Quantcast
USA: One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: USA: One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Default USA: One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

One Million Miles in a Saab? Get a New One from Saab - For Free

Press Release:

DETROIT — Convinced of the jet-like performance and endurance of its products, Saab Automobile USA is announcing that it will offer a free new Saab to any U.S. customer who covers the distance of one million miles (or more) in a Saab that he or she originally purchased new. The new Saab will come with the 100,000 mile/5 years GM Powertrain limited warranty and 3 years/36,000 miles no-charge scheduled maintenance, standard with every model in the 2007 Saab Automobile USA portfolio.

This announcement comes after Wisconsin resident and insurance salesman Peter Gilbert recently reached the one million milestone in a 1989 Edwardian Gray Saab 900 SPG, still with the original engine and turbo, at this year’s North American Saab Owners Convention in Lake George, N.Y. Saab Automobile USA General Manager Jay Spenchian was the very first to congratulate Gilbert and his 900 SPG on the occasion.

“Saabs are made for people who love to drive, as proven by the many high-mileage examples in the Saab owners’ community”, Spenchian said. “Having personally been with Peter Gilbert in his 900 SPG as we crossed their magical finish line together, one cannot help but being impressed by the condition of car and driver after one million miles. Our offer of a new Saab to any U.S. customer who equals this achievement, should be seen as a token of appreciation for the enduring loyalty and confidence in Saab.”

Mr. Gilbert will receive a brand new, 260 hp Saab 9-5 Aero (MSRP $ 38,735 ) as a worthy replacement for his tried-and-true 900 SPG. Delivery of the new car is to be scheduled in early 2007 at the Saab Aero Academy at Road Atlanta, Georgia. Saab is the only U.S. manufacturer offering this two-day enhanced driving course – a $1,350 value – at no cost to every U.S. customer who buys a new Saab 9-3 Aero or 9-5 Aero.

“I am obviously thrilled with the idea of being presented with a new Saab 9-5 Aero”, Gilbert said. “It is not just fast and fuel efficient, but also extremely safe. A reassuring thought, keeping in mind that my faithful 900 SPG and I survived many a collision with Wisconsin deer. Who knows, I might take a run at another million miles in my new 9-5! "

The offer of a free, new 2007 Saab 9-5 Aero [not to exceed the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price of $38,735 (certain features and options are subject to availability at time of delivery) and delivery to take place at an authorized Saab USA dealer] valid from the date of this release through calendar year 2007 (offer ends Dec. 31, 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time), is available to any U.S. customer who can present verifiable proof to Saab Automobile USA that he or she is the original owner of the Saab vehicle that covered one million road miles or more, that the vehicle is in running condition, that the odometer hasn’t been tampered with, and that the vehicle is currently and has always been registered in the United States. The customer is responsible for all applicable taxes, title fees, registration and destination charges. Visit www.saabusa.com for important details and limitations on this offer.

My Ride
    Eclipse

thats pretty sweet, but thats 1,610,000KM!

thats crazy haha
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

thats nuts, i wonder how much you would spend on gas to reach that many kms

My Ride
    '09 STi

No doubt, haha. But hey, its kind of a neat marketing technique.

My Ride
    09 WRX Hatchback / 72 240z

i can imagine

"WTB: High milage SAABs that still run"

My Ride
    POS

Originally posted by Zephyr
    i can imagine

"WTB: High milage SAABs that still run"
    You have to be the original owner that bought it new. That's a crazy amount of km's though. I'd like to see if anyone here has anything close to that.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

didn't know that the odometer will go that far. or did it start from zero again?

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

Originally posted by topmade
    That's a crazy amount of km's though. I'd like to see if anyone here has anything close to that.
    well not here, but Irv Gordon whips this "record"...article date 06-20-2006

Irv Gordon's Volvo P1800 Marks 40 Year Anniversary of Purchase

Forty years ago this June 30, the Beatles were completing their "Revolver" album. Mike Tyson was born in Brooklyn. Los Angeles Dodger Sandy Koufax was halfway through pitching his final and finest season.

And Irv Gordon was in a neighborhood Volvo dealership purchasing a cherry red Volvo P1800 for $4,150, replacing a new car he had recently purchased from another manufacturer that broke down on his drive home from the dealership.

"It was far and away the best $4,150 I've ever spent," said Gordon, a Long Island native and resident who has since driven the car almost 2.5 million miles, a world record.

Gordon, who today is a 64-year-old retired science teacher, began racking up the miles almost immediately. He drove the car for the same reasons most people do: to drive back and forth to work (a 125-mile daily round-trip to his job), for fun and for everyday activities. His long commute and his passion for driving caused him to log his first 250,000 miles in less than five years. The engine never failed and the car never required extensive repairs. Gordon lived two blocks from the ocean and drove through salt and snow each winter, but the body never rusted. So he kept driving his car.

