Quantcast
Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids?

We were watching the Ringer last night, and was curious if 2 mentally challenged ppl got together, had a baby, do they have a normal baby? Or a special baby? I tried googling it and couldn't find the answer and was curious.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Depends on whether their condition is genetic or not.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

nope I've seen mentally challenged couples with normal kids.

My Ride
    rental

Default Re: Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids?

Dig up the old Bio 30 books... I remember doing those genes charts or what not... (of the possible combinations of outcomes)

Mind you we were using examples of mixing different colours of flowers or dog treads or something.

Originally posted by rage2
    We were watching the Ringer last night, and was curious if 2 mentally challenged ppl got together, had a baby, do they have a normal baby? Or a special baby? I tried googling it and couldn't find the answer and was curious.
    Last edited by Whitetiger; 12-30-2006 at 04:47 PM.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

and I've seen midget couples with tall kids

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

Originally posted by MintRacer
    and I've seen midget couples with tall kids
    I've seen a black couple with an albino child.

My Ride
    Crappy Cavalier 05

its all about the genes. Dominant versus Recessive. If their disorders aren't dominant then there are greater chances of them having a perfectly normal kid.

Basically it is just like a couple where both has brunette hair and they produce an off spring thats blond. Mendel's probabilities.

Genetics was a wicked subject to study when I wuz in Bio AP.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

kinda like an asian couple with a kid that has a 6 foot penis

My Ride
    88' BMW 325i

Depends on the condition of the parents. As was mentioned above, if the condition is a genetic condition that leads to developmental abnormalities of the brain, then there is a good chance that the child will also be developmentally disabled. However, if the parents suffered an injury of some sort that caused the developmental delay, there is a good chance that the kids will not develop the same condition.

Often there are genetic defects that have to do with hormonal production, fetus development, or organ development and acutally do not affect the brain until later in life. An example of this is dwarfism, where often the brain develops normally until birth, but after birth other defects in the body cause the brain to malfunction causing retardation. In this case, there is a good chance that the parents kids could be dwarfs and develop the same condition, but there is also a chance that they will not recieve the mutated gene from either parent, and develop normally.

There is more than punnet squares involved here, there are other factors such as weaknesses in telomeres during crossing over, chromosome stabalization during fertilization, and other factors that have recentely been found to play a significant role in genetic mutation and birth defects.

That is all I can tell you, cause I have to eat some breaky, but look it up on Pub Med.

My Ride
    '05 Acura TL

Default Re: Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids?

Originally posted by rage2
    "When the fuck did we get ice cream?"
    Originally posted by edde
    its called sarcasim you fucking idiot

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Mo Squared
    Depends on the condition of the parents. As was mentioned above, if the condition is a genetic condition that leads to developmental abnormalities of the brain, then there is a good chance that the child will also be developmentally disabled. However, if the parents suffered an injury of some sort that caused the developmental delay, there is a good chance that the kids will not develop the same condition.

Often there are genetic defects that have to do with hormonal production, fetus development, or organ development and acutally do not affect the brain until later in life. An example of this is dwarfism, where often the brain develops normally until birth, but after birth other defects in the body cause the brain to malfunction causing retardation. In this case, there is a good chance that the parents kids could be dwarfs and develop the same condition, but there is also a chance that they will not recieve the mutated gene from either parent, and develop normally.

There is more than punnet squares involved here, there are other factors such as weaknesses in telomeres during crossing over, chromosome stabalization during fertilization, and other factors that have recentely been found to play a significant role in genetic mutation and birth defects.

That is all I can tell you, cause I have to eat some breaky, but look it up on Pub Med.
    It's so much complicated than a yes or no answer, plus it's a lot more involved than high school bio..

A million things can cause mental retardation, from genetic factors, to teratogenic factors, to physical trauma...you name it.

My Ride
    ShitBox Rustbucket

fetal alcohol syndrome

Default Re: Re: Do mentally challenged couples make mentally challenged kids?

Originally posted by Whitetiger
    Ditch up the old Bio 30 books... I remember doing those genes charts or what not... (of the possible combinations of outcomes)

Mind you we were using examples of mixing different colours of flowers or dog treads or something.

