Quantcast
High reps low weight... or high weight low reps? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: High reps low weight... or high weight low reps?

My Ride
    '00 Civic SE

Default High reps low weight... or high weight low reps?

Ok I know this has been asked a billion times but I have heard so many different opinions it's retarded...

So if someone could please, answer this:

Do high weight low rep routines grow weak muscle faster and low weight high rep routines create lean muscle?

I'm 17 y/o, 5' 10", 145 lbs. and going to Mexico in 7 months, I'd like to gain muscle before then mainly for looks (without any steroids or crap like that). Right now I'm going to the gym whenever I have time between school and work (about 2 - 4 times a week depending on how motivated I am) followed with a creatine shake every time.

My workout routine is generally 5 minutes of hard cardio just to get my heart rate up followed by 10-8-6 reps of biceps, triceps, chest, and as many chin ups as I can do (anywhere between 5 and 15) and as many sets of 20 sit ups I can do (BTW I hate these, so any alternative ab workouts would be very useful to me).

So my question is, what can I change to affect my results the most? Maybe working out my legs, doing a more rounded routine, something like that. I've read eating lots is the best way but I am on a very tight budget right now and really can't spend any money. So the cheaper the better!

Thanks in advance for any help, and feel free to pm me any workout routines or w/e if you know of anything that can help.
    Last edited by JNeil; 01-09-2007 at 02:11 AM.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

ok well i will tell you right know you are not getting huge in 7 months

your best bet (and what i think you want to do) is the get a bit of definition

so i changed what you sayed to this,

My workout routine is generally 30 minutes of medium cardio just to get rid of some fat followed by 15-15-15-15 reps of biceps, triceps, chest, and as many chin ups as I can do (anywhere between 5 and 15) and as many sets of 20 inclined sit ups I can do with a medicine ball getting tossed to me with me twisting side to side with it and tossing it back

and the other days of the week do lower body (squats etc.)

all so you will have to watch your food intake (no more mc dicks) eat health well balanced meals

7 months is not the time frame you want to get big just get ripped (or more definition i dout you will get ripped in 7 months)

My Ride
    a wrx.

Your routine is pretty n00b. You won't get far doing just arms+chest. You need to do compound exercises that work large muscle groups along with targetting the muscles you want to grow. That means supplementing your current routine with shit like dead lifts, squats, military presses, chinups (guess you got that covered,) standing bicep curls rather than sitting, you get the idea...

My Ride
    '00 Civic SE

I understand 7 months is not nearly enough to get huge, I just want some definition as you said.

Now losing fat will get me definition, but is there any way I can actually grow some more muscle before I go. Getting huge is not my main priority it's more getting a little more muscle so if I do get rid of some fat I don't look stupidly scrawny.

Now you said 15-15-15-15, so I assume I should lower the weight I'm doing so I can actually do this many reps? Or keep the same weight and quit being a baby?

My Ride
    a wrx.

A lot of people have different ideas about what creates bulk, but low reps definitely do increase strength like mad. I've been doing the 10-8-6 type thing (sometimes 12-10-7, sometimes 10-7-4...it's pretty variable) and I've doubled to tripled my weights in 4 months time, but I've only gained a few pounds.

Oh, and another thing...if you don't eat a shitload, you won't bulk. If you don't eat a ton, working out isn't even worth it...

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

true but thats a more long turn thing i never sayed dont eat much just with a short time frame eat healthy

play with your weights so you can no longer lift the weight at the end of the last rep

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by ercchry
    play with your weights so you can no longer lift the weight at the end of the last rep
    To follow this, make sure you always go with a buddy so you can have a spot on everything you do.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by JNeil
    I understand 7 months is not nearly enough to get huge, I just want some definition as you said.
    Don't let these guys get you down dude, you might not get huge, but if you work hard and eat lots you can gain 25 pounds in 6 months, I did it, about 10 pounds of that weight was probably fat but I looked a lot better after just a few months. Just eat like a mad man, and do heavy weights with low reps if you want to get bigger.

I skimmed through quickly, sorry you want big muscles or definition? Because at 5'10 145 it shouldnn't be hard to get defined after a few months.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Another important factor to gaining size other than the important eating part is rest!!

I don't know you or your daily routines, but I did notice that you were posting at 2 am. That is none of my business, but it did remind me that getting proper amounts of rest while doing all the workouts and eating is VERY important for growth.

There are a few trustworthy guys on here that know their stuff and have been around long enough for a trusworthy name .( GTS Jeff, Hakkola,Wildcat, etc. are reliable for info.) Just don't get caught up in any keyboard attitude while asking questions about working out, there are alot of dorks out there.

If you have any questions, PM me. My GF is a certified personal trainer, and she has no problems giving advice. (not working in the field at this time, but still certified)

good luck!

PS you better believe we want to see PICS of the sluts from your trip when you get back!!!
    cheers
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    bmw m3

Yea the first few pounds come on easy and then after a while of workin out every pound you gain makes you happy.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Keep it simple.

4 sets of 10
    Maximum weight possible for those sets.

Don't over work your body and alternate your muscle groups so you allow resting time for each muscle group.

An intense 1hr workout is all you need. 3 days a week and once on the weekend.

Eat healthy, and supplement with a complex protein before and after your workout.

Oh, and never take advice from someone who doesn't practice it themselves.

Nothing worse then goofballs who post shit and look like PeeWee Herman or Chris Farley.
    Last edited by 89coupe; 01-09-2007 at 10:44 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Go to www.ironaddicts.com and do the Westside Barbell routine for Skinny Bastards.

Follow your workout with 65G Protien shake. Take creatine as well. But keep in mind creatine is kinda quick fix solution. Once off of it you might/more than likely lose some gains.

Also take about 280G of protein a day and eat low GI (glycemic index) carbs. Brown rice, brown pasta, brown everything. Eat A LOT OF THESE TO GAIN MASS. good luck.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    '15 GTI

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    Your routine is pretty n00b. You won't get far doing just arms+chest. You need to do compound exercises that work large muscle groups along with targetting the muscles you want to grow. That means supplementing your current routine with shit like dead lifts, squats, military presses, chinups (guess you got that covered,) standing bicep curls rather than sitting, you get the idea...
    when did you get into working out?

My Ride
    Giant Reign

Originally posted by Darkane
    Go to www.ironaddicts.com and do the Westside Barbell routine for Skinny Bastards.

Follow your workout with 65G Protien shake. Take creatine as well. But keep in mind creatine is kinda quick fix solution. Once off of it you might/more than likely lose some gains.

Also take about 280G of protein a day and eat low GI (glycemic index) carbs. Brown rice, brown pasta, brown everything. Eat A LOT OF THESE TO GAIN MASS. good luck.
    Was that a typo? 280g of protein a day? A person can't metabolize more than 45g of protein at once - why take 65g?
    This guy is 145lbs, why would he take in 280g of protein a day?
    Be careful about who you take advice from in here - if I were you I'd check out bodybuilding.com and do some reading.
    Several studies have investigated the relationship between intelligence and the degree of religious belief (excluding humanism), with most showing an inverse correlation between intelligence averages and the "importance of religion" to the testee.

My Ride
    YZ250

Dude I just went thru this exact same scenario, except I leave tommorow for the carribean and started working out about 8 months ago.

And NO you will not gain 25 lbs of muscle in 7 months, more like 10 if you eat right, and not like a madman.

READ THIS:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by calgarygts

Was that a typo? 280g of protein a day? A person can't metabolize more than 45g of protein at once - why take 65g?
    This guy is 145lbs, why would he take in 280g of protein a day?
    Be careful about who you take advice from in here - if I were you I'd check out bodybuilding.com and do some reading.
    Lol that is definetely NOT a typo. Don take my advice. I could care less. Just so ya know a person's ability to ABSORB the protein depends on different factors and times of the day. Thats why its post workout when the Insulin sensitivity is highest. FYI to put on mass 1.5G of protein per lb of weight AT LEAST.

screw bb.com go to Ironadditcs.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by three.eighteen.

when did you get into working out?
    Beginning of the school year. I'm pretty happy with the results so far, except that I lost like 5 lbs from a 1 week cold haha. I usually don't post much about it because I know there are way more experienced people here with good input.