help! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Electricals dim and nearly die when I step on the brakes - help!

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Default Electricals dim and nearly die when I step on the brakes - help!

Recently with all this cold weather, I noticed my car's electricals seem to dim when I step on the brakes. But in the past two days, the problem has gotten worse! There were times where the radio shut off, the headlights turned right off, and what seemed like the car was stalling!

I thought maybe I just needed to drive around for the alternator to charge the battery up a bit more, but even after an hour of driving around today, the problem was still there. I know absolutely nothing about car electronics other than how to boost a car. Any suggestions or help would be awesome.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

Take your batt out and get it checked at CT. Or if you have a multimeter, use it, and check the voltage after the car has been running. If it is not up to par, your probably need a new batt.

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

EXACT same thing happened to me radio and everything, the problem was in the cold my battery didnt have enough power, "cold cranking amps (CCA)" i bought a new battery with 200more CCA and problems completely went away i like the die hard batteries from kaltire good warrenty and never die... i had my old batt. tested and it passed just wasent powerful enough in the cold.

My Ride
    a wrx.

2 things. Buy an Optima and a new alternator...no worries anymore.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

2 things:
    -I can't justify paying $200 for a battery that I'll barely put to good use, and
    -have you ever tried changing an alternator on a Civic? I'd either have to remove the master cylinder, rebleed, etc, etc. OR remove the driver's side axle! I don't mind doing it, but not when it's -25 outside.

But thanks all for the responses though. Anyone know where the cheapest batteries are at the moment? I read the battery thread already and been to WalMart, they weren't the quoted $50 as stated on Beyond, but rather $70-80 (with trade-in). Anywhere else that's cheaper?

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
    2 things:
    -I can't justify paying $200 for a battery that I'll barely put to good use, and
    -have you ever tried changing an alternator on a Civic? I'd either have to remove the master cylinder, rebleed, etc, etc. OR remove the driver's side axle! I don't mind doing it, but not when it's -25 outside.

But thanks all for the responses though. Anyone know where the cheapest batteries are at the moment? I read the battery thread already and been to WalMart, they weren't the quoted $50 as stated on Beyond, but rather $70-80 (with trade-in). Anywhere else that's cheaper?
    Geez, if you want to be a stingy scrooge to your car, just say so and I'll suggest cheaper options!

2 things:

-buy a battery from the junkyard. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.
    -use a friend's garage to re+re the alternator.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

u dont need to remove the right axle apparently

I was told that if u rest it on the tie rod and rotate the steering wheel back and forth it will pop right out

last one i did, i removed the axle, and thats a pain.

2 things:

umm..I've changed mine a few times. You don't need to remove anything. You can remove the top tensioning bolt from above the car. Then you get underneath and remove the bottom pivot bolt by reaching around the axle. Simple, 10 min job. And BTW, I doubt you need a new battery, but it sounds like you definetely need a new alternator.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Geez, if you want to be a stingy scrooge to your car, just say so and I'll suggest cheaper options!
    What do you expect...I'm still a student AND I'm Chinese. I find different ways of stretching my already stretched penny! You of all people should understand, afterall, you'll in the same boat!

Okay, so I've never changed the alternator before, but I was looking up how to do so on honda-tech and that was the general consensus. I'll try and get the battery tested in the next few days first, and if that's not the culprit, I'll shop around for a good priced used alternator (out comes my cheap side again ).

My Ride
    a wrx.

What do you expect...I'm still a student AND I'm Chinese. I find different ways of stretching my already stretched penny! You of all people should understand, afterall, you'll in the same boat!
    For what it's worth, I use an Optima redtop and once my alternator dies, it will be rebuilt to put out 100+ amps. My car is one thing that I never cheap out on.

Different philosophies I guess...

I have a brand new alternator that was used for 3 weeks. I'll sell it to you for the core charge. The only problem is that it has a little oil on it from a leaky cam seal. It worked perfectly but I don't know how far the oil penetrated and if that could cause a problem down the road. PM me if you want it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I'm in need of a new alternator as well

If he doesn't take it, pm me with the price

lol... and maybe a little extra to help me do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

if its when ur driving sounds like alternator to me.

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

it IS possible to remove the alt without removing the axle

yup, buddy has done 4 times to his civic wihtout removing anything but bolts for the alternator and maybe one hose.