Quantcast
Need advice, having first kid - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice, having first kid

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Just remember the car. Reliable beater. Because you are both so young you have to have something you can waive collision insurance as that's super expensive for under 25s. You'll save thousands every year. But it's tough to suck it up and drive something that isn't cool. Too many couples get blinded by low monthly payments and get a new VUE or Escape, or worse get into leasing.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    1990 300zx LHD ;) 400HP

good luck with the baby man hopefully in the long run you'll find it more fun that your talon ever was

and for those of you thinking she has other stuff to tell him...fuck off seriously, she was probably scared of his responce and how they were going to raise it. He is now starting to panic. Hope it goes well man

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

We both didnt know,.
    As my previous post stated...

She went back on the pill,
    Every time previously she missed a couple months.
    We thought this was one of those again. Then after the third month we got worried.

but thanks a lot

I will truly miss my Talon, but i guess it is for the best to sell it.

My Ride
    90Laser/eclipse

if you need any baby shit pm me...
    my buddys kid is something like a year and a half old now and his gf to me to offer it to you.
    they have tons of crap. its all for a boy.
    my sister has a baby girl and she will be a year old by the time you baby is born. she also has tons of crap that im sure you can take.
    my sister jsut turned 19 so she is in the same shape as you.
    my buddy is 22 and his gf is 18 almost 19.
    they are all doing fine.
    they were worried at first but they have made it work.
    with rent and everything my buddy says it cost him roughly 3g's a month...
    save up as much as you can now for the first few months. get you girlfriend working agian once the baby is a bit older.
    lots of places now are offering childcare!
    best of luck man

dunno if its been mentioned, but has she been smoking and drinking the whole time? better cut that shit out,.

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

Originally posted by dankish1
    if you need any baby shit pm me...
    my buddys kid is something like a year and a half old now and his gf to me to offer it to you.
    they have tons of crap. its all for a boy.
    my sister has a baby girl and she will be a year old by the time you baby is born. she also has tons of crap that im sure you can take.
    my sister jsut turned 19 so she is in the same shape as you.
    my buddy is 22 and his gf is 18 almost 19.
    they are all doing fine.
    they were worried at first but they have made it work.
    with rent and everything my buddy says it cost him roughly 3g's a month...
    save up as much as you can now for the first few months. get you girlfriend working agian once the baby is a bit older.
    lots of places now are offering childcare!
    best of luck man
    Thanks man, i will find out the sex of the baby next week or two.
    Then i will let you know.
    I appreciate all of the help everyone.

My g/f drank for the last time 3 months ago, she got a little tipsy. But we never knew she was prego.
    Hope that didnt do anything. We are getting everything checked rather soon.

My Ride
    300 Limited

Jokes aside, good luck man!
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    she been smoking .
    Smoking only has caused lower birth weight, if anything. Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
    Last edited by ryder_23; 01-10-2007 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by ryder_23

Smoking only has caused lower birth rate, if anything. Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
    I think you mean birth weight, big diff.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

^

ya, my bad, hahaha

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

Thanks guys

No she doesnt smoke,
    But drank once or twice

My Ride
    Audi

Congrats!

If you need a crib, one of my co-workers is giving away a crib and a car seat (USED CAR SEAT). I can ask him if he still has it if you want either.

Congrats! There is a ton of good advice in this thread, any questions you have, there are many people on here that can help. I completely agree with the previous poster, don't be afraid to ask for help! You guys will be fine!
    Success is the ultimate revenge.

Originally posted by ryder_23

Smoking only has caused lower birth weight, if anything. Its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be
    Where are you getting your information from? Only lower birth weight?

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pre...g/1405720.html

How will smoking affect my baby?
    A shortage of oxygen can have devastating effects on your baby's growth and development. On average, smoking during pregnancy doubles the chances that a baby will be born too early or weigh less than 5 1/2 pounds at birth. Smoking also more than doubles the risk of stillbirth.
    Weight and size
    On average, a pack-a-day habit during pregnancy will shave about a half-pound from a baby's birth weight. Smoking two packs a day throughout your pregnancy could make your baby a full pound or more lighter. While some women may welcome the prospect of delivering a smaller baby, stunting a baby's growth in the womb can have negative consequences that last a lifetime.

Body and lungs
    Undersize babies tend to have underdeveloped bodies. Their lungs may not be ready to work on their own, which means they may spend their first days or weeks attached to a respirator. After they're breathing on their own (or even if they did from the start), these babies may have continuing breathing problems — because of delayed lung development or other adverse effects of nicotine. Children whose mothers smoked during pregnancy are especially vulnerable to asthma, and have double or even triple the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Brain function
    Smoking during pregnancy can have lifelong effects on your baby's brain. Children of pregnant smokers are especially likely to have learning disorders, behavioral problems, and relatively low IQs. Recent animal studies suggest that nicotine in the womb can program a baby's brain for a future addiction. By the time that baby becomes a teenager, just a few cigarettes could be enough to get him hooked.
    It really bothers me when people make such callous and ignorant comments. A baby is an innocent being brought into the world, who DESERVES to be given every chance to lead a normal and healthy ilfe. They should not be disadvantaged before they even take their first breath.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

Go buy the book "What to expect when your expecting". You can get it at chapters. Also, your doctor will give you an information booklet. It has all the information you will need.

You need to register for baby classes at the hospital asap. They will teach you invaluable information.

I wouldn't say you have to save up thousands and thousands of dollars, baby's really arn't all that expensive, if you are breast feeding. Just make sure you have all the basic stuff:

-Car seat and stroller (perferably one that you can take the car seat thing out and pop it into the stroller)
    -Crib
    -Small portable basonette
    -Saline and a nose booger sucker***
    -Lots of diapers (like 500 lots)
    -Zincofax and a million wipes
    -Baby bath + baby soap
    -Baby washcloths and towels
    -Lots of recieving blankets (20 min)
    -Lots of sleepers (at least 10)
    -Pacifier
    -Baby monitor

If she has a baby shower expect to get a ton of stuff, but I would buy the basics anyways.

Hopefully she qualifies for maternity benifits thru the government. Its basically EI, so its not very much but it will definatly help pay your bills.

Honestly, if i were in your 2 shoes, i would see if we could live with either of our parents, maybey they have room to set up a small suit for us or something. It would make things alot easier for you 2 if you also had grama and grampa there to help out. (becides saving you money)

I have a 4 month old at home, it can be pretty difficult sometimes but u love them so much its ok!

I would also say, try and find a decient car, not some beater.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Wow...pretty easy to see who has kids and who doesn't...lol

Don't stress about being worried at this point. It doesn't matter how old you are when you have your first one (I was 31, making good money), everyone feels like a lost idiot. The biggest challenge for us was the first month. You feel like a dummy because you don't know why the baby is crying. The truth is nobody knows. You will become more patient than you could ever imagine. Being a dad is easily the best & worst job in the world and I wouldn't change it for anything.

As far as specifics....Wal-Mart is your friend. Get the "What to expect when your expecting", it has a lot of good information. After that, lost (at least 20) receiving blankets and wash cloths.

As far as the car goes, you are just looking for reliable.....not sexy. A decent early '90's Civic or Corolla will do just fine. Your priorities will change quite a bit in the next year. Once the little one is born you probably won't even miss the Talon.

Good luck and remember...you'll be just fine.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    2006 Honda Civic LX

Congrats on the baby news! My sister is a fairly young mother as well (24). She is due in a few weeks and is having a girl so if you still need anything in 4 months like new born baby clothes PM me and I will be able to help you out!

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

^ thanks everyone
    This support is very surprising from beyonders.

And very much appreciated at the same time.

Once we find out the sex of the baby, i will post it.
    Then see if anyone wants to help out then
    THanks everyone.

My Ride
    POS

Just remember that kids don't see things the way you do. They cry because they want something or simply want you to hold them so don't get pissed at them. If you're pissed the best thing to do is to walk away and don't touch them until you've calmed down.

I have a ton of toys, clothing, and some other baby stuff that I would gladly donate if you need any as babies are very expensive. Good luck

Edit: clothing is boys and girls, my kids are boy 2 and girl 4 so have clothing from newborn to their age now. Hand me downs at these ages will help out a lot because they grow like weeds. Also have walker toys and strollers and possibly a nice sized crib beause we are currently trying to get our little boy to sleep in his own bed.
    Last edited by topmade; 01-11-2007 at 11:49 AM.

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

Thank you very much.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast