Canadian Spy Coins... wtf?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Spy Coins... wtf??

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default Canadian Spy Coins... wtf??

Pocketful of espionage: Beware the spy coins
    POSTED: 1422 GMT (2222 HKT), January 11, 2007

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Money talks, but can it also follow your movements?

In a U.S. government warning high on the creepiness scale, the Defense Department cautioned its American contractors over what it described as a new espionage threat: Canadian coins with tiny radio frequency transmitters hidden inside.

The government said the mysterious coins were found planted on U.S. contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors traveled through Canada.

Intelligence and technology experts said such transmitters, if they exist, could be used to surreptitiously track the movements of people carrying the spy coins.

The U.S. report doesn't suggest who might be tracking American defense contractors or why. It also doesn't describe how the Pentagon discovered the ruse, how the transmitters might function or even which Canadian currency contained them.

Further details were secret, according to the U.S. Defense Security Service, which issued the warning to the Pentagon's classified contractors. The government insists the incidents happened, and the risk was genuine.

"What's in the report is true," said Martha Deutscher, a spokeswoman for the security service. "This is indeed a sanitized version, which leaves a lot of questions."

Top suspects, according to outside experts: China, Russia or even France -- all said to actively run espionage operations inside Canada with enough sophistication to produce such technology.

The Canadian Security Intelligence Service said it knew nothing about the coins.

"This issue has just come to our attention," CSIS spokeswoman Barbara Campion said. "At this point, we don't know of any basis for these claims." She said Canada's intelligence service works closely with its U.S. counterparts and will seek more information if necessary.

Experts were astonished about the disclosure and the novel tracking technique, but they rejected suggestions Canada's government might be spying on American contractors. The intelligence services of the two countries are extraordinarily close and routinely share sensitive secrets.

"It would seem unthinkable," said David Harris, former chief of strategic planning for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. "I wouldn't expect to see any offensive operation against the Americans."

Harris said likely candidates include foreign spies who targeted Americans abroad or businesses engaged in corporate espionage. "There are certainly a lot of mysterious aspects to this," Harris said.

Experts said such tiny transmitters would almost certainly have limited range to communicate with sensors no more than a few feet away, such as ones hidden inside a doorway. The metal in the coins also could interfere with any signals emitted.

"I'm not aware of any (transmitter) that would fit inside a coin and broadcast for kilometers," said Katherine Albrecht, an activist who believes such technology carries serious privacy risks. "Whoever did this obviously has access to some pretty advanced technology."

Experts said hiding tracking technology inside coins is fraught with risks because the spy's target might inadvertently give away the coin or spend it buying coffee or a newspaper. They agreed, however, that a coin with a hidden tracking device might not arouse suspicion if it were discovered in a pocket or briefcase.

"It wouldn't seem to be the best place to put something like that; you'd want to put it in something that wouldn't be left behind or spent," said Jeff Richelson, a researcher and author of books about the CIA and its gadgets. "It doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense."

Canada's largest coins include its $2 "Toonie," which is more than 1-inch across and thick enough to hide a tiny transmitter. The CIA has acknowledged its own spies have used hollow, U.S. silver-dollar coins to hide messages and film.

The government's 29-page report was filled with other espionage warnings. It described unrelated hacker attacks, eavesdropping with miniature pen recorders and the case of a female foreign spy who seduced her American boyfriend to steal his computer passwords.

In another case, a film processing company called the FBI after it developed pictures for a contractor that contained classified images of U.S. satellites and their blueprints. The photo was taken from an adjoining office window.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/01/11....ap/index.html

I have a hard time believing that something like this would be government-sanctioned...
    Tim

so was it canadians that put the transmitters in the coins?

My Ride
    2009 Forester

doesn't say. they're suspecting China, Russia, or France.
    Tim

Could it be??? or could it be more US government fear tactics at work?

