Quantcast
anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job?

Default anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job?

one more day in this damn cubicle and im gonna freak. What are the alternatives? WTF am I doing with my life.

boo hoo

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

HA HA! It's natural to get tired of doing the same thing every day. In fact after 10 years I'm pretty well sick of the entire oil & gas industry. You run into the same old people at different companies doing the same thing. Everyone wants everything yesterday. Feast or famine. Unfortunately there aren't alot of perfect jobs as people that have them tend to keep them and unless you are fortunate to work around something that is a passion for you it's always going to become tedious.

BTW: I usually associate high paying jobs with people that have an office and not a cubicle.

If it wasnt for the very good pay, i wouldnt be here. But its just to save up some money.

I am worried about my career path though, doubting ill ever be working my dream job

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    boo hoo

Sig nuked by mod.

Originally posted by CaseoftheEX
    If it wasnt for the very good pay, i wouldnt be here. But its just to save up some money.

I am worried about my career path though, doubting ill ever be working my dream job
    exactly....

now, why i specified high paying is due to it being much harder to just "quit and do something else" when you cant think of anything else that would pay nearly as well. Giving up your house your car your toys. Its like the Devil stringing you along with riches and material goods in exchange for your soul.

Originally posted by heavyD
    BTW: I usually associate high paying jobs with people that have an office and not a cubicle.
    in today's oil and gas market you'd be surprised what some cubicle jockeys are making. Well maybe you wouldnt. Maybe its not high paying compared to others, but its enough to string you along "just for the money" and nothing else

My Ride
    02 Accord

Default Re: anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job?

Originally posted by BigMass
    one more day in this damn cubicle and im gonna freak. What are the alternatives? WTF am I doing with my life.
    Ouch man. How high a pay are we talking about here? Everyone gets bored with their jobs. I would hate to work in a friggin cubicle though, jesus. I make in the 50s, which is, "decent." I want to make ALOT more. The ppl I work with are awesome though. I have a full sized office, with a view, a fridge ummm "stocked," which I take advantage of on fridays with the staff. I'm pretty much left alone all day to do as I please, some days I just sit here. I like it, but sometimes, like you I feel the same way. If you honestly cant stand it, then its definatly time for a change. I personally feel I could do this for a few more seasons. That is if they keep me, funny just as I was writing this my productions manager walked by and asked me my unit count for today. lol... "good" he says

exactly....

now, why i specified high paying is due to it being much harder to just "quit and do something else" when you cant think of anything else that would pay nearly as well. Giving up your house your car your toys. Its like the Devil stringing you along with riches and material goods in exchange for your soul.
    Look at it this way. Id much rather be working a job I hate (but make real good $$$ while at it), and actually doing something good in my life, than be unemployeed, sit at home everyday hoping for my dream job to come up. Not saying this is you, but trust me, there are people like this.

At least when Im making money I feel good about myself. Even though its not a career job, at least finically Im able to work myself up in life. The work itself make blow but I go to work to do my job, make money and get the fuk out - not to make friends. Ppsst, I dont really get along with people @ work, just one friend, thats it. If hes not there, im pretty much a loner. But I dont let that bother me.

What do you do btw big mass?
    Last edited by CaseoftheEX; 12-11-2006 at 04:35 PM.

My Ride
    V6 Hybrids

At least you office guys get the weekends off. Us restaurant guys go 7 days a week. It would be so nice to have one day off to do absolutely nothing.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Default Re: Re: anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job?

Originally posted by EnRich

Ouch man. How high a pay are we talking about here? Everyone gets bored with their jobs. I would hate to work in a friggin cubicle though, jesus. I make in the 50s, which is, "decent." I want to make ALOT more. The ppl I work with are awesome though. I have a full sized office, with a view, a fridge ummm "stocked," which I take advantage of on fridays with the staff. I'm pretty much left alone all day to do as I please, some days I just sit here. I like it, but sometimes, like you I feel the same way. If you honestly cant stand it, then its definatly time for a change. I personally feel I could do this for a few more seasons. That is if they keep me, funny just as I was writing this my productions manager walked by and asked me my unit count for today. lol... "good" he says
    Hiring? (No, really, are you?)