Gordon hit 500,000 miles in the late '70s. He celebrated his one-millionth mile in 1987, driving a loop around the Tavern on the Green in New York's Central Park. He retired nine years later and took a part-time job for five years as a quality control technician and service writer at a Volvo dealership. With more time on his hands, he made driving his pastime.

In the mid '90s, The Guinness Book of World Records certified his Volvo for most miles driven by a single owner in a non-commercial vehicle. In March 2002 at a star-studded celebration fitting for New York, he turned his 2 millionth mile driving through Times Square.

Gordon would drive to Cincinnati for coffee, to Denver for lunch, or to Montreal for dinner. He'd drive to Volvo dealerships and car clubs to meet other Volvo lovers. He drove to Mexico. He put his car on a barge and sent it to Europe. He drove to Holland. He drove to Germany. While in Sweden, he drove to Volvo's headquarters to see where his P1800 was born.

He drove through big cities at night and spent afternoons in small town coffee shops. He made friends throughout the nation. He became an icon for resiliency and passion for the road. He met Matt Lauer. He hung out with Jon Stewart. He talked cars with Jay Leno.

And, 40 years after Gordon took the keys, the car has the same engine, same radio, same axles, same transmission and of course, the same driver. He is the only person who has ever driven his P1800.

"If you would have told me 40 years ago I'd still be driving this beautiful car, and that I would have driven these many miles, I would have told you 'good,'" Gordon said. "For one thing, the car just felt right from the beginning. And, what a beautiful country this is; I'm so glad I've had the time and opportunity to take so much of it in."

Gordon plans to mark his car's 40th birthday doing pretty much what he's done with the car every day the past 40 years.

"I'm going to drive down to my favorite coffee shop, have a decaf and chat with my neighbors," he said. "Who knows? Maybe I'll drive up to Montauk that day. Maybe not."

Gordon's odometer currently reads about 2.45 million miles. When he hits 2.48 million around August, he'll be at 4 million kilometers. Then, some time in September or October, likely on some blue highway in the heartland, he'll turn 2.5 million. And, as for what he'll do next?

"I'll keep on driving," Gordon said, "but whether I drive three million miles is more up to me than it is the car. The car's parts may be able to take it, but I'm not so sure about my own."
    http://www.worldcarfans.com/classics...th-anniversary

Volvo pwns Saab...btw

ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.

if i said to you i'd give you a free Saab if you had to drive a Saab the rest of your life would you do it? I sure wouldnt.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by topmade

You have to be the original owner that bought it new. That's a crazy amount of km's though. I'd like to see if anyone here has anything close to that.
    There are plenty of Million mile toyotas running around as well.

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

Originally posted by benyl

There are plenty of Million mile toyotas running around as well.
    hondas too

My Ride
    Bicycle

1M miles would take me about 70-80 years.

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

I wana see cavalier, neon or sunfire do a million miles

My Ride
    GMC Acadia

Originally posted by 3G
    hondas too
    Fords too
    Originally posted by VIZSLA
    Seems that running qualifying in three heats worked so well we're now running the race in three parts too.
    1, On the track
    2, In the steward's box
    3, In Paris

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Mr_ET
    I wana see cavalier, neon or sunfire do a million miles
    I would like to see a Honda Civic do the same.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

have you guys heard about the 4,000,000 km 1966 Volvo?

he's pushing 2.5 million miles with it, only had the engine rebuilt at 1,100,000km's. He drives it 160,000km's a year, just Google it to find the articles, its nuts. (so the car went another 3 million KM's on one engine rebuild, ) WOW.

I dont think there wil be anybody topping that feat
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    have you guys heard about the 4,000,000 km 1966 Volvo?

he's pushing 2.5 million miles with it, only had the engine rebuilt at 1,100,000km's. He drives it 160,000km's a year, just Google it to find the articles, its nuts. (so the car went another 3 million KM's on one engine rebuild, ) WOW.

I dont think there wil be anybody topping that feat
    Maybe you should read the thread before posting. Just look up a few posts and you will see the post about the Volvo.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by benyl

Maybe you should read the thread before posting. Just look up a few posts and you will see the post about the Volvo.
    Maybe you should relax, I missed that post, thats all.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Volvo, '84 764ti, '79 242GT

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Maybe you should relax, I missed that post, thats all.
    nope...you should just read the thread!

JOKES!

Volvo pwns!

yay

ciao
    VOLVO - not just a car, it's an addiction.
    Originally posted by rage2
    How about Oprah? She should be fined too. As a man, I find her show offensive as fuck.