IMO I am leaning towards the second option.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

hmm more like US Media fear tactics. the story on CBC has the total opposite feel to it

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2.../coin-spy.html
    Tim

My Ride

It's probably just a prank, well not a prank, but mabey some dedicated and enterprising nerds trying to do something like money tracker
    http://www.cdn-money.com/cdnmoney/servlet/cmtMain

(edit: I guess i shouldn't link urls with text, otherwize people wont click them, thinking they'll end up with a cure for male breasts)

with alot of coins, and some inadvertantly wound up with people who may be suspicious and look for things.

They're probalby right though. It's probably just a little RFID designed to track the location of currency when scanned.

Someone was probalby more interested in the coin's movements than the people who were carrying it. I guess we'll wait and see if somone in canada pipes up that they've been sweeping buckets of toonies regularly for an RFID that the installed in some of them.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

hahahaha, i laughed when i read the title....

what a load of crap.

Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC
    hahahaha, i laughed when i read the title....

what a load of crap.
    No kidding.

Everybody knows we hide the transmitters inside toonies.

My Ride
    FG Civic

Um, bs?

Thats fuckin retarded. Thats like saying their are spy cameras in every lightbulb.

My Ride
    2011 Subaru WRX STi Sedan

Thats complete BS... I wanna know what made them decide to check their change to see if there transmitters in them... I'm gonna go check mine and see if China's keeping an eye on me.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Originally posted by Loud-N-Clear
    I'm gonna go check mine and see if China's keeping an eye on me.
    Only Toonies produced in the year 2000 with 2 polar bear cubs are the ones effected, just pop out the center an your fine....

Originally posted by A3GTiVR6SC

Only Toonies produced in the year 2000 with 2 polar bear cubs are the ones effected, just pop out the center an your fine....
    Burn all your paper money as well just to be safe, its for the good of the country!

Originally posted by doublet
    Could it be??? or could it be more US government fear tactics at work?

IMO I am leaning towards the second option.
    Maybe it's just the US spying on their own people (Didn't Mr. Bush say they do that? Also the lack of communication/intelligent between departments)... But does this mean someone is counterfeiting our coins?

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Bump.

Remember this? Here's what the fuss was all about. American paranoia strikes again. A word of advice to the US: don't eat Tim Horton's boston cream donuts. They're filled with highly explosive compounds

http://www.local6.com/money/13267475/detail.html

Mystery Solved: Poppy Coin Prompts Spy Warnings
    Coins Commemorate Canada's War Dead

POSTED: 7:46 am EDT May 7, 2007

WASHINGTON -- An odd-looking Canadian coin with a bright red flower was the culprit behind the U.S. Defense Department's false espionage warning earlier this year, The Associated Press has learned.

The odd-looking -- but harmless -- "poppy coin" was so unfamiliar to suspicious U.S. Army contractors traveling in Canada that they filed confidential espionage accounts about them. The worried contractors described the coins as "anomalous" and "filled with something man-made that looked like nano-technology," according to once-classified U.S. government reports and e-mails obtained by the AP.

The silver-colored 25-cent piece features the red image of a poppy -- Canada's flower of remembrance - inlaid over a maple leaf. The unorthodox quarter is identical to the coins pictured and described as suspicious in the contractors' accounts.

The supposed nano-technology actually was a conventional protective coating the Royal Canadian Mint applied to prevent the poppy's red color from rubbing off. The mint produced nearly 30 million such quarters in 2004 commemorating Canada's 117,000 war dead.

"It did not appear to be electronic (analog) in nature or have a power source," wrote one U.S. contractor, who discovered the coin in the cup holder of a rental car. "Under high power microscope, it appeared to be complex consisting of several layers of clear, but different material, with a wire like mesh suspended on top."

The confidential accounts led to a sensational warning from the Defense Security Service, an agency of the Defense Department, that mysterious coins with radio frequency transmitters were found planted on U.S. contractors with classified security clearances on at least three separate occasions between October 2005 and January 2006 as the contractors traveled through Canada.

One contractor believed someone had placed two of the quarters in an outer coat pocket after the contractor had emptied the pocket hours earlier. "Coat pockets were empty that morning and I was keeping all of my coins in a plastic bag in my inner coat pocket," the contractor wrote.

But the Defense Department subsequently acknowledged that it could never substantiate the espionage alarm that it had put out and launched the internal review that turned up the true nature of the mysterious coin.

Meanwhile, in Canada, senior intelligence officials expressed annoyance with the American spy-coin warnings as they tried to learn more about the oddball claims.

"That story about Canadians planting coins in the pockets of defense contractors will not go away," Luc Portelance, now deputy director for the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, wrote in a January e-mail to a subordinate. "Could someone tell me more? Where do we stand and what's the story on this?"

Others in Canada's spy service also were searching for answers. "We would be very interested in any more detail you may have on the validity of the comment related to the use of Canadian coins in this manner," another intelligence official wrote in an e-mail. "If it is accurate, are they talking industrial or state espionage? If the latter, who?" The identity of the e-mail's recipient was censored.

Intelligence and technology experts were flabbergasted over the warning when it was first publicized earlier this year. The warning suggested that such transmitters could be used surreptitiously to track the movements of people carrying the coins.

"I thought the whole thing was preposterous, to think you could tag an individual with a coin and think they wouldn't give it away or spend it," said H. Keith Melton, a leading intelligence historian.

But Melton said the Army contractors properly reported their suspicions. "You want contractors or any government personnel to report anything suspicious," he said. "You can't have the potential target evaluating whether this was an organized attack or a fluke."

The Defense Security Service disavowed its warning about spy coins after an international furor, but until now it has never disclosed the details behind the embarrassing episode. The U.S. said it never substantiated the contractors' claims and performed an internal review to determine how the false information was included in a 29-page published report about espionage concerns.

The Defense Security Service never examined the suspicious coins, spokeswoman Cindy McGovern said. "We know where we made the mistake," she said. "The information wasn't properly vetted. While these coins aroused suspicion, there ultimately was nothing there."

A numismatist consulted by the AP, Dennis Pike of Canadian Coin & Currency near Toronto, quickly matched a grainy image and physical descriptions of the suspect coins in the contractors' confidential accounts to the 25-cent poppy piece.

"It's not uncommon at all," Pike said. He added that the coin's protective coating glows peculiarly under ultraviolet light. "That may have been a little bit suspicious," he said.

Some of the U.S. documents the AP obtained were classified "Secret/Noforn," meaning they were never supposed to be viewed by foreigners, even America's closest allies. The government censored parts of the files, citing national security reasons, before turning over copies under the U.S. Freedom of Information Act.

Nothing in the documents -- except the reference to nanotechnology -- explained how the contractors' accounts evolved into a full-blown warning about spy coins with radio frequency transmitters. Many passages were censored, including the names of contractors and details about where they worked and their projects.

But there were indications the accounts should have been taken lightly. Next to one blacked-out sentence was this warning: "This has not been confirmed as of yet."

The Canadian intelligence documents, which also were censored, were turned over to the AP for $5 under that country's Access to Information Act. Canada cited rules for protecting against subversive or hostile activities to explain why it censored the papers.

i would actually have a bigger problem with my friends, gf, or mom knowing where i was than the cops or the government

Didn't want to start a new thread, but Canada is introducing a glow in the dark quarter. Wonder how the US will react this time.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...141/story.html
    ---

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by kenny
    Didn't want to start a new thread, but Canada is introducing a glow in the dark quarter. Wonder how the US will react this time.

Glow in the dark loonies would be WAY more fun... (at the strippers)

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I don't think the coin is meant for general circulation though is it? I thought I heard on the news that it's going to be a limited edition collector coin (quarter) that costs $30 to buy.

Three more dinosaur coins will follow, in a series called Prehistoric Creatures. They will sell for $29.95 each and be available at most Canada Post outlets.
    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/04...erta-dinosaur/

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Shh.... Its all part of Rob Anders master plan to pre-emptively invade the US with radio controlled zombie beavers.

They home-in on the signal the coins put off, and then they chomp your legs off.

Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Just don't carry any on board a flight over the US. They'll arrest you for having bomb making materials. lol (radioactive isotopes)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast