Quantcast
Which Business course should i take? UofC - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Business course should i take? UofC

My Ride
    My Crotch Rocket

Default Which Business course should i take? UofC

Im in the middle of deciding to take either Marketing, or Petroleum and Management.

Definetly rite now is best if i had a cert for petroleum, but by the time im done University, it will be 4-5 years. By then will the market be like now? better, or worse?

And marketing is pretty safe, but not as bright and less money compared to current petroleum/oil industry.

But i would like to kno what is a good choice.

Also i need to find out what courses i need to take in the U of C. And which one is harder. And what type of Highschool mark i would need to get into either courses.

Thanks!

My Ride
    Mazda RX-7 FC3S

PLM has a huge lineup. I would go into it otherwise in a heartbeat.

My Ride
    rental

Yea go for PLM, just follow the trend while you're making $$$... then if the market drops or what not, then decide your next move from there.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Don't do it for the money. In fact, don't worry too much about making a decision until second year, because the first year courses are all common anyways. Even second year courses can be uncommittal.

One of the wisest things I've ever heard came from a prof (Zyla): do what you like, and if you're good at it the money will come.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Mazda RX-7 FC3S

Originally posted by HyperZell
    Don't do it for the money. In fact, don't worry too much about making a decision until second year, because the first year courses are all common anyways. Even second year courses can be uncommittal.

One of the wisest things I've ever heard came from a prof (Zyla): do what you like, and if you're good at it the money will come.
    If you want in to PLM, you must decide in 1st year. The lineup is 2 years right now.

My Ride
    Mazda 3 GT

Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

If you want in to PLM, you must decide in 1st year. The lineup is 2 years right now.
    My mistake. azndragon, figure out which one you like best and decide now!
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Stop with the antics. Beyonder.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

If you can't decide between the 2, take PLM now and while you're doing that take all marketing courses as your options. From there, decide what you like most.

I thought about taking PLM when I first started out, but I realized that marketing was something I enjoyed a lot more.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    My Crotch Rocket

i like the advices you guys have given me, but are the chances of me making into Marketing the same as PLM since its the same catagory (business)?

I believe i will have a 80% average by the end of my highschool year. And a bang on 100 credits lol

Nope.. because PLMA has a waiting list.

However with the way things are, you're probably jumping in late anyways to the PLMA bandwagon so I'd suggest something else.

A lot can happen in a few years and like others have said, the first 2 years are pretty much general courses, so go with what you want to do.

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

Originally posted by azndragon1234
    i like the advices you guys have given me, but are the chances of me making into Marketing the same as PLM since its the same catagory (business)?

I believe i will have a 80% average by the end of my highschool year. And a bang on 100 credits lol
    check here for admission averages from past years...

http://www.ucalgary.ca/admissions/ad...teria_avg.html

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by FishPoo
    Nope.. because PLMA has a waiting list.

However with the way things are, you're probably jumping in late anyways to the PLMA bandwagon so I'd suggest something else.

A lot can happen in a few years and like others have said, the first 2 years are pretty much general courses, so go with what you want to do.
    Exactly. If you're seriously considering the two fields (not just because you'll make money), then you're going to be much more flexible going into PLM first, then switching if you feel marketing is more your thing. There's no waiting list for marketing, so it's easier to make the PLM - MKTG jump rather than the MKTG - PLM jump, later on in your program.

My Ride
    My Crotch Rocket

Originally posted by sexualbanana

Exactly. If you're seriously considering the two fields (not just because you'll make money), then you're going to be much more flexible going into PLM first, then switching if you feel marketing is more your thing. There's no waiting list for marketing, so it's easier to make the PLM - MKTG jump rather than the MKTG - PLM jump, later on in your program.
    people were saying that PLM was having the line up, not marketing?

Need to make sure i get into UofC and i can change courses if i want later on (if i want and can)

My Ride
    My Crotch Rocket

Also, where in the UofC can i find more info on my questions. The unversity is HUGE with like a million buildings and ive been lost in it a couple times.

Which building do i go to? and directions to get to it

Thanks!

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Scurfield Hall. It's located on the east side of campus near the Professional Faculties building. Pretty much behind the Education Tower if you're in the bus loop

My Ride
    Colbie

To be honest, considering the economy and the industry itself, I would take Marketing. Like someone said before, you'd be safer taking the marketing to petroleum switch rather then vice versa. Our boom, considering you would like to stay in Alberta, has already lasted three years. The long of the boom as well as the "oversaturation" of the idustry since 2000 or so adds up to bad news.