Honestly i love my office 9-5 job but it drives me nuts sometimes and feel like im accomplishing nothing other than assisting in the development of my ulcer.

I like being able to plan my life around this schedule though.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I WAS sick of my high paying job...so I quit it to do a job that I love that will pay MUCH higher than most can imagine

High paying is all relative. I don't think I would ever consider my job high paying. There's always someone that makes more than I do.

The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. But I don't think that's always the case. For everyone you hear of that was lucky enough to land a great job for doing nothing, there's someone on the other side who's working extremely hard and not being compensated fairly.

Default Re: Re: Re: anyone else hate/bored with their high paying job?

Originally posted by 403Gemini

I like being able to plan my life around this schedule though.
    I absolutely hate working a 9-5 F/T job, if its something I dont like doing. I did it before and nearly killed myself. Now, I do two jobs so when Im doing one, I can get away from the other. 40hrs is too much for me, especially at a job you hate.

But a jobs a job, its money. Most people hate what they are doing, but they have no choice. You just have to suck it up. Or else no food on the table.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Originally posted by richardchan2002
    High paying is all relative. I don't think I would ever consider my job high paying. There's always someone that makes more than I do.

The grass always seems to be greener on the other side. But I don't think that's always the case. For everyone you hear of that was lucky enough to land a great job for doing nothing, there's someone on the other side who's working extremely hard and not being compensated fairly.
    That's exactly what I was going to say.

To someone making $15/hour......$75,000 a year is like winning the lottery.

On the other hand if you have a mortgage, two kids, two cars, RRSP's, RESP's, a wife that likes to go on vacation more than once every ten years (what's up with that anyway...lol)....$75,000 is probably just what you make at your first job. Probably need a little extra on the side.

It's all relative. Shortly after high school when I was working for my old man and I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life I asked him if he liked what he did (electrician). He said that some days it was okay but most days it was just work. But when a family is depending on you, you man up and do what needs doing to provide for them. Even if that means looking at 35 years of a job you don't really care for.

Right now I'm at a job that doesn't thrill me but it pays quite well (again, it's all relative). I'll probably be here for a good 20 years.

What do you do anyway? What's big money in your eyes? If we had some perspective we might be able to point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 12-11-2006 at 04:56 PM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

exactly....

+1
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by heavyD
    HA HA! It's natural to get tired of doing the same thing every day. In fact after 10 years I'm pretty well sick of the entire oil & gas industry. You run into the same old people at different companies doing the same thing. Everyone wants everything yesterday. Feast or famine. Unfortunately there aren't alot of perfect jobs as people that have them tend to keep them and unless you are fortunate to work around something that is a passion for you it's always going to become tedious.

Most of the larger oil companies are changing over to 95% open office...even for many od the executives. It's both a culture shift and the rising cost of office space.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    89 Shelby daytona

I remember my cubicle job....I really much prefer trade work over what I was doing before...you actually get a feeling like you accomplish something in a day.

I think alot of it has to do with who you work with....I don't mind working hard as long as my co workers and boss are not dicks.

I don't worry too much about pay..as long as I am making 16$/hr or more I can support myself just fine.....if I had a family though... that might be different.

I get 10+ hours of overtime anyways....if I was at journeyman rate I would be grossing around 80k....which is decent..

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
    I'll probably be here for a good 20 years.
    Unless it's your own business don't bank on it. The company I worked with for the last 6 years was great and we made alot of money but upper management out east fucked things up so we had to shut down our western division. On the plus side I got 8 months severance pay and already had a new (higher paying) job lined up before my last day of work.

but hes in the evil insurance industry, they'll still be here.. sure as taxes

haha

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast