Quantcast
U.N. unanimously approves Iran sanctions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.N. unanimously approves Iran sanctions

My Ride
    73 & 06 vette

Default U.N. unanimously approves Iran sanctions

UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council voted unanimously Saturday to impose economic sanctions on Iran for refusing to end a uranium enrichment program that the United States says is aimed at building nuclear weapons. Iran immediately rejected the resolution.

The result of two months of negotiation, the resolution orders all countries to stop supplying Iran with materials and technology that could contribute to its nuclear and missile programs. It also would freeze Iranian assets of key companies and individuals related to those programs.

If Iran refuses to comply, the resolution warns Iran that the council will adopt further nonmilitary sanctions.

Story continues below «
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Iranian government immediately rejected the resolution, vowing in a statement from Tehran to continue enriching uranium and saying it ghas not delegated its destiny to the invalid decisions of the U.N. Security Council.h

The Bush administration said it hopes the resolution will clear the way for tougher measures by individual countries, particularly Russia.

gWe donft think this resolution is enough in itself,h Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns said. gWe want to let the Iranians know that there is a big cost to them,h he added, so they will return to talks.

The administration had pushed for tougher penalties. But Russia and China, which both have strong commercial ties to Tehran, and Qatar, across the Persian Gulf from Iran, balked. To get their votes, the resolution dropped penalties such as a ban on international travel by Iranian officials involved in nuclear and missile development.

The U.N. vote came just a day after talks with North Korea, already under U.N. sanctions, failed to halt that countryfs atomic program.

Israel voices approval
    Israel, which considers Iran its single greatest threat, welcomed the resolution. Mark Regev, a Foreign Ministry spokesman, said the vote was gan important first step in preventing Iranian nuclear proliferation.h

Iranfs U.N. Ambassador Javad Zarif denounced the council for imposing sanctions on Iran, which opposes nuclear weapons and has its facilities under U.N. safeguards, while doing nothing about Israel, whose prime minister recently appeared to confirm long suspicions that it is a nuclear power.

gA nation is being punished for exercising its inalienable rightsh to develop nuclear energy, primarily at the behest of the United States, Zarif said.

Ahead of the vote, Russian President Vladimir Putin called President Bush, agreeing on the need for a resolution, said Blain Rethmeier, a spokesman for Bush.

gWe hope the Russian government is going to work with us in a very active way to send this message of unity to Iran and we hope Russia is going to take a very vigorous approach itself,h Burns said after the vote.

Russiafs U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said Moscow agreed to sanctions because it wanted Iran gto lift remaining concerns over its nuclear program.h

Encouraging dialogue
    He stressed that the goal must be to resume talks. If Iran suspends enrichment and reprocessing, the resolution calls for a suspension of sanctions gwhich would pave the way for a negotiated solution,h Churkin said.

Acting U.S. Ambassador Alejandro Wolff said he hopes the sanctions gwill convince Iran that the best way to ensure security it to abandonh nuclear enrichment.

Iran insists its nuclear program is intended to produce energy, but the Americans and Europeans suspect its ultimate goal is the production of weapons.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad reiterated Tuesday that Security Council sanctions would not stop Iran from pursuing uranium enrichment, a technology that can be used to produce nuclear fuel for civilian purposes or fuel for a nuclear bomb.

The resolution authorizes action under Article 41 of Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter. It allows the Security Council to impose nonmilitary sanctions such as severing diplomatic and economic relations, transportation and communications links.

CONTINUED

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16318472/

My Ride
    Model S

The UN fails yet again, and the US starts another fire elsewhere in the world.

Americas own legal system is innocent until proven guilty, but somehow they get to play guilty until proven innocent, and then still guilty.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Bah... oil prices have been stagnant way too long, and Bush's normal income was down...

Had to do something

It's all good.... just means the US will fall just a bit faster

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:53 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by kaput
    Aside from the obvious, why do you want the US to fall? They are going to take us down too, and then what?
    They will take the world down with them... but at least we will be rid of their opression and self serving attempt at world domination

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

good news...

Ahmadinejad is a joke. Obviously this was bound to happen if you call for the complete destruction of another state an making remarks like "i promise i will not deny the next genocide"

his intentions are way to obvious.

Last edited by kaput; 03-26-2019 at 07:53 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by kaput

But then someone else will take over and it will be the same situation, the world is never going to be perfect. For all the stupid things the US does, it could be a lot worse........
    Ahhh, yes, but it could be a lot better as well.

Right now, the US is the only real obstacle to "world democracy"...

Like in the UN.... How can you clim to support democracy, yetrefuse to let the UN become democratic...instead having it run by 5 elite members, any of which can over rule a vote by the other 4? And Where is the Arab or Muslim representation? How come they are such a huge part of the population of the world, but have no say in the council?

My Ride
    73 & 06 vette

Originally posted by Toma

Ahhh, yes, but it could be a lot better as well.

Right now, the US is the only real obstacle to "world democracy"...

Like what the radical muslims want??? LMAO

Toma do you really believe the world will become peaceful much sooner, with the usa on the back burner not screwing around?

Do you believe that Iran will play fair, and not pursue means/actions to elimintae isreal?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Toma has some serious delusions going on..

If the US goes down this world is in serious shit.. there are alot worse out there than what the US is doing if they had the US's power.

But what does he care.. hes milking our system then fucking off to where he came from once hes done with us.
    Last edited by wainr; 12-23-2006 at 11:42 PM.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by wainr
    Toma has some serious delusions going on..

If the US goes down this world is in serious shit.. there are alot worse out there than what the US is doing if they had the US's power.

But what does he care.. hes milking our system then fucking off to where he came from once hes done with us.
    I also contributed several hundred thousand in taxes... so, uhm... thank me now

I also contributed several hundred thousand in taxes... so, uhm... thank me now
    I wont see a dime of that.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by wainr

I wont see a dime of that.
    What? You dont go to school, use the roads, go to the doctor, use a swimming pool or leisure centre, go to the library etc?

My Ride
    SoupRYou

What? You dont go to school, use the roads, go to the doctor, use a swimming pool or leisure centre, go to the library etc?
    well said
    sig kinda deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by KuruptEX

well said
    Well with is intellect, I for one minute don't doubt his parents keep him chained in the basement and feed him out of a dog dish

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

They will take the world down with them... but at least we will be rid of their opression and self serving attempt at world domination
    It'll just be replaced with a more oppressive system than the one we have now!

My Ride
    whatevers at the end of the driveway

some people just don't think before they speak

My Ride
    88' BMW 325i

So, just to clarify, the USA does not want Iran enriching Uranium so they can not make nuclear weapons?

I mean weren't they against Pakistan doing that too? and India? and China? and Russia? Hmm so only the USA has the right to nuclear power (for weapons or for energy). But if we think back, of all the nuclear bombs made in the world. Only one country was dumb enough to acually use them for mass destruction?

I forget which country that was?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast