Quantcast
Mount Royal University - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Mount Royal University

My Ride
    2010 G37x

Originally posted by 5hift

2) UofC allows the less intelligent individuals to hide in the masses. Take one look at CPSC classes. At UofC it was riduculously easy to copy programs, tests etc. At MRC in CPSC, if you dont know what your doing, it gets identified pretty fast. For 231 at MRC I was writing code by myself for my midterm, while my friends at UofC were looking at slide shows on loops and doing multiple choice tests where everyone copied. Another example is the intro econ classes. At MRC for me it was all written and in order to pass you actually have to understand what your doing. At UofC, half the class never shows for lectures, and everyone just gets last semesters multiple choice exam to know what to expect because its always pretty much the same. [/B]
    I can confirm this, a buddy of mine graduated from cpsc at U of C, however he can't code the simplest programs. I doubt he even coded for the 4 years, he either did documentation, copied or took course without programming (e.g. SENG). He does have another degree in econ and currently working towards his MBA (Finance) and had no plan working in IT. He simply finished it because he didn't want to "waste" all his courses.

Originally posted by Teggy

WTF.....
    you know i'm a student at MRC, and busted my ass in high school graduated with honors, applied to U of C, U of A, and MRC, (got in to all)but chose MRC because they had a better business program then the joke offered at U of C. And as a matter of fact their were students in my classes that had transferred from the u of c to mrc because of that reason. didn't bust our ass as hard...... I see that the students at U of C think very highly of themselves
    Furthermore, At mrc i'm not just a number. When i have a lecture the class is about 24-30 students. The prof. gets to know you on a one on one bases. Ask somebody that goes to the lectures at the u of c, 300 - 400 students cramming themselves into the pit to listen to someone who dosen't give a rats ass who u are.
    Same here. Got accepted to u of c, u of a mrc, and carlton... busted my ass off... still am. chose mt royal cuz my friends and smaller classes. when i transfer nd finish my program at whatever school i want. makes sense to me, have my fun and my education. you only live once. mount royal rockc!
    A Los Angeles City ordanance states that anyone detonating a nuclear device within city limits will be fined $500.

I've spent time at u of c, and personally, i like how i can walk up to anyone at mt royal and have a conversation, everyone ive met seems friendly, like a small town. the university campus, not a chance, everybodies too high on themselves when i went...

A Los Angeles City ordanance states that anyone detonating a nuclear device within city limits will be fined $500.

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

A concern I have as stated before is that Mt. Royal will still be thought of as a "college" for quite some time, even after granting university degrees. They also can't apply to become a part of the AUCC until two years of university level operating. If they don't get approved then it stays as a college bachelor degree and will not be accredited. This early in the game I still think I'm going to U of L because I know it's certain. Maybe the calgary U of L campus..

My Ride
    2003 Civic

Originally posted by cressida_pimpin

----> COMPETITIVE --you go to Queens?
    Yeah I realised that after I posted the message. By the way, you missed an apostrophe in "Queens" (should be Queen's). Any more corrections I need to make or can the discussion carry on?

My Ride
    2003 Civic

As well, one point that should be made to upcoming graduates looking to attend a college or university ... the best advice for choosing a place for post secondary education should be greatly based on the quality of programs they have to offer in a certain field. That being said, for engineering (for example), Waterloo would be the university of choice ... for environmental sciences, Guelph is a good choice, etc... The point I'm trying to make is don't just choose MR"U" because it offers some university courses, as you will benefit greatly in going to a different university which is a better fit.

My Ride
    X3 3.0, CLK500, FZR600

^ thing is a lot of ppl's marks dictate where they can go. This is a bigger factor than most people believe.
    Listen fam, she had a big rack of lamb
    And they caused mad problems like math exams
    Ask my man, her tits caused traffic jams

My Ride
    2005 Tacoma, 2008 M3

Another big issue is transferability of courses. Many schools only have transfer agreements with two or three schools which may not have been their first choice if they were to go back and do it all over again.

My Ride

Originally posted by PaleRider

I can confirm this, a buddy of mine graduated from cpsc at U of C, however he can't code the simplest programs. I doubt he even coded for the 4 years, he either did documentation, copied or took course without programming (e.g. SENG). He does have another degree in econ and currently working towards his MBA (Finance) and had no plan working in IT. He simply finished it because he didn't want to "waste" all his courses.
    Yeah I know two guys that got through CPSC at UofC without knowing how to code. Neither can get a decent job now, because the first thing companies ask is to show what you know. Programs are too easy to simply manipulate variables, code and copy. For tests, many, many people cheat at UofC. Much more from what I noticed at MRC, its just too easy with such large class numbers.

Best example I can think of is in my statisitcs class i took a while back. There was 2 asian girls that both seemed kind of fobbish (or at least acted that way), and were allowed to have english/chinese dictionaries every time they wrote a test/quiz. I sat behind them usually and almost always saw that they would hide cuecards with answers written on them in between the pages of the dictionaries. I'm pretty sure you could only get away with this when the class size is large.

is the bissett business school at mrc good? because i am looking into going their for international business.

any good jobs that i will get out of it or should i just stay at u of c and take my international relations major.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    MK7 Oryx White R, 79 Austin Mini Cooper

the bissett business school is great i think. Everyone i talk to at MRC say the profs are really good in terms of help outside of the classroom. I am currently in the accounting degree program at MRC and going for my CA and so far i love it. Im sure it would be the same for international business. if you are already at U of C then stay at U of C. I moved to MRC from U of C and the teaching style is quite different but i was also in the CPSC program at the U. No place is no better or worse its all up to the students opinion. All this MRC and UofC hate is useless. Education is better than no education (in alot of cases). I think its great that MRC is offering more degree status programs.

Les

hopefully it will make the u of c- step up.

still, I'm happier at u of c than I would have been at mount royal methinks.

Originally posted by msommers

Oddly enough, it was from 2 students that go to MRC, sorry for not using a very reliable source. Interesting fact though when reading the herald, about 80% of students at MRC are in a university transfer program.

If not a uni transfer, what programs are they supposed to be in? Of course most people want their degrees is that a good assumption? So whether they decide to not go to a university right away.... or even if students don't meet the qualifications out of high school. As of this moment, MRC does not offer a degree option in most courses.... so I'm missing what your point is…. of course the transfer rate is going to be high. You either stop at a diploma or certificate… or go somewhere that can offer a degree.
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by: shnoobs
    all I know for sure about love is that it's kind of a funny thing
    how often you think about it compared to how often you feel it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by steverules

If not a uni transfer, what programs are they supposed to be in? Of course most people want their degrees is that a good assumption? So whether they decide to not go to a university right away.... or even if students don't meet the qualifications out of high school. As of this moment, MRC does not offer a degree option in most courses.... so I'm missing what your point is…. of course the transfer rate is going to be high. You either stop at a diploma or certificate… or go somewhere that can offer a degree.
    Uh sigh, I thought I was really done with this thread, but I will explain regardless. The vast majority of people participating in this thread, seem to have had the option to go to either MRC or a university in Alberta. And consequently they chose MRC because they feel, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Some did not have this choice. However, if you had the choice to go to either, and yet are going to end up in university anyways, I don't see why people are arguing why university sucks so much. The first 2 years are going to be a lot better than your last 2 years I guess is what they are trying to say? I'm not entirely sure when this application for university status came about for MRC publicly, but I'm sure it wasn't last April when everyone was applying, so someone was expecting to go to MRC, knowing full well they would end up where they hated. This cannot be the case with everyone obviously, but 80% is a big chunk to think about. Or, not everyone hates university as much as they are making it out to be.

Does anyone know where they are sitting right now in terms of status progress? Or does everyone know what is going to happen but just waiting for the official word?

It will be really interesting if they can live up to the promises I've read about
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Mazda RX-7 FC3S

Originally posted by r1_boii
    is the bissett business school at mrc good? because i am looking into going their for international business.

any good jobs that i will get out of it or should i just stay at u of c and take my international relations major.
    I'm in IBUS at UofC. Trust me, it's very difficult to find a job when you're starting out. If you don't have connections, you may want to consider something else.

My Ride
    02 Civic LX

Originally posted by AsianCaucasian

I'm in IBUS at UofC. Trust me, it's very difficult to find a job when you're starting out. If you don't have connections, you may want to consider something else.
    I find most industries are like that, its often who you know more than what you know. Almost all of my last jobs in the last 3 years (degree related or not) I doubt I would have gotten or even heard of if it wasn't for friends of mine.

:p I was really hoping that going to the U of C would be an extension of high school.

The only problem that I see is that Mount Royal will forever be seen as a college. I have an early admission offer to the U of C but if MR is that much better then I would consider going there. I think that it does suck for those people to work their ass off to get into the U of C to get a degree for something, when another person could go to MR and get the same degree. Hopefully MR would raise their entrance averages.

My Ride
    06 civic coupe EX

guys i know this will offend people but it's the honest truth, if YOU have trouble getting into UofC... you're probably not that smart.

I mean seriously, high school was a joke if you dind't want to get into UofT or waterloo or queens... it was cake to obtain an average of around 85% which is more than enough to get into crappy Uni like UofC. As for me, i'm a slacker in HS so i ended up at UofC, more specifically schulich school of geeks.
    You drive a manual, you only steer an automatic!

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

^Not that I'm agreeing withyour first statement but that is largely why the education system needs less funding, yes I said it, less. Lettig every tom, dick and harry intothe U degrades it and makes it the less prestigous institution it has become. Think about it, would you rather an employee from a top notch joint wth average grades or an A student for the U of C. Letting everyone in is not the answer, more U's is not the answer, making people accountalbe for their education is, charge more and people will take it more seriously, subsidize the shit out of ti and everyone will go and just float around.
    Autosignature

Originally posted by sneek
    I think that it does suck for those people to work their ass off to get into the U of C to get a degree for something, when another person could go to MR and get the same degree. Hopefully MR would raise their entrance averages.
    I don't see how it would be the same degree. The name of the institution carries a lot of weight as well. A B.Sc from MtRoyal won't carry the same weight as a B.Sc from the UofC, which won't carry the same weight as a B.Sc from McGill/Queen's/UofT, etc.

So really, just because MRC is becoming MRU doesn't change anything about the UofC's degrees... I don't see how it should even come close to affecting people going to the UofC, but apparantly it has cause all the UofC people in this thread seem to be shitting bricks over it

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast