Quantcast
major crisis with the accord - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: major crisis with the accord

My Ride
    Celica

Angry major crisis with the accord

okie well heres the problem, I drive a 99 accord and just recently it has been acting really weird. I would just drive normally and out of now where the car would stop, like the engine would completely stop, and when I try starting the car again it wont start until I at least try 7 times to start it again,

its a brand new car also, so anyone have any ideas on what it could be? I'm getting it checked out ASAP, but I'm kind of paranoid right now.. thnx

My Ride
    a tank

could be the battery, but it shouldnt kill the engine like that only when you turn it off and on. my mom's 94 accord use to leak transmission oil and that was a close one if we hadnt fix it right away. check all your oil levels.. if its new.. you should be able to contact ur dealer and have a look at it..
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

If its really brand new, bring it to the dealer and let them deal with it under warranty!

My Ride
    Celica

yah thats what I'm doing, but for now its really bothering me on what it could be grr rrr

My Ride
    a wrx.

have u checked simple stuff like leaks and loose stuff?

My Ride
    Celica

well yah, I just got a full check up on the car just last week, they said there was nothing wrong with it at all and that it shouldnt be doing that again, but hmm they're wrong, but I'm taking it in again so they can double check..

My Ride
    BMW

All i can say is...someones got a lemon

Nick

My Ride
    Celica

huh?? lemon?

My Ride
    BMW

Lemon= unlucky car..i had a jeep like that it had nothing but problems. Bud had same jeep same year no problems. Just an unlucky one outa the bunch.

Nick

My Ride
    Celica

oh okiez, didnt know wat u were talking about there

Heres my take on this since no one has offered her any sort of actual technical stuff on this matter.
    If the car is just dying out on you while driving then I am gonna put all I have in the bank on saying that its NOT your battery.
    Now what it does sound like to me... Anyone wanna listen? no... Oh well you are gonna listen...
    I would put the problem in the ball park of fuel or a slim possibility on electric.
    Now the car itself could be starving itself for fuel, the injectors or since it is a new car, the computer/wiring that controls the injectors could be FUBAR. Anyways, the fuel cuts off and therefore the engine dies. Now the car would take a few times to try to get it started again because fuel will have to be pumped from the tank through the lines and into the injectors.
    The car could also be flooding itself with fuel. It could run rich to the point where it just makes itself FUBAR and the engine dies out. Now since the engine is already flooded with fuel it will take a while to drain out and make a proper ratio of air and fuel to get going again.
    My last theory rests on the good old computer or wiring. Give it a short or a malfunctioning device and you will have this problem.

Well it is safe to drive I guess, altho ... Well, your brakes probably lock and maybe so does the steering wheen when it turns off, so NO its not safe to drive...
    What I would do is park it and call up the dealer and tell THEM to come get it or tow it... They will run some diags and get it sorted out.

Dave

My Ride
    firebird

Most likely not the battery. I am betting it is a fuel delivery problem.

It could be the main fuel relay, REALLY clogged injectors, or REALLY clogged fuel filter. Or a bad fuel pump....But why on a 99? Kinda weird.

Post mileage, and any work done on it recently.

Also, does the accord have a DIS or does it run off a distributor with plug wires etc?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    Also, does the accord have a DIS or does it run off a distributor with plug wires etc?
    Should be running off a DIS, with the year of the car, it shouldnt be running a distributor cap.
    Although it shouldnt be anything to do with the spark. If it did, she would definately hear detonation and miss-fire a while before the car dies out.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

99 and a brand new car? Was it left on the lot for 4 years without anyone buying it? doesn't make sense.

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by TurboDSM

Should be running off a DIS, with the year of the car, it shouldnt be running a distributor cap.
    Although it shouldnt be anything to do with the spark. If it did, she would definately hear detonation and miss-fire a while before the car dies out.
    I wasn't sure if all the new honda's were DIS. I was thinking old school diagnostics such as:

1-change plug wires
    2- change distributor cap, rotor

Maybe the ignition coils are fried.... But you would probably get a check engine light if so.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

There was a recall for selected Hondas from 97-00 for some bad ignition problem where the car would just stall while in operation. I'd consult the dealer whether your car was affected and whether the recall was done. Car's don't stall while they're moving if the battery's dead. Car's don't start if the battery's dead unless you've got a monster stereo in there and you're idling at low rpms...

My Ride
    Celica

it doesnt make sense to me either, yah it runs On DIS (99 accord), when it turns off before it does theres always a lil spark and sometimes a flash of light everywhere in the car, or the readings just go wild then click everything stops, the steering wheel is stiff along with the brakes etc...

My Ride
    Bowling shoes

This is most likely a result of the recall.

Make: HONDA
    Model: ACCORD SEDAN / COUPE

Affected Year(s): 1997 1998 1999
    Units Affected: 188463
    TC Recall #: 2002096
    Manufacturer:
    Campaign Code: AJ63, AJ64, AJ62, HJ81, HJ82, HJ83, HJ84, HJ85

On certain vehicles electrical contacts in the ignition switch can degrade due to the high electrical current passing through the switch when the vehicle is started. Worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash. Correction: Dealers will replace the ignition switch.

This happened to my 98 Accord awhile back, it starts off not too bad and gets increasingly worse. Take it in ASAP, with the engine stalling and your steering locking up is bad news (it stalled on me twice when I was trying to turn). It only takes a few hours to fix.

My Ride
    Celica

thnx everyone who postes =) greatly appreciated its going back to the dealers tomorrows

My Ride
    2007 Impreza Wagon

faulty ignition coil maybe? Like maybe a bad connection to it