Quantcast
Raise, what raise? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raise, what raise?

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

Default Raise, what raise?

Well, is it illegal to give someone a raise, and take it away without reason?

Well, that's what hapenned to me. They gave me a raise on April 25th, and I find out now, the cutoff for payday, that they decided to take it away. I told accounting upstairs to take the rest of my $1200 repair bill off my paycheque, thinking that I would have been fine. The rest of the repair bill was $572.12, and now I'm not going to have much of a cheque left to live off of for the next 2 weeks.

Isn't it illegal to take away a persons raise because it cost the employer too much money? BTW, my raise was $3800 extra a year...and I'm damn sure I didn't do anything wrong.

And please, don't post anything demeaning; I'm asking this to find out peoples opinions on it, or if someone knows the answer.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Default Re: Raise, what raise?

Originally posted by calarina
    Well, is it illegal to give someone a raise, and take it away without reason?

Well, that's what hapenned to me. They gave me a raise on April 25th, and I find out now, the cutoff for payday, that they decided to take it away. I told accounting upstairs to take the rest of my $1200 repair bill off my paycheque, thinking that I would have been fine. The rest of the repair bill was $572.12, and now I'm not going to have much of a cheque left to live off of for the next 2 weeks.

Isn't it illegal to take away a persons raise because it cost the employer too much money? BTW, my raise was $3800 extra a year...and I'm damn sure I didn't do anything wrong.

And please, don't post anything demeaning; I'm asking this to find out peoples opinions on it, or if someone knows the answer.
    Do you have it in writing?
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    Civic

have you talked to anyone, and asked why?

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

I do have it in writing. I was told because an extra $3800 a year cost my employer too much money, and I had already had a raise after a month of working here. But my manager, and the Human Relations director both agreed to giving me a raise.

My Ride
    E90 335i

Originally posted by calarina
    I do have it in writing. I was told because an extra $3800 a year cost my employer too much money, and I had already had a raise after a month of working here. But my manager, and the Human Relations director both agreed to giving me a raise.
    If you have it in writing explicitly saying you have a raise I think you've got them bent over a barrel. $3800 a year is too much for them? I find that hard to believe!
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

My Ride
    MDX

Dont forget you've if you've only been there 3 months or less, they can terminate you with no warning or reason.

My Ride
    94' Terd

yeah if youve been there less than 3 months i wouldnt cause too much of a fuss.. who knows ull prob get that raise back within a couple months anyway. and ask them if it would be possible to hold off on the repair bill for another check since you wont be making as much anymore... it would only be fair

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

I have been here for more than 3 months, and I have it in writing that I'm a full time employee and had a raise.

And I can't tell them to hold off on the repair bill. Today was cut off, and it already went through...

My Ride
    a wrx.

the human stomach can actually digest toilet paper if ure really in a bind.

My Ride
    94' Terd

are you part of a union?

call the workers rights board... they helped me out when i was getting bent over by my old boss... its free cus you pay their salary basically so try that!!

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

I'm not part of any union I know about, except for UFCW when I was working for Safeway. :P

I work at a dealership, and as far as I know, we don't have unions here.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

I'd send an inquiry to the labour relations board, see what they say, if you have a leg to stand on, legally or otherwise.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    I'd send an inquiry to the labour relations board, see what they say, if you have a leg to stand on, legally or otherwise.
    Of course, expect to lose your job quickly after you file a complaint, should you have a leg to stand on. No employer is going to keep you after you've filed a complaint with a labour relations board, and any excuse can be used to terminate your employment.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

I can swing a mean sack of doorknobs

Call the LRB for sure, see what they say. But start looking for a new job, cause they wont keep you for long afterwards.
    Travel

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by Weapon_R

Of course, expect to lose your job quickly after you file a complaint, should you have a leg to stand on. No employer is going to keep you after you've filed a complaint with a labour relations board, and any excuse can be used to terminate your employment.
    Its not like you have to file a complaint, they DO offer advice without opening a file.
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    335i

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    Its not like you have to file a complaint, they DO offer advice without opening a file.
    I meant if and when she does decide to file a complaint, actually.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

Well, I just had a talk with my boss, and he persistantly kept telling me "Oh, it's coming, don't worry! Be patient!". Patient? I had it in writing that I was going to get a raise, and I even showed it to him. This just pisses me off, because now it's going to take me longer to save up for my downpayment on my car...

Well, speaking from experience, they're most likely BS'ing you around because:

1) You're young.
    2) You appear weak.
    3) You're being a push over.

Remember, you work for them, not the other way around and they're not going to do you any favors. You have every right to close the managers door and say "this is bullshit."

My Ride
    2001 E46 M3 LSB

The manager and I share an office. If he thinks I'm a pushover, then he has another thing comming. I'm either getting this raise back, or going somewhere else that won't screw me over.

My boss claims I do such a good job at everything I do, that if he hears I'm leaving, he'll approach me with an offer. Hehe, I can be a bitch if I want to be, but that also limits my career, options, and doesn't make the upper management think too highly of me. That's why I haven't done much of anything yet, except for talking with Simon, and trying to get as much answers out of him, as I can.

My Ride
    2009 STi

that if he hears I'm leaving, he'll approach me with an offer.
    Probably not. A lot of companies will just do bastard things to their employees when they want them to leave (not saying this is your case or anything). Its a lot better for a company for a person to quit than to fire them. They open up a whole new problem for themselves when they have to go and fire someone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast