Quantcast
Anyone own a rabbit? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone own a rabbit?

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Default Anyone own a rabbit?

Just wondering is anyone here owns a pet rabbit? I just got one a couple days ago and shes about 4 months old.

Any tips to make her less shy? or tips in general?

My Ride
    Blazaah

I have one, but when I got him he was already super friendly...still is.

I have had rabbits all my life and with shy bunnys you just have to be patient...take her out of her cage and put her in a bunny proof space and just sit down or lay down and wait. Bunnys are naturally very curious she will eventually come over. Do this often....and eventually work up to petting her if shes really shy she probably runs away when you reach out right.

Try to not pick her up alot, they dont like to be held ( most...mine likes to cuddle ) they feel safe when there on the groud there has to be alot of trust before she will be ok with it.

All my bunnys but 2, were really shy and they came out of it...it just takes alot of time.

What ever you do though..dont try and grab the bunny from behind, they will get scared and run off. Let her come to you!

before you know it she'll be a lap bunny and playing with you!

What kind of bunny is she?

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Shawtie: She is really shy, but I can pet her now for a minute or so. If I try to pick her up she runs away.

She is a holland lop. Any idea of when to get her sexed and spayed/neutered?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have three rabbits. At first they are shy, but the more and more time you spend with them the better they get. The one rabbit I have follows me around constantly, sometimes to the point it's annoying because he thinks I'm his mother!

We have two living with us (bf and i) at the moment, they are best friends. The younger one really only stays by the other rabbit, but she's getting better. The older one comes up every once in awhile...usually for treats.

Lops are more aggressive than rex rabbits (the ones we have) but with time and patience she/he should come around. You should be able to figure out their sex within 4-6 mos. If he's a boy...you'll know! hahaha! If she is a girl, you should probably look into spaying her 7-8mos? Its really important that you do b/c it decreases her risk of ovarian cancer. With boys, if they are not neutered, they will become territorial and spray (it isn't pretty).

Cute bunny!
    Last edited by RSeXy; 01-16-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Originally posted by ashee
    What's 30 grand when you're buying a BMW, M6 please.

Originally posted by t-im

You sound like the type of guy who would buy a C-Class just so you could tell people you have a Benz.
    Oooh the irony.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

its hard not to just grab her and pick her up but she frickin hates it!

good advice though, I let her out in an area daily and she usually comes up to me and sniffs...

My Ride
    Blazaah

OMG shes adorable!!!! I have a sable point holland and a torti english angora when hes ready to come home.

You should definatly be able to sex her now, probably not something you wanna try with her right now, seeing how shes super shy. You would have to flip her over in your lap and take a look see and im guess she wont want to do that so what I think would be your best bet is take her in to the vet get her nails done ( costs $10) and get them to sex her for you that way theres 2 people to do it, they also take a quick look at your bunny to make sure things seem alright with teeth and so on. 6 months for spay/neuter.

Ya, your just going to have to work with her ALOT!! get some treats, alfalfa ( my bunny is nuts over the stuff ), toys and just spend some time with her...she WILL come around. Hopfully you can do this instead of giving her up like most people do when they get tired of waiting.

My Ride
    GT TDi

my german shepherd pwn3d a few rabbits. ohhhhhh oops, sorry, not that kind of ownage. ahah
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    rental

Originally posted by idriveabox
    Shawtie: She is really shy, but I can pet her now for a minute or so. If I try to pick her up she runs away.

She is a holland lop. Any idea of when to get her sexed and spayed/neutered?
    That is so freakin' cute. Looks like one of those stuffed animals.

My Ride
    NC1

Watch out for your shoes and any electrical wires laying around! Rabiits like to chew those things! I've had to replace a lot of stuff b/c of them!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Acura Integra

Originally posted by bart
    my german shepherd pwn3d a few rabbits. ohhhhhh oops, sorry, not that kind of ownage. ahah
    My GSR owned a late 80's rabbit...

On topic, cute rabbit. With the ears drooped it does look shy.

My Ride
    B8 A4/MKV GTI

no such thing as a late 80's rabbit. 84 was the last year for them.

My Ride
    Acura Integra

I fail at jokes.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Originally posted by max_boost
    Watch out for your shoes and any electrical wires laying around! Rabiits like to chew those things! I've had to replace a lot of stuff b/c of them!
    Yes, be especially careful of wires. Instead of walking around them, rabbits will just chew right through any wires that are in their path! You'll be surprised at how many things you'll end up replacing because you can't just buy a "spare" wire.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Does your rabbit poop everywhere or stink up your place? my gf's dad found an injured baby wild rabbit a few months ago, they nursed it back to health and it was really friendly. but then it started pooping everywhere, in the cage, carpet, etc... and it usually stank pretty bad.

they finally let it back into the wild after a few weeks, and i still find pieces of rabbit poo lying under the couch or in the corners of her house

My Ride
    2000 Toyota Celica GT

Train your bunny to use Kitty Litter!

My Ride
    E90 335i

what en emo bunny.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

When we first got her:

Out for a walk:

FIGHT:

Easter Bunny:

She's a dwarf/lop cross, and she was really aggressive until we had her fixed at about 1 year. Find a vet that specializes in exotic animals, most dog/cat vets don't touch birds/rabbits/ferrets, etc.

I also found she stopped marking the carpet. I keep her confined to the living room when we are home with a baby gate, and caged when not home. Raise or hide the cables and wires. My only casualty was a speaker wire.

She also hated to be picked up, but you have to get her used to it in order to do her nails. She's much better now that she's 2 years old, and fixed.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

yeah i used to have a rabbit. dont leave them outside in the sun or you'll regret it.

rabbits usually train themselves. When they take craps and piss they usually have a corner where they piss and poo and will always piss and poo in that same spot. like mentioned earlier using kitty litter will help with the smell and cleaning. keep it somewhere in the cage where the rabbit usually craps then in time u can remove the cage all together in exception to the litter pen. My rabbit was like a cat it didnt need a cage it always did its business in the litter. The only problem with this idea is that it tends to chew things like power cables and speaker cables. Saying all this i kinda hate the idea of keeping a rabbit as a pet though I think they are really cool. rabbits belong outside to be with other rabbits keeping it in a cage is kinda cruel.