Quantcast
rebuild questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: rebuild questions

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Default rebuild questions

my motor has 250000km on it and the compression is just now below spec(133psi) 129psi. i was wondering what was involved in a rebuild if i get a kit im have attened sait for automotives and am quite capable but i was wondering about getting the block machined etc. what would i need to have done that i couldnt do in my garage? im a newb in this so anything you know about doing a rebuild let me know

My Ride
    2014 Evo X GSR

I also drive a dsm haha. Compression numbers can be misleading at times. Like I guess it could be anything, rings, headgasket etc. Theres really two options. Get a "new" motor, or rebuild. Theres tradeoffs for both I guess.

With rebuild you can put in forged parts (eagle rods/pistons etc etc) and therefore you have the ability to make more out of the motor. Can cost alot (depending on what kind of rebuild "kit" you get) and take some time. Things that you may not be able to do in your garage could be things like porting head, machining, etc etc.

With a swap, its relatively less time consuming and cost really varies. When my motor got to 110-100-89-90 and I screwed up my clutch I just went with a motor swap. For approx $1600 i got my hands on a used 6-bolt, jdm tranny, turbo etc etc with supposedly relatively low kilometers.

I see that you are a 2G guy. If you do a swap, you have the chance to switch to a 6-bolt motor that won't crankwalk on you.

So far its served me well, but if I had the time and money I'd do a rebuild.

then again im quite noob as well haha.

PS: slowboy racing sells rebuild kits

Hope this helps.
    2014 Evo X GSR
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

My Ride
    1996 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

yeah im worried about the crank walk if i rebuild i think i can get it fixed though i was reading about sending it in with your vin and they will give you new something to correct it. where would i get my engine ported and machined? how much skrilla?