I'm thinking in 4 or 5 years we'll see a huge drop in oil production and you would find it more then difficult to get into any oil company big or small. The small ones will start drying up and the big ones will start major downsizing. Think late eighties but worse due to the crazy revenues in the last couple years and the mismanagement of funds.

So Marketing would be best cause even if our economy takes a big down turn there are still going to be needs for creative and technical marketing. Not to mention that when the Oil industry recovers after a few hard years you'll probably get a better job then you would if you only had the PLM under your belt.

But then again if you want to move to the states or saskatchewan ( where everyone believes the market will go) you'd be fine in taking PLM. But who wants to move to saskatechewan ha ha just kidding.

My Ride
    2000 Z-71

I totally posted that in the wrong spot somehow...

There is no magic line up for the PLM program...
    There is huge demand though in excess of 120 some applicants.
    However, they have gone to a very stringent entry process.
    Panel Interveiw, Resume, Industry References, yada, yada...

You won't get in if your joe schmoe who wants to be in the high paying faculty... You need to be genuinely interested and need to know what your getting into.

But the good news is that your a young pup and have lots of time to learn about it if it is the career you so desire.

PLM has always been my goal, and I'm about 4 months away from finishing.

The only issue that I'm concerned about being a potential holder of said degree is market saturation.
    The program is pumping out a ton of grads and eventually there will not be enough of the highly desireable jobs for eveyone who goes through the program.

And additionally in response to some of the other posts, the odds of there being a cheaper alternative to Petroleum and Natural Gas being developed in the near future is highly unlikely. As a result the industry will continue to be strong as we move into the future.

Originally posted by black j
    I totally posted that in the wrong spot somehow...

There is no magic line up for the PLM program...
    There is huge demand though in excess of 120 some applicants.
    However, they have gone to a very stringent entry process.
    Panel Interveiw, Resume, Industry References, yada, yada...

You won't get in if your joe schmoe who wants to be in the high paying faculty... You need to be genuinely interested and need to know what your getting into.

But the good news is that your a young pup and have lots of time to learn about it if it is the career you so desire.

PLM has always been my goal, and I'm about 4 months away from finishing.

The only issue that I'm concerned about being a potential holder of said degree is market saturation.
    The program is pumping out a ton of grads and eventually there will not be enough of the highly desireable jobs for eveyone who goes through the program.

And additionally in response to some of the other posts, the odds of there being a cheaper alternative to Petroleum and Natural Gas being developed in the near future is highly unlikely. As a result the industry will continue to be strong as we move into the future.

yo black j ...are you in the PLM classes right now....if you are, we should be in the same class

for azndragon....i think PLM is def a great career....the courses are taught by industry professionals and everything you learn is applicable to the industry...if you have an interest for oil and gas...there is where u want to be

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by doanashk
    To be honest, considering the economy and the industry itself, I would take Marketing. Like someone said before, you'd be safer taking the marketing to petroleum switch rather then vice versa. Our boom, considering you would like to stay in Alberta, has already lasted three years. The long of the boom as well as the "oversaturation" of the idustry since 2000 or so adds up to bad news.
    Perhaps you're referring to something someone else said, but I said you're safer making the PLM-MKTG jump than vice versa. The reason being that marketing doesn't have the stringent application process that PLM does. Since they only allow PLM majors into their classes, it is more flexible to go through the PLM application process (assuming you get accepted), take a couple of those classes and if you don't like them, it's much easier to switch to another major. Going from another major to PLM would mean you would have to pretty much burn at least one year while you switch your concentration and go through the application process.

There were a lot of people I went to school with in that situation (myself included) who decided in their 3rd or 4th year that they wanted to go in PLM but because of the waiting list at the time, it would add another 3 years of schooling. If I had changed my concentration to PLM in my 2nd year with no waiting list, like I had the option of doing, I could have changed to PLM, taken marketing classes as options, and if I didn't like the intro PLM courses I'd switch back to marketing.

My Ride
    2000 Z-71

Originally posted by lastskpirate

yo black j ...are you in the PLM classes right now....if you are, we should be in the same class

I sure am, apparently there is a few of us on beyond...

so u taking your 300 or 400 level courses this winter???

Originally posted by black j

I sure am, apparently there is a few of us on beyond...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast