Quantcast
kitchen knives - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: kitchen knives

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Default kitchen knives

It's been decided that we need a 'real' set of kitchen knives.

The big decision right now is whether we go eastern/japanese style or western style.

I think i'd rather invest the money in a chef knife, paring knife, and a honing rod rather than buying one of those 20 piece sets. I saw some wicked looking japanese knives from Calphalon, but I have absolutely no experience in using them. Do they really require that much more maintenance compared to western knives?
    Tim

We rently bought a set of Wusthoffs and couldn't be happier.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Yes, high carbon steel knives need to be oiled regulary or they will rust. Rust can taint your food and well make the knife look like shit.

For a home owner, a good stainless steel knife is a much better choice.

I own a set of Wusthof knives and trust me, they are deadly sharp.

The best thing to do when shopping for a good set of knives is to hold them in your hand and find something that feels good to you. Something that feels balanced and comfortable.

I have 12 knives in my set so far. My favorite knife being the Santoku knife.

My knife set.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I just bought the Calphalons you are talking about. At first, I bought the Calphalon Comtemporary set but then exchanged them for the "Katana" set which are the Japanese ones you are talking about.

They were $400 at Home OUtfitters but wait for the 20% off coupon in the flyer.

They seem to work well....but I'm not a professional chef so I can't give you any comparative reviews.

James

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by 89coupe

The best thing to do when shopping for a good set of knives is to hold them in your hand and find something that feels good to you. Something that feels balanced and comfortable.

Wow you've certainly learned alot from back then.... good job Luke Skywalker

Assuming your a noobie into the kitchen world, a set of JA Henkels will do you fine, not too pricy and good quality worksmanship and will last you awhile and super sharp , you dont need those other fancy Wusthoffs, Globals, yada yada as you have no experience with them and would be just a waste..althought they'll look nice on the kitchen counter
    Last edited by dj_rice; 01-14-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

Originally posted by Pacman
    I just bought the Calphalons you are talking about. At first, I bought the Calphalon Comtemporary set but then exchanged them for the "Katana" set which are the Japanese ones you are talking about.

They were $400 at Home OUtfitters but wait for the 20% off coupon in the flyer.

They seem to work well....but I'm not a professional chef so I can't give you any comparative reviews.

James
    those were the ones that I saw, but they didn't have a price on it.

How do you find them? I'd like to get some japanese style knives, but I'm a bit worried about the upkeep and maintenance... I have no problem using a honing rod before each use, but what about sharpening or using a whet stone?

I have a decent sharpener already, but I think it would ruin a japanese style blade because of the different angle of the edge.
    Tim

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

First, buying "knife sets" is a COMPLETE WASTE of money... so whatever you do dont go down that path!

Second, japanese knifes require FAR MORE attention and maintence so I would recommend you stay clear of carbon steel knives until you become more adept in the kitchen.

89coupes knife collection looks good and Wusthof is a great company.

I also agree with dj_rice in that JA Henckells will give you a solid knife for much less than most other knife brands. Global, Kycero, Wusthof are pretty pricey and unless you are a serious cook I would suggest you spend the extra miney else where.

As you have already stated you have chosen a few knifes that you want to start with and later can always increase your collection. JA will fit your needs and they can be had for a very resonable price at The Bay, Home Outfiters, Home Sense, etc.

Personally I'm a HUGE Wusthof fan and my knives from that brand consist of only the Grand Prix II and Culinar series because of the weight and feel in my hand. I also own Masahiro japanese knives which I use for sushi and the like. I also own a ceramic knife and that does the job pretty good but it's fragile so that sucks.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

Originally posted by TimG

How do you find them? I'd like to get some japanese style knives, but I'm a bit worried about the upkeep and maintenance... I have no problem using a honing rod before each use, but what about sharpening or using a whet stone?

I have a decent sharpener already, but I think it would ruin a japanese style blade because of the different angle of the edge.
    I sharpen my Jap knives with a wet stone. I find this the best way to keep the right handed edge. Also, IMHO I dont think Jap knives would be the best bet for everyday cooking. I only own 2 carbon steel knives and they are reserved for Jap style preparations that require such a knife

My Ride
    04' S1 SRT-4

CUTCO!

My Ride
    PL24T

Originally posted by jf97talon
    CUTCO!

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by dj_rice

Assuming your a noobie into the kitchen world, a set of JA Henkels will do you fine, not too pricy and good quality worksmanship and will last you awhile and super sharp , you dont need those other fancy Wusthoffs, Globals, yada yada as you have no experience with them and would be just a waste..althought they'll look nice on the kitchen counter

Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
    I also agree with dj_rice in that JA Henckells will give you a solid knife for much less than most other knife brands. Global, Kycero, Wusthof are pretty pricey and unless you are a serious cook I would suggest you spend the extra miney else where.

As you have already stated you have chosen a few knifes that you want to start with and later can always increase your collection. JA will fit your needs and they can be had for a very resonable price at The Bay, Home Outfiters, Home Sense, etc.

Personally I'm a HUGE Wusthof fan and my knives from that brand consist of only the Grand Prix II and Culinar series because of the weight and feel in my hand. I also own Masahiro japanese knives which I use for sushi and the like. I also own a ceramic knife and that does the job pretty good but it's fragile so that sucks.

Keep in mind that if you do go the Henckels route, there are different grades ranging from the "Value Brand" (logo has one man) to the "Premium" (logo has two men), to the Professional S series. Try and stay away from the value brand, as they are of lesser quality, and generally made in mexico or china.

If you're looking for a deal, check out Homesense. I bought a Henckels Professional S chef knife (with a minor cosmetic defect) for $25... comparably $200 at the Bay. I think they also occasionally have Wusthof, but I don't know which line.

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Originally posted by TimG

I was also concerned with the blades rusting and having to maintain them.

Since they have a lifetime warranty, I have really tried to abuse them a bit to see if I could get them to rust. I've left them wet, in the sink for a full day and there have been no problems at all.

I'm sure the really really expsensive knives have lots of carbon steel in them....but these seem more like a mid range set, so they probably just like the other ones out there.

If you don't end up buying these Katana Calphalons....try their "Contemporary" set. They are $229 and are really good quality as well. The only reason we bought the expensive ones was because we had a gift certificate for Home Outfitters and decided to splurge on the more expensive set as there was nothing else we really wanted from there.

James

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

I was also concerned with the blades rusting and having to maintain them.

Since they have a lifetime warranty, I have really tried to abuse them a bit to see if I could get them to rust. I've left them wet, in the sink for a full day and there have been no problems at all.

I'm sure the really really expsensive knives have lots of carbon steel in them....but these seem more like a mid range set, so they probably just like the other ones out there.

If you don't end up buying these Katana Calphalons....try their "Contemporary" set. They are $229 and are really good quality as well. The only reason we bought the expensive ones was because we had a gift certificate for Home Outfitters and decided to splurge on the more expensive set as there was nothing else we really wanted from there.

James
    hmmm... are you guys taking about REAL Jap knives made out of carbon steel or about the style of knife blade (ie. Santoku?) If its the latter than it is not made out of carbon steel.. which is why there is no tranishing and rust!

the santoku blade has pretty much taken over the old chefs knife... i perfer the santoku but many still use and prefer the traditional chef knife!

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

hmmm... are you guys taking about REAL Jap knives made out of carbon steel or about the style of knife blade (ie. Santoku?) If its the latter than it is not made out of carbon steel.. which is why there is no tranishing and rust!

the santoku blade has pretty much taken over the old chefs knife... i perfer the santoku but many still use and prefer the traditional chef knife!
    I'm talking about this specific ones. Japanese style. They blades look kinda cool as they have a neat pattern on the blade. I think it's called a damascus style as they blades are folded metal....but that's only what friends have told me so I'm not 100% sure on that.

http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/c...Id=CLCat100469

James

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

I'm talking about this specific ones. Japanese style. They blades look kinda cool as they have a neat pattern on the blade. I think it's called a damascus style as they blades are folded metal....but that's only what friends have told me so I'm not 100% sure on that.

http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/c...Id=CLCat100469

James
    ah yes, those are not made out of carbon steel so they are not real japanese knives! thus they will not rust and do not require the TLC that carbon steel knives need.

the knife you are referring to is called a santoku knife which is the japanese equivalent to our north american chef's knife. the detail on the side of the knife is called a graton edge which helps with friction and provides a cleaner more effecient cut!

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

ah yes, those are not made out of carbon steel so they are not real japanese knives! thus they will not rust and do not require the TLC that carbon steel knives need.

the knife you are referring to is called a santoku knife which is the japanese equivalent to our north american chef's knife. the detail on the side of the knife is called a graton edge which helps with friction and provides a cleaner more effecient cut!
    So is the only difference between real Japanese knives and these Calphalon ones the carbon steel content?

These ones claim to be made from VG-1 Japanese steel....I have no idea what that means but read on a few websites that the steel was supposed to be quite strong.

I can confirm that they don't rust........

My Ride
    2017 Q7, 2013 328 xDrive

We got a Kyrocera Ceramic Chef's Knife from Holt Renfrew.

That thing is damn sexy and sharp as hell.

My Ride
    B6 A4 3.0Q

So is the only difference between real Japanese knives and these Calphalon ones the carbon steel content?

These ones claim to be made from VG-1 Japanese steel....I have no idea what that means but read on a few websites that the steel was supposed to be quite strong.

I can confirm that they don't rust........
    Yes I read that also on their website and it says that 16 layers are of carbon steel or whatnot and I assuming that the exterior layers are stainless steel... i doubt they are lying but they are definatley not 100% carbon steel like my sushi knives...

great company though and look like a great set of knives! I have never used or heard that Caphalon made knives but I can only assume that they are in the same bracket as better JAH knives?!

Originally posted by CaptainReboot
    We got a Kyrocera Ceramic Chef's Knife from Holt Renfrew.

That thing is damn sexy and sharp as hell.
    I have one of these also but the fragility of these knives should be more than enough reason to stay away from them if you don't have any other metal knives. IMHO ceramic knives are great for everyday but with an unexperienced chef/home cook they can easily break and thus would be money down the drain. I would suggest buying some high quality stainless knives then investing in a ceramic knife or two for the look, sharpness and use it for carving a roast chicken or roast beef table side until you become more adept in the kitchen! Although, my ceramic is one of my favorite knives in my collection

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

whats wrong with Cutco?

I got a few cutco knifes and once my parents used them they haven't used any other knives in the house

My Ride
    M5 Competition

LOL, he was talking about the construction of the blade

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast