Quantcast
How much MORE vitamins do I need? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: How much MORE vitamins do I need?

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Default How much MORE vitamins do I need?

I'm a runner, and I run about 8km-15km daily. I have a very, very fast metabolism and I eat and/or drink almost between every class at school (classes are 45 minutes). I'm trying to improve my diet and get more vitamins/minerals etc because I don't think I've been getting enough. I'm looking up the recommended daily values for iron, zinc, vitamins a,b, etc etc but of course these are for 'average' people who are most likely less active than I.

How do I know how much MORE I need than the RDV without getting too much? I'd rather be a little bit high than a bit low because I just need the extra nutrients.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

Vitamins are not like calories, in that they are not consumed because of physical activity. They tend to be needed by the body in very small amounts and act as co-enzymes in the body's normal metabolic pathways. Your body also tends to have a very efficient way of recycling what vitamins and minerals you do take in, so you do not need more just because you exercise a lot.

In fact, some vitamins and minerals can be toxic if you take too much, so more is not necessarily better. For example, vitamins A D E and K are fat soluble, meaning that you will store these in your body fat. This means that you don't simply pee out the excess, and the nonutilized fat soluble vitamins can build up in your body to toxic levels if you take too much.

Having a good diet with a variety of foods means that you get enough of the vitamins that your body needs, without needing to supplement it with pills. There is nothing wrong with taking one multivitamin a day on top of that if you feel you need it, but chances are that you already get everything you need from your diet. There is absolutely no reason to take more than this, no matter what your level of activity is. There is a reason why we don't see people with scurvy or kids with cretinism anymore, even though not everyone takes multivitamins. This is because we have vastly improved the delivery of fresh produce, milk, eggs, grains and meats to people, ie. people get enough micronutrients from the food they consume even in the absence of vitamin supplements.

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Okay cool, a reasonable reply .

I have been looking up the toxicity levels for iron, zinc, etc. Some of the levels seem like you have to try to even come close... like zinc, for example, is 150mg, more than ten times the RDV (10-15mg depending on where you look it up).

I was looking into multivitamins because I think my poor performance this year (my 5k time has gone up a minute...) has been partially due to a lack of iron. Anywho I picked up some Centrum tonight for a nice balanced multivitamin . Thanks for the reply that was actually informative.
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

Yes, for the most part you will have to take a exceedingly large dose to get to toxic levels, especially with the water soluble vitamins. Though rare, I have seen a few cases of hypervitaminosis A.

If you are worried about your iron levels, have your doctor check your blood levels of iron, as well as the ferritin. Ferritin is the plasma storage protein for iron and gives an idea of what your body's overall iron stores are. It takes a very long time to deplete these, so it will not be affected by taking a vitamin or iron supplement the day of the blood test.

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

The daily recommended intakes of vitamins in minerals change depending on excercise and physical activity. Stuff from walmart and superstores are likely not good enough to counter all the toxins built up in your system from strenuous workouts especially if you are like me working out 5 times a week fairly hard.

Multivitamins will not work. Think of it like a meal..it's best to separate and utilize the necessary ones at optimal times rather than consuming all at once.

PM me if you are interested in phamaceutical level supplements that are greatly more potent than crap in your local supermarket .

Rich

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by xrayvsn
    Vitamins are not like calories, in that they are not consumed because of physical activity. They tend to be needed by the body in very small amounts and act as co-enzymes in the body's normal metabolic pathways. Your body also tends to have a very efficient way of recycling what vitamins and minerals you do take in, so you do not need more just because you exercise a lot.

In fact, some vitamins and minerals can be toxic if you take too much, so more is not necessarily better. For example, vitamins A D E and K are fat soluble, meaning that you will store these in your body fat. This means that you don't simply pee out the excess, and the nonutilized fat soluble vitamins can build up in your body to toxic levels if you take too much.

Having a good diet with a variety of foods means that you get enough of the vitamins that your body needs, without needing to supplement it with pills. There is nothing wrong with taking one multivitamin a day on top of that if you feel you need it, but chances are that you already get everything you need from your diet. There is absolutely no reason to take more than this, no matter what your level of activity is. There is a reason why we don't see people with scurvy or kids with cretinism anymore, even though not everyone takes multivitamins. This is because we have vastly improved the delivery of fresh produce, milk, eggs, grains and meats to people, ie. people get enough micronutrients from the food they consume even in the absence of vitamin supplements.
    i was thinking along the same lines.... just in not so much detail! haha!

Originally posted by sgouki
    The daily recommended intakes of vitamins in minerals change depending on excercise and physical activity. Stuff from walmart and superstores are likely not good enough to counter all the toxins built up in your system from strenuous workouts especially if you are like me working out 5 times a week fairly hard.

Multivitamins will not work. Think of it like a meal..it's best to separate and utilize the necessary ones at optimal times rather than consuming all at once.

PM me if you are interested in phamaceutical level supplements that are greatly more potent than crap in your local supermarket .

Rich
    uhh multivitamins are NOT AT ALL like a meal! I have no idea where you get this BS but please do some prelim research before talking like a mad scientist with some crazy new "phamaceutical level supplements that are greatly more potent than crap in your local supermarket"

not all vitamins need to be utilized to the max potential because for the vast majority of people vitamins come from the foods we eat and unless ur diet consists of junk then you should be a-ok! for the most part most vitamin supplements that need to be consumed on a daily basis diet depending are iron or calcium and some people choose to take omega 3-6-9. but like xrayvsn said a multivitamin should handle any minor deficences and if necessary higher doses/individual vitamins/minerals can be taken at the advise of a doctor

What xrayvsn said was bang on! and if anyone on this forum knowns this stuff its him (and MAYBE a few others - turbomedic and maybe nismo! but hes still a n00b med guy )!

My Ride
    a wrx.

all the toxins built up in your system
    Quackery.

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Free radicals
    Look it up GTS Jeff cuz you seem to be the type that believes your stronger under stress(physical/mental).
    xrayvsn is correct on many many levels. But how many of us actually eat the recommended amounts of fruits, veggies, grains, etc. It is true that IF you do eat the required amount that you are pretty much good to go and takin a multivitamin is probably all that you will need from your proper nutrition. But however we got to consider the fact that several factors change the normal requirement we need such as working out, intensity levels of cardio and any type of physical activity. The RDA is just a guide line but many of us who chooses to challenge our body constantly will need the extra aids of higher quality vitamin supplements especially if we don't eat properly.
    I know I don't have the time to eat the proper amounts of veggies and I challenge my body everytime I run or workout. As xrayvsn stated already there are vitamins that can be taken and the excess will just be excreted. Those help(antioxidants) combat the free radicals and taking a more potent source or great dosage(your choice) has no negative effects but taking too little can be dangerous for your immune system.
    But however all this is just for those who do more physical activity and on a higher level than the recommended which I believe is a 30-45 min BRISK walk a few times a week. And those who do get their fruits and veggies, good fats, and yes indeed your body can fend for itself.
    There is such thing as maintaining proper levels and if our bodies are really that efficient that we can take everything all at once in the morning then why is that instead of just storing excess minerals for later use that it becomes toxic in our system. Vitamins and minerals are closely related to meals and best taken in the proper times. Just like how different meals should be eaten at different times. Ever wonder why we don't eat steaks in the morning and cereal right after a jog? Our body has different demands, different times of the day from different activities.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

sgouki where do u get ur information?

My Ride
    BMW E36/ SC YariS

Raystrand.com is pretty useful. In the past I've read numerous articles on bodybuilding.com and have had confirmation from some personal trainers.
    The rest is just bit and pieces from articles from numerous other sites with topics on cellular nutrition and free radicals.

I apologize if I sounded hostile and a know it all since after all I'm never done learning but I do know a thing or two about optimizing health.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

i owuld suggest u read some basic biochemistry and nutrition and learn about vitamins. as for free radicals the most efficent way to reduce those is by eating antioxidants (highest being in blueberries)

i gotta give it to you tho.... despite the fact that i disgaree with you, the way you are going about ur posts makes it seem u are open to learning and that is a plus! most others that come out like u do quickly turn into assholes and then the ban stick comes out!

anyways, do some reading and im sure your views will change! to what degree only you know!

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Animal Pak FTW!
    Autosignature

Grab vitamins that are recommended to be taken 3 times a day (typically after meals), vitamins are needed in small doses and thus taking 1 strong multivitamin would tend to be wasted as it is not stored within the body.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Raystrand.com is pretty useful. In the past I've read numerous articles on bodybuilding.com and have had confirmation from some personal trainers.
    The rest is just bit and pieces from articles from numerous other sites with topics on cellular nutrition and free radicals.

I apologize if I sounded hostile and a know it all since after all I'm never done learning but I do know a thing or two about optimizing health.
    If you are truly interested in learning this sort of thing, why don't you sign up for a few classes at the University? Wouldn't you agree that a proper education from qualified instructors beats reading stuff off websites that any regular schmoe could put up? I like to think that a BSc. precludes me from learning about free radicals off the interweb.

I know that you are trying to be helpful here, but you might want to be careful with the tone of your post, as you don't want to belittle people who's qualifications you aren't fully aware of. Now I'm not throwing titles around, but for example, xrayvsn is a physician, and he really doesn't need validation from someone who's browsed a few websites. I don't mean to put you down, but it's like that, and that's the way it is. Uhh!
    Last edited by GTS Jeff; 12-23-2006 at 04:58 AM.

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    If you are truly interested in learning this sort of thing, why don't you sign up for a few classes at the University? Wouldn't you agree that a proper education from qualified instructors beats reading stuff off websites that any regular schmoe could put up? I like to think that a BSc. precludes me from learning about free radicals off the interweb.

I know that you are trying to be helpful here, but you might want to be careful with the tone of your post, as you don't want to belittle people who's qualifications you aren't fully aware of. Now I'm not throwing titles around, but for example, xrayvsn is a physician, and he really doesn't need validation from someone who's browsed a few websites. I don't mean to put you down, but it's like that, and that's the way it is. Uhh!
    Nutrition students are some of the most anorexic/underfed looking individuals i have seen in my entire life.

I know one that is a vegetarian because she says it is healthy but she never does anything because whe is always tired.

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by mvprimate

Nutrition students are some of the most anorexic/underfed looking individuals i have seen in my entire life.

I know one that is a vegetarian because she says it is healthy but she never does anything because whe is always tired.
    Ok?

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

8-15k/day is crazy - the body needs time to recover. Even on an ironman schedule you don't do that much running every day... Balance it out with other stuff like swimming/bike/racket sports/skating.

I have been taking a daily multi with 1 vit D sup, with some vit C at meals since it leaves the body so quickly.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Originally posted by Khyron
    8-15k/day is crazy - the body needs time to recover. Even on an ironman schedule you don't do that much running every day... Balance it out with other stuff like swimming/bike/racket sports/skating.

I have been taking a daily multi with 1 vit D sup, with some vit C at meals since it leaves the body so quickly.
    Khyron
    That sounds like a very reasonable way to go about it. Both the cross-training from a fitness and minimising repetitive strain injury standpoint, and the vitamins. Don't forget the water