Quantcast
Wheel Balancing - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Wheel Balancing

Question Wheel Balancing

Where is the cheapest place in Calgary to get a set of 31" tires balanced?
    Would prefer if it was in the south end somewhere.
    Thanks,

Tye

28 views and not one person gets their tires balanced? Or is everyone just paying too much ?
    Mabey I'll start talking about wiper blades and get several pages of responses .

Tye

Dang man... It is a job that is usually no more than $10.00 to $15.00 per wheel/tire (on the vehicle) so finding the cheapest place seems like more effort than the money you will save in the hunt. Find somewhere who has a good balancer, not who's cheap... It makes a difference!

P.S. - We have a Hunter Road Force Balancer, so it doesn't get any better than that, but we are N.E.

$50 may not be alot of money to alot of people, but I work hard for it and I know what it takes to balance a wheel and it isn't hard. I just don't have the machine to do it.
    I have found myself going through lots of different sets of tires and wheels lately and would like to find the best deal out there.
    But alas, it seems $10-11 per wheel is the going rate.

CMSbob, if I brought in my tires/wheels loose (so you wouldn't have to take them off the vehichle), would you do the 4 for $20?
    And yes, the tires are mounted on the rims already.

Tye

try calling TK's tire & Auto. Usually have good prices. Its close to blackfoot motosports.

Originally posted by TyzToyz
    $50 may not be alot of money to alot of people, but I work hard for it and I know what it takes to balance a wheel and it isn't hard. I just don't have the machine to do it.
    I have found myself going through lots of different sets of tires and wheels lately and would like to find the best deal out there.

CMSbob, if I brought in my tires/wheels loose (so you wouldn't have to take them off the vehichle), would you do the 4 for $20?

Tye
    If you are STRICTLY concerned about price, some high school mechanic shops will do it for free so the kids have something else to work on. Unfortunately from my experience there has been 2 kinds of people who take mechanics: those who care about other people's stuff, and those who dont. Just a suggestion, so its up to you. I'd pay the $10-$15/wheel.

My Ride
    rental

Tye
    That's like saying I know how to cook a steak, bake some potatos, make gravy... but I'd like to offer Tony Roman's $8 for their 16oz. prime rib. I mean, I know how to "cook it", just don't have the industrial kitchen or environment setting at home.

Call me an ass, fine. Just don't think it's fair for a business paying $3,000-4,000 for these machines and people thinking it doesn't cost the business a thing. (and that's not even factoring in property tax, heat, employees, electricity, etc...)...

In the spirit of staying on topic: To ANSWER your initial question... I believe there are a couple of members here who works at tire shops (check the tire thread), work out a deal with them, for them to pretend it's their own tires (usually the boss won't charge employees doing their own tires right)... And then buy them McDonald's or something @ $6... There, I just saved you another $14.
    Last edited by Whitetiger; 01-10-2007 at 11:06 AM.

Tye
    Forgive me man... I understand the value of money and was not trying to suggest at all that you shouldn't consider it, but what I mean to say is that if you are going to spend time hunting around, you will get better value out of looking for a good machine and system than you will be saving $10 or so and get a lousy job done, and trust me... It does make a difference.

Companies like ours use only tape weights on custom wheels and we only balance with the weights behind the spoke line. Even on OEM mags that use clip style weights, we only use plastic coated weights to help reduce damage to the finish over the long haul. Our balancing machine cost 3 to 5 times more than most machines and it does a whole lot more than a traditional balancer. It not only balances the tire/wheel assembly, but it measure the force indifference applied to the road surface and if there are unacceptable limits then the machine instructs the operator the best position for the tire on the wheel so to reduce this varience improving ride quality and eliminating vibrations. If there is a problem that can't be fixed it will identify whether it is the rim or the tire that is the problem and what that problem is...

For all these reasons we cannot just do a cheap job as all this costs more money and extra time vs a traditional machine to do properly. As the old saying goes... you do get what you pay for.

If you bring in 4 wheels off of a vehicle, we charge $7.50 per rim if it is a clip weight style, or $10.00 a wheel if it is a custom tape weight job, and I do gurantee my work.

My Ride
    rental

+1 for higher quality @ competitive pricing.

Originally posted by CMSbob
    Forgive me man... I understand the value of money and was not trying to suggest at all that you shouldn't consider it, but what I mean to say is that if you are going to spend time hunting around, you will get better value out of looking for a good machine and system than you will be saving $10 or so and get a lousy job done, and trust me... It does make a difference.

Companies like ours use only tape weights on custom wheels and we only balance with the weights behind the spoke line. Even on OEM mags that use clip style weights, we only use plastic coated weights to help reduce damage to the finish over the long haul. Our balancing machine cost 3 to 5 times more than most machines and it does a whole lot more than a traditional balancer. It not only balances the tire/wheel assembly, but it measure the force indifference applied to the road surface and if there are unacceptable limits then the machine instructs the operator the best position for the tire on the wheel so to reduce this varience improving ride quality and eliminating vibrations. If there is a problem that can't be fixed it will identify whether it is the rim or the tire that is the problem and what that problem is...

For all these reasons we cannot just do a cheap job as all this costs more money and extra time vs a traditional machine to do properly. As the old saying goes... you do get what you pay for.

If you bring in 4 wheels off of a vehicle, we charge $7.50 per rim if it is a clip weight style, or $10.00 a wheel if it is a custom tape weight job, and I do gurantee my work.