Quantcast
Here we go again (sigh) X-mas rant - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go again (sigh) X-mas rant

Default Here we go again (sigh) X-mas rant

Another group feeling left out of Christmas feels the need to whine and complain and be included. Way to go. I like how they just pulled all the trees rather than add others to it but give me a break. Dont they have anything more important to attend. ah well at least Wal-Mart made their posistion clear.

SEATAC, Wash. -- All nine Christmas trees have been removed from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport instead of adding a giant Jewish menorah to the holiday display as a rabbi had requested.

Maintenance workers boxed up the trees during the graveyard shift early Saturday, when airport bosses believed few people would notice.

"We decided to take the trees down, because we didn't want to be exclusive," said airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt.

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, who made his request weeks ago, said he was appalled by the decision. He had threatened to sue if the Port of Seattle didn't add the menorah next to the trees.

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest.
    Last edited by 69cougar; 12-11-2006 at 05:11 PM.

My Ride
    01 Integra SE / 07 Lexus GS 450H

Wow thats retarded. Its not like Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky owns the Airport. The airport should be able to do what ever they want

My Ride
    2000 Civic SiR, 1984 Shadow 750

It's a tree.. make that 9 trees.. when did a tree become a symbol of Christianity? When will people learn to loosen up?

My Ride
    rubbish

This kind of garbage makes my blood boil. What surprises me the most is that it happened in the states, I would've thought they'd hold their ground a bit firmer than they did, but in Canada it would've been an instant flop over for sure.
    Last edited by 86max; 12-11-2006 at 10:58 AM.

My Ride
    JDM '91 Toyota MR2 GT

So, the guy requests that they put up a menorah at the Airport... big deal.

WTF is the problem? Put one up... What other holidays are during the same time as x-mas? None.... maybe Kwanza?

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

give a mouse a cookie and he'll want a glass of milk

what a bastard, is he at the airport so much that it offended him?
    Cos...

My Ride
    '09 STi

Wow, so many poeple making a big deal about a tree.

It should be whats in your heart if you truly beleive in Christmas, not in some tree.

Holy god some people have WAY too much time on their hands.

This is taking individualism to a whole new level.... I'm surprised he didnt sue for EMOTIONAL damages.

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

Originally posted by Envitro

WTF is the problem? Put one up... What other holidays are during the same time as x-mas? None.... maybe Kwanza?
    Fuck that. "seperation of church and state", not "state to incorporate every religion".
    Would you want your taxes to go up 15% so they can decorate the Calgary Airport for Ramadan?

The Rabbi is a press slut, and anyone who thinks he has a point is an fool.

The Christmas tree is the closest thing to being a "religiously androgenous" symbol for the holidays as we have.

Maybe if he's offended, someone should remind him that the Christians pretty much wiped out the pagans a long, long time ago, so their silly tree doesn't hold much of a threat anymore.

Relax there Rabbi. Most "pagans" are too busy playing Dungeons and Dragons and watching "Lord of the Rings" to go around luring people away from judaism.

Kris

I would rather non-religious people not celebrate Christmas at all. You dont see non-religious people celebrating Chanukhah, Ramadan, Kwanzaa or anything like that.

If non-religious people want a holiday, celebrate "Winter Solstice". Get together and exchange gifts tell your kids about Santa Claus and build a big Frosty The Snowman outside.

It would certainly create a whole lot less contraversy than worrying if "Christ" was in Christmas.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by TKRIS

Fuck that. "seperation of church and state", not "state to incorporate every religion".
    Would you want your taxes to go up 15% so they can decorate the Calgary Airport for Ramadan?

The Rabbi is a press slut, and anyone who thinks he has a point is an fool.

The Christmas tree is the closest thing to being a "religiously androgenous" symbol for the holidays as we have.

Maybe if he's offended, someone should remind him that the Christians pretty much wiped out the pagans a long, long time ago, so their silly tree doesn't hold much of a threat anymore.

Relax there Rabbi. Most "pagans" are too busy playing Dungeons and Dragons and watching "Lord of the Rings" to go around luring people away from judaism.

Kris
    Absolutely. If something doesn't apply to you, just ignore it. Does this idiot call the radio station every time he hears a Christmas carol in his car? I'll bet this bastard is a closet pork eater. These over-the-top morons who are out to prove a point are overcompensating for something.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Then you'll have to celebrate Chinese New Year, Japanese New Year, or whatever to celebrate in India or Africa, all year round or they'll call you racist.

So the simpliest answer is not celebrate anything at all.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by Xtrema

So the simpliest answer is not celebrate anything at all.
    ...or people celebrate according to their respective customs and leave everyone else to their own devices.

I don't know what is more offensive to me, people trying to opress Christmas decorations or the fact that people actually think a damn tree is a religious symbol.

Christians are useless. We rant about how people are destorying Christmas while we decorate pagan symbols in our living room so that Santa can put presents under it. Don't even get me started on Easter, a damn bunny has overshadowed the most important event of our faith.

Christians are the biggest culprits on the 'War on Christmas.' We're trying to save trees that have already been cut down when we should be trying to save nativity scenes.

My Ride
    2010 XFR, 2015 F-350

Originally posted by Cruz

I'll bet this bastard is a closet pork eater.
    This quote made my day.

BOT, the tree has nothing to do with the celebration of "Christmas", nor does Santa Clause, etc. If you don't believe in something, don't celebrate it.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by kertejud
    Don't even get me started on Easter, a damn bunny has overshadowed the most important event of our faith.
    But the chocolate~

You speak your sacrilege elsewhere!

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 04:00 AM.

thats absolute garbage. People need to relax and realize that the christmas tree is a sign of a holiday which isn't specifically related to religion to a certain extent. In north america we have made christmas not a religious holiday but one where we emphasize the ideas of sharing, kindness and respect. That is the universal sign of a christmas tree in north america. It is not one to promote religion but rather togetherness of all people.

My Ride
    2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    Why was it so hard for SeaTac airport to put up a menorah?
    This is the main reason:

Originally posted by TKRIS

What's to stop the every ethnic group from making the same claim/request?

My Ride
    '08 F150: 1956 Olds Super 88

I don't know what is more offensive to me, people trying to opress Christmas decorations or the fact that people actually think a damn tree is a religious symbol.

Christians are useless. We rant about how people are destorying Christmas while we decorate pagan symbols in our living room so that Santa can put presents under it. Don't even get me started on Easter, a damn bunny has overshadowed the most important event of our faith.
    Another pagan ripoff.

Christians are the biggest culprits on the 'War on Christmas.' We're trying to save trees that have already been cut down when we should be trying to save nativity scenes.
    I say put up all the nativity displayes you want.
    As long as it's not funded by tax dollars and put on public land, that is...

As a non-christian, I have no problem whatsoever seeing them, nor do I have any right to complain if someone chooses to put one up on their front lawn.
    As long as I'm not paying for it, do whatever floats your boat.

Kris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast