Quantcast
Compustar doesn't start in Cold weather - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Compustar doesn't start in Cold weather

Default Compustar doesn't start in Cold weather

Compustar S Controllers CM 4200
    1WFM4R remotes
    Car 2002 Alero

When the temperature goes below -20C or -4F the car will not start.
    It starts for 2 seconds and then shut off and tries 2 more time etc.

It still does the same thing is the car is plugged in. (engine nice and warm)

I can start it easily with one turn of the key.

I have read on this Forum that...
    "Nissans have two starter wires a cold start and a warm start you have to power both wires in order to have the remote starter to work properly on cold days."
    Does it apply to an Alero (Oldsmobile)

Help, This is the 2nd second winter this is happening. We live in Winnipeg, Canada and 40 plus mornings a years are colder then -20C

PS the controllers was changed out between the 2 winters (due to something frying it), Different controller, same problem.

Can't reproduce the problem at the Garage (where it was installed) because once I drive it the problems goes away. Until it sits over night in -20C temp again.

I have also see on this forum, that the battery maybe low.
    How can I test this without changing the battery.

Comments?

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

relearn the tach signal, check ur manual to see how to do it, usually u start the car and hold the valet button down within 10 secs of doing it, make sure u learn the tach signal from a cold start...ur starter is likely detecting low revs since the engine is cold and as a safety feature it switches off the car

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

The same thing that ur describing happened exactly to my car, its a 93 Nissan 240sx...startng it with remote start..it would crank but would never turn over, but if u go out and start it with a key and floor the gas a few times it starts up, but remote starter works on not really cold days...but yeah it might deal with fuel?
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-09-2007 at 07:40 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

It does have to do with the tach signal.
    Start the car with the key, push the little button on the back of the Compustar Unit. The lights will flash once and you should be good

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

Originally posted by Strugari
    It does have to do with the tach signal.
    Start the car with the key, push the little button on the back of the Compustar Unit. The lights will flash once and you should be good

just make sure its a COLD start

cuz if u do it while ur doing a warm start...ur car will rev higher right away and ur remote starter will think its the "normal" way ur car starts...when its actually not...u need to set it the first time u start the car after its been sitting for a few hrs.

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

Its not good to start your car on a cold start, its not good for the engine. On Compustar(I ain't sure with the one way models) that you can program the starter to start your car every few hours for 15 mintues so that you don't have to worry about a cold start. Look through your manual and see if you can set it for once every few hours for 15 mins, and that should clear up the problem.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

u'd waste SO much gas doing that thruout the winter tho^ not worth it at all...theres nothing wrong with using a starter in the cold as far as i kno...

My Ride
    HPI Savage X w/mach 4 engine

The way I look at it I would rather waste the 15 mintues worth of gas say every 3 hours, rather than not being able to make it to work. I ain't saying do it every hour for 15 mintues, then thats a waste.

My question is that is it harder on the car trying to start your car when its -40 outside, rather than letting it idle every few hours for 15 mintues...

Hahaha you're kidding right? All that unnecessary starting can't be good for the engine or the starter. Let alone the wasted fuel.

Compustars should have no problem starting in cold weather if installed correctly. Hopefully your installer hooked it up using the tach signal instead of taking the lazy way out.

Do it the proper way, press the learn button on the compustar during a cold start and the problem is solved.

------------------------------
    Originally by charlie_l:

Tach vs. Tachless mode

Depending on the make and model of the remote starter, there can be two possible modes of operation, Tach and Tachless.

In Tachless mode, the remote starter cranks the starter for a predetermined (and typically programmable) amount of time each time the car is started (or attempts to start) using the remote starter. After that amount of crank time, .6 sec for example, a decent remote starter will monitor the voltage of the battery and will determine if the car is running or not based on that voltage (ie. the alternator output when the car is running is about 13v vs. the 12v or so from the battery alone.) If the vehicle failed to start after the first timed crank, there are usually two more attempts before it gives up.

In "Tach" mode, the remote starter needs to monitor a tachometer signal, and will crank the engine until the engine starts and it gets a valid signal on the Tach wire (based on a reference Tach signal programmed during installation). There is usually a max crank time too. There are pretty much two choices for where to tap into a tachometer signal, either under the hood at the main coil (or individual cylinder coil), or inside the car (tap the computer or dash tachometer signal). From my limited experience, many installers seem to prefer tapping into a tach wire inside the car, as running a wire from the remote starter module to the engine may require drilling through the firewall, installing a grommet, carefully running a wire and making a good waterproof connection.

Installation using Tach mode and tapping into the tachometer signal is my preference, and seems to be the most reliable method when done properly, especially in a cold climate. As the weather gets colder, most cars crank longer before starting. The starter will automatically crank longer (if needed) in Tach mode. In Tachless mode, one or two additional timed start attempts may be needed, as the crank time won't change unless it is reprogrammed (added risk of grinding starter). With an engine that is difficult to start Tachless mode could be problematic too.

Originally posted by 88CRXGUY
    Its not good to start your car on a cold start, its not good for the engine. On Compustar(I ain't sure with the one way models) that you can program the starter to start your car every few hours for 15 mintues so that you don't have to worry about a cold start. Look through your manual and see if you can set it for once every few hours for 15 mins, and that should clear up the problem.
    Last edited by cal653; 01-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Thank you for your comments.
    I will try and follow your instructions and test on a cold day.

It could be the battery in the car, you should be able to get it tested for free at any Canadian Tire. Another option would be to find someone with the option programmer, and program the setting that makes it crank an extra 2sec, cause it may not be cranking quite long enough.

Good luck.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info