Quantcast
Office networking question... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Office networking question...

Default Office networking question...

Hey my buddy is trying to network his office and has a quick question:

They have about 8 computers running XP that are all connected to the same router with a password protected wireless network... this network can share files and printers as well as the Internet. Now, they also have guests visit the office that they would like to provide internet access to (through a few wired ports as well as wirelessly), but they do not want to grant the guests access to the internal network (so they cannot see all the shard drives, etc).

To do this would they need to get a 2nd line and account from Shaw? Or is there some way to get two separate networks off of the same router? I was thinking that they could have two groups (like 'MSHOME' for one and 'GUEST' for the other... cause then one group wouldn't be able to see the resources on the other, right?). If anyone who has experience in this could shed some light on this it would be greatly apprechiated.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

They either need a second network, or they need to upgrade their router to a model that includes a dmz port.

Or alternatively if they have more than 1 external IP address they can buy a cheap switch to put before the router which would act as a dmz.

In the router scenario, wouldn't the port on the DMZ still have access to the rest of the network though?

Or alternatively if they have more than 1 external IP address they can buy a cheap switch to put before the router which would act as a dmz.
    Nice, I like that solution. Sounds like a pretty clean setup without any headaches. Thanks!
    Last edited by Super_Geo; 01-08-2007 at 02:11 PM.

It depends on the type of router and switch they are using. Is the switch a managed switch at all? Or is this type of device just a linksys or dlink, small business type of device?

My Ride
    91 PP1 - 93 EH6 - 01 BB6

Very simple.
    Run one of the computers existing NIC to an wireless access point (on a different channel of course), and use internet connection sharing on that connection. On that WAP run no wep encryption...

edit: nm didn't read the wired part :P, instead of a WAP run another wireless router in the method I described using ICS.
    Last edited by Primer_Drift; 01-08-2007 at 03:07 PM.