I agree with Whitetiger, bio 30 would be very useful in this situation. perhaps a punnett square would be a good tool to use.
    hahahaha

they once found 2 "special kids" screwing in the ditch in front of my school.. they still had their clothes on though..

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

^^ ya they do have sex... I figured that out tryng to search for an answer to this question and stumbled upon a guide to tell parents how to teach sex-ed to their special kids.

http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/PUB...engedyouth.pdf
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

There was a thing in the Paper Wednesday I believe about disabled couples having Invitro-Fertilization and having the lab persons add or remove that portion of their chromasomes to have a child come out like them so that they'd be "Normal".

Talk about fucking the kids life up, "Yah, we have Downs, and Dwarfism, and we want our kid to have the same."

Numerous clinics accross north america already do this, tho not at a cheap price, 15kUSD per attempt.

I can see screening the shit OUT, but ADDING it? wow, not on my buck thats for sure.
    Travel

My Ride
    2006 Jetta 2.5

yes and no Depends on genetic conditions of the disabilty.

the genes the causes dwarfism must be present in in both parents and the child has a 50/50 chance of developing from that set genes(unless its hormonal Proportional dwarfism)

In Down syndrome it develops from having extra sets(3) of chromosomes (21 and 14) caused by centric fusion. Humans have five acrocentric chromosomes which means having centromere near there ends. Chromosome 21 has centromeres near its ends and can break at the centromeres and then join the long arms of 14 or 15. the short arms left over join and are usually lost in cell division((Robertsonian Translocation). If all the genetic material in the long arm is present everything is ok, but you'll only have pass 45 chromosomes during the development of your child. During meisiois if one parent is translocated chromosome 14/21 or only 21 and the other parent has full normal set of chromosomes, the child is screwed(dies). If its translocated 14/21 AND normal 21 the child get down syndrome and will have 47 chromosomes with 3 sets of 21s in there. the severity of the disability varies on how much code was copied and such.

rage, it depends on the underlying condition that causes the person to be mentally challenged. For example, if the people was mentally challenged because of birth hypoxia, but have normal chromosomes (ie. would have been "normal" without the birth trauma) then their child would have no higher risk of being mentally challenged than any other couple.

If they have Down's syndrome, their overall fertility will be reduced anyway, but there is an off chance that they can conceive a chromosomally normal child. Each case is different, and there are other factors that come into play like age to give a simple Punnet square Bio 30 answer. There are people who do these risk calculations and genetic counselling as their jobs, so giving a simple yes/no answer would only touch the surface of the complexities.

Originally posted by Shaad
    yes and no Depends on genetic conditions of the disabilty.

the genes the causes dwarfism must be present in in both parents and the child has a 50/50 chance of developing from that set genes(unless its hormonal Proportional dwarfism)
    No, that is not the way dwarfism works. First, there are multiple types of dwarfism to give a simple response like this. What kind are you talking about? Osteogenesis imperfecta? Which type of OI? Achondroplasia? Ellis van-Creveld?

For the most common type of dwarfism, the achondroplastic dwarf, inheritance is autosomal dominant, meaning only one parent needs to have the gene. The dwarfs you see are heterozygous achondroplastics, since the homozygous condition is uniformly fatal in utero. That said, a Punnet square can be used to describe the potential offspring of 2 heterozygous anchondroplastic dwarf. 1/4 will die before birth, 1/4 will be normal phenotype, while the other 1/2 will be like the parents, heterozygous achondroplastic.

Most of the cases of achondroplasia are actually due to spontaneous mutation rather than from the offspring of achondroplastics.

My Ride
    2006 Jetta 2.5

yeah thought process and hands typing didnt keep in sink on my part. Your right. Rage was asking if both parents with disabilities pass it on to offspring but I only wanted to use it in the context of two parents with the same disability or gene. So was thinking about achondroplasia the typical dwarf and primordial dwarfs and mixed it together. Achondroplasia being the typical dwarf and if both parents carry the gene the offspring have a 50% probability of being a dwarf themselves. 25% they will die, 25% they will be normal. And thinking of primordial being those extremely small people with lots of problems. Both parents can be normal but can pass on the disability by a certain and rare combinations between the couples genetics I believe. Not sure how primordial works out genetic wise I think its a 50/50 thing or 100% kind of thing. Have heard and read a couple different things about this one sometimes contradicting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast