Quantcast
New Cellphones to be crippled by Digital Rights Management? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New Cellphones to be crippled by Digital Rights Management?

My Ride
    Q5 + D675

Default New Cellphones to be crippled by Digital Rights Management?

So I got a new phone recently under a Rogers plan and the other day I was transferring a few .mp3 ringtones over from my old phone. I got a couple in and started to try setting them as call ringtones, long story short, I couldn't. So I did some surfing and found some discussions on newer cellphone models and 'unprotected content' being crippled with Digital Rights Management(DRM). For example, my phone not being able to play an .mp3, as a ringtone, that hasn't been DRM'd. Mind you, I am able to play mp3's, wav's, aac's, etc. with the media player on my phone. It's just that they disabled my ability to set my music as ringtones. The telecom companies are claiming that these new restrictions are in the name on "security." With the DRM on our phones, were only allowed to use media downloaded from the service provider or whoever the SP shares the DRM with. So much for consumer choice.

Anyone else hear about anything like this?

My Ride
    Q5 + D675

Here's an article to elaborate:
    found it at
    http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2005_09.php

Trusted Computing Group Helps Lock Down Mobile Phones

EFF Criticizes Plan for Restrictive New Cell Technology

San Francisco - The Trusted Computing Group (TCG), an industry consortium developing controversial computer security specifications, has released a wish list of applications of TCG technology to cell phone security. Unfortunately, much of this "security" aims to help cell phone carriers cement their control over their customers.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) attended TCG's announcement in San Francisco on Tuesday and criticized the proposals as steps in the wrong direction for the future of mobile communications.

"TCG is proudly offering to help cell phone carriers lock down your phone," said EFF Staff Technologist Seth Schoen. "The proposals described today aim to help your cell phone company decide who can publish software or media for your phone, whether you can load your own documents, and even whether you can switch carriers or resell your phone. These are not innovations that consumers will applaud."

TCG announced a set of eleven "use cases" that its members will discuss how to support with TCG technologies in cell phones. Among other applications, TCG suggested:

* "Device integrity" and "SIMlock/device personalization," which would prevent you from switching mobile carriers or reselling or donating your phone to someone else.

* "Platform integrity" and "software use" controls, which would let your cell phone company, not you, decide what software is allowed to run on your phone.

* "Digital rights management support" helps publishers, not you, control how you can use media on your cell phone.

TCG says these new "features" are all in the name of "security" - whether they are protecting against viruses or ensuring that users can't take their phones with them when they change carriers and can't use third-party applications that aren't provided by their carriers. But this security is not necessarily for consumers' benefit. In many cases, TCG's proposals offer "security" only against you, not for you, and the legitimate security benefits could be achieved without also locking down consumer choice. You won't see such consumer benefits as being able to change cell phone carriers easily or freely use the digital media you have purchased.

TCG's proposals for cell phones contrast with its work on security chips for personal computers. In the PC environment, TCG has taken pains to say that its technology is not specifically aimed at restricting users. But TCG is now explicitly offering to help restrict users.

"The cell phone industry hasn't yet realized that cell phones are little computers, and that users expect the same amount of choice about how to use their phones as they enjoy with their PCs and PDAs," Schoen added. "We should be working to make cell phones more like PCs rather than making PCs more like restricted cell phones. But today TCG has demonstrated its eagerness to assist carriers who wish to force more restrictions on consumers, rather than offer them more control and flexibility."

For TCG's announcements at the CTIA Wireless IT & Entertainment conference: https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/groups/mobile

For more on trusted computing on the PC: http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing

My Ride
    Sentra

well that sucks

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

It could be that you just got a crappy phone that doesn't support mp3 ringtones?

My Ride
    00 Honda CR-V, 02 IS300

Read my post in this thread (6th one down)... hope it helps a bit...

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.p...hreadid=160392

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by eblend
    It could be that you just got a crappy phone that doesn't support mp3 ringtones?
    No, I can confirm that some phones (including my Telus RAZR) needs a hack to use your own MP3's as ringtones. You can download mp3 ring tones from the provider (for a fee) but you can't upload and use your own.

Not really a DRM issue, more of a revenue protection model.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

You can usually get around this by just flashing your phone and by loading new firmware

My Ride
    335i

Either reflash your telephones (somewhat risky if you make a mistake) or purchase an unbranded and unlocked one from a store like myworldphone.com or ebay. These do not come with any company influences and should be okay to use.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

yeah companies block out content, thats why unbranded is the best.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

a lot of phones are like that nowadays. just go to howardforums.com and they probably have a guide on how to hack your phone

My Ride
    Q5 + D675

apparently the new RIZR has these presets too.

My Ride
    ST184

I actually work for rogers :P What phone did you get? Sorry if you mentioned i failed to see. Im guessing its a sony tho.

My Ride
    Q5 + D675

Actually, I got the samsung sync.

I tried that DRM packager thing civicdxr mentioned, but it didnt work cause my phone doesnt support .DM files This is getting to be such a pain... I just want to hear a little part of the lambda lambda lambda rap from revenge of the nerds when I get calls... is that so much to ask?!?!?!

My Ride
    111R, FL5, DC2R, E61,W201, E36, GSW

Originally posted by haunt
    Actually, I got the samsung sync.

I tried that DRM packager thing civicdxr mentioned, but it didnt work cause my phone doesnt support .DM files This is getting to be such a pain... I just want to hear a little part of the lambda lambda lambda rap from revenge of the nerds when I get calls... is that so much to ask?!?!?!
    as far as i know the DRM packager is only good for Sony Ericssons...

My Ride
    90Laser/eclipse

i cant do it on my 6265i threw telus either.
    ive been looking around for a hack but cant find one

oh no... to have to use a phone as just a phone....

I'm just not one of the cool kids...
    slower than you...