My Ride
    POS

Default which one should i get SXRD or DLP

anyone have comment about this 2 TV.

Sony 55 SXRD 1080P link as below
    http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...=n32050n100187

Samsung 56 DLP 1080P link as below
    http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/t...s5687wxxac.asp

i remember someone told me Sony is using Samsung's panel. My budget is around $3,500 and both of their price is very competitive to each other. I go to BB today and i ask the Salesman what's the different(performance & duration)between this 2. he told me the Sony base on their demo the Samsung is dead(Bulb) and they never have problem with Sony.

I have been reading some review saying theSamsung lack of light output for bridge area and there still have Rainbow issue(although it's been improve alot).

About Sony, i'm completely new to them. i don't even sure what's the different between the SXRD and XBR2.

anyone have opinion or explaination can help to determine?

thank you
    For Rent: 1000 sq apartment located in Downtown. available immediately. Pls PM me for further detail

Pm for detail

My Ride
    MB C63

Well to clear up a few things. Sony's SXRD line is their projection tvs...they have lcd projection tvs which are pretty much the same as a DLP. The XBR2's are their lcds which are extremely nice but way over your budget.

Sony makes good tvs there is no dbout about that. Every tv i have had has been a sony with the exception of one toshiba which i got rid of. I have a sony trinitron which is over 25 years old and still works flawlessly.

Id say go with the Sony just because they are reliable and ive never heard anyone having problems with the SXRD line thus far. The samsung and other dlps have had premature bulb burnouts and the color wheel inside stops fuctioning occasionaly.

Maybe someone can give some more insight on those specific two models from personal experience.

Good luck

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

The Sony is LCOS technology.Liquid crystal on silicon.
    Probably your best bet for all around viewing with multiple sources. i.e. standard definition, HD and regular DVD's
    Out of the box they are set on vivid and need some adjustment. Not hard but lots of adjustments are available.
    Depending on your room size you can save a few bucks and get the 50 inch.

Personally I would not buy a DLP over the SXRD but again it's a personal thing!

Sony is giving the stand with the tv until the 26th!

Here is an owners forum....

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=701578

My Ride
    F30

Id go with the sony as well i find the lcd projo technology better than the DLP, we have at futureshop the 50" on sale for 2699.99 with the stand and the 60" for 3499.99 with the stand

My Ride

If you do any gaming or want to run a home theater media center PC you'll want the samsung, the newer samsungs are the only ones to accept a 1080P or 1920x1080 signal through all the inputs (component, pc input and hdmi)...

I am going for the samsung myself, with the 1080p dlp's the pixels are a diamond shape that slightly overlap so you don't get any screen door effect at all... the only reason to not buy a dlp is the odd chance you may see rainbow effect, which is under a half a percent of the population...

IMO sony's are over rated and always have been, they used to make by far the best tube tv's - and their XBR LCD flat panels are really nice too, but I always found their RPTV's were not that great.

I'm sure you'll be happy with either, but im honestly surprised how many people here are recommending the sony..

Anyways, check www.avsforum.com for great info...
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Apparently you can get the 1080p to work with xbox on the sxrd with an adapter cable.
    Even without I think it looks awesome and I doubt anyone could tell what res it was running on anyway!

The original wega rptv wasn't anything special but the SXRD has actually won awards.
    http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/fea...ce-awards.html
    Last edited by old&slow; 12-24-2006 at 12:47 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

A lot of you are confused as to what SXRD is. It's NOT LCD, it's actually LCOS (LCD on Silicon). The difference is that LCD rear projection is a transmissive technology (3 LCD panels, light goes through each panel) where as LCOS rear projection, like DLP, is reflective technology (light passes onto DLP/LCOS chip, which reflects light when needed).

What this does is allow LCoS to have the advantages of both LCD (no color wheel, low cost per chip) and DLP (bright vivid colors due to reflective).

The Samsung in question isn't a true 1080p TV... it uses a 960x1080 DLP chip, which like interlacing, display half the picture, then the other half, making it fake a full 1920x1080 resolution. Coupled with the color wheel, it makes eye sensitivity and headaches much higher than the "1/2 of 1%" claim. From the color wheel and wobulation, a single frame (1/60s) is actually split into 6 separate frames, R, G, and B for odd pixels, R, G, B for even pixels. Your brain which isn't fast enough to process 1/360s frames, merges that into 1 frame. Of course, different people process images at different speeds, and for the folks who's brains process images faster than others, you get rainbow effect when the brain sees an individual 1/360s frame of red, green or blue, especially when they blink. For some that don't see the rainbows, they might still get some eye strain.

The SXRD, on the other hand, has 3 native 1920x1080 chips, one for each RGB color, which means 1 actual frame every 60 seconds making the image much more smooth and stable, thus zero eye strain.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    POS

sound Dr Rage review is better on Sony.

if that is the case, sound like Samsung is scaming ppl then?
    For Rent: 1000 sq apartment located in Downtown. available immediately. Pls PM me for further detail

Pm for detail

My Ride
    POS

since Panasonic is my option as well. what is Dr Rage's opinion on the Panasonic DLP. what do you think about their performance?

Pm for detail

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Unfortunately, Dr Rage suffers from DLP Rainbow syndrome, so he can't review DLP's at all, sorry.

If you're looking for 1080p DLP tho, MAKE SURE you do NOT get any that uses wobulation. Like I said, it makes it worse for folks that are borderline affected by DLP rainbows, and has a greater chance of causing eye strain. At one point, all 1080p DLP's were wobulation chips... but I believe there are newer 1080p DLP's that have a non wobulation 1920x1080 DLP chip.

Now, when DLP comes out with a 3 chip solution... that's when I'll be able to look at those!
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2
    Unfortunately, Dr Rage suffers from DLP Rainbow syndrome, so he can't review DLP's at all, sorry.

If you're looking for 1080p DLP tho, MAKE SURE you do NOT get any that uses wobulation. Like I said, it makes it worse for folks that are borderline affected by DLP rainbows, and has a greater chance of causing eye strain. At one point, all 1080p DLP's were wobulation chips... but I believe there are newer 1080p DLP's that have a non wobulation 1920x1080 DLP chip.

Now, when DLP comes out with a 3 chip solution... that's when I'll be able to look at those!
    Why do you say to not get a wobulated set? Correct me if im wrong but on a 1080p signal, you can get either 24 fps, 30fps or 60fps.. even at 60fps the dmd can keep up to it no problem..
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    something slow

i think all dlps are still using wobulation. TI calls it SmoothPicture, most 1080p DLPs use smoothpicture.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by tictactoe2004
    Why do you say to not get a wobulated set? Correct me if im wrong but on a 1080p signal, you can get either 24 fps, 30fps or 60fps.. even at 60fps the dmd can keep up to it no problem..
    Because it increases the probability of eye strain. I know a few people that didn't listen to me, and bought it, only to complain about eyestrain and return it a week later.

It's a ghetto way to do it, since DLP chips are expensive, and they try to cut cost everywhere to "fake" 1080p resolution to stay competitive with other technologies.

The proper way is to use full res chips, and not just 1, but 3 chips. Unfortunately, you only find that in high end projectors at this time.

My Ride
    1997 Eagle Talon TSI, 2001 Honda Civic Si-G

Get the sony
    Last edited by toomuchb00st; 12-25-2006 at 11:44 PM.

My Ride

Originally posted by djayz
    Well to clear up a few things. Sony's SXRD line is their projection tvs...they have lcd projection tvs which are pretty much the same as a DLP. The XBR2's are their lcds which are extremely nice but way over your budget.

Sony makes good tvs there is no dbout about that. Every tv i have had has been a sony with the exception of one toshiba which i got rid of. I have a sony trinitron which is over 25 years old and still works flawlessly.

Id say go with the Sony just because they are reliable and ive never heard anyone having problems with the SXRD line thus far. The samsung and other dlps have had premature bulb burnouts and the color wheel inside stops fuctioning occasionaly.

Maybe someone can give some more insight on those specific two models from personal experience.

Good luck
    You have no clue as to what your talking about..

First off the XBR series that Sony manufactures is made in the LCD technology and the LCOS technology. Second, last years Sony SXRD line-up was third to samsung and toshiba DLP's for repairs. The one thing you do know is that the SXRD is better than majority of projection TV's on the market.

My Ride

Rage, do you fix or sell TV's? How do you know so much..?

My Ride
    POS

btw, what's the FPS 30, 60 stand for?

Pm for detail

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

frames per second

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by toomuchb00st
    Rage, do you fix or sell TV's? How do you know so much..?
    I go through a lot of TV's personally. Just an informed shopper I guess.

My Ride
    2007 Acura TSX

Related question - what is the difference between the SXRD and the XBR SXRD?
    The 60" SXRD is $3500 and the 60" XBR SXRD is 4700.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast