Quantcast
hemi in an explorer? help! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: hemi in an explorer? help!

My Ride
    89 Prelude

Default hemi in an explorer? help!

I'm lookin to put a new engine in my explorer, but I want something with more power. Would a hemi fit? (even if some fabrication has to be done) Any suggestions as to an engine that gets more than 9MPG and has oodles of power and acceleration? I'm wondering if a v8 would fit in place of my v6 currently installed. If not then any v6's with decent gas milage (>18+ mpg) and power will do. My engines got 381k on it and its probably getting ready to go, it's got a new transmission (which happened to die 10km after the warranty [375010km]). The body and chassis are in near perfect condition, so I dont want to get rid of this if I dont have to.

Thx for all future input!

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

well firstly you will probably need a new transmission if you want a new engine.. transmissions and random engines dont usually fit together.

a Hemi may fit, you WILL need lots of fabrication though, first find a donor hemi and transmission and take measurements, then you will know what you will have to do. It may be cheaper to drop an LS1 in there (corvette motor, gets dropped into anything that can be made movable)

Marko
    240 ka-t

I believe that your generation of explorer actually came stock with a V8 as an option from the factory - a variation on the 4.9L V8 used in the Mustang. That would be the easiest to get in as you might be able to accomplish the swap with maybe only a V8 crossmember and possibly a new transmission.

that engine wasn't overly powerful, but has oodles of performance upgrades available. They can be gotten relatively inexpensively as well.

IIRC it was a bit of a tight fit so they used the shorter more compact fuel inhjection/intake system from the V8 Thunderbird to let in fit without having to construct a new hood.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

A couple other things:

wiring harnesses may cause more grief than worth in trying to fit another maker's engine

and;

The early Explorers were not reknowned for their braking power. If you are going to add a lot of power, you really need to think about adding more stopping ability as well.
    Originally posted by 01RedDX

Eye for an eye should apply to both, like if you raped a cat, you would get raped by a bigger cat. Counselling doesn't work on animal rapists you clown.

junk it and buy a different one would be the best and most cost effective advice of all

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

You want something that is a V6 of V8 with tons of power AND more than 18mpg.
    GL with that.

Probably cheaper to buy a used Hemi Durango.

Default Re: hemi in an explorer? help!

Originally posted by jhill287

Thx for all future input!

You ain't gonna thank me for this ....

It'd be like putting lipstick on a pig .

You'd have to fab almost the whole rest of the drivetrain , not to mention if you are trying to keep the old tranny you'll have to fab your own bellhousing . Also , you'll have to upgrade the 4x4 system ( transfer case ) cause the stock one wouldn't be able to handle the additional horsepower/torque . But this isn't nearly the task as trying to mate the electronics of the Chrysler motor and Ford everything else . What you are thinking would be a one-off build = VERY EXPENSIVE and would take you a very long time , not to mention the future headaches when you think you finally have everything done and go for a road test and mash the throttle at a light beside your buddy only for it to grenade the rear diff .

Anyway , you want more power and better milage , like the link above suggests , sell your explorer and buy a used Durango or something .

I have a mazda b2600 4x4...i want more power. I have a 1990 crown victoria sitting in the backyard 5.0 that they say it will bolt on with special engine mounts...but transmission is where the problem starts.
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

I drive the same vehicle and I personally wouldn't dream of putting money into modifying it ever, if you have money for engine modifications and the like, just buy a different vehicle