Quantcast
Ported box tube question - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ported box tube question

Default Ported box tube question

I have 2 Alpine Type S -12's in a ported box and when I was removing it from the trunk, I used the port as a 'handle' (bad idea) and the immense weight of it caused the port and connecting tube to snap off 100%.

So now I have a box with a hole, without the tube inside. What does this tube do and will it affect the sound/operation of the subs?

Thank you for any replies.
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    E90 335i

Default Re: Ported box tube question

Originally posted by mwmhong
    I have 2 Alpine Type S -12's in a ported box and when I was removing it from the trunk, I used the port as a 'handle' (bad idea) and the immense weight of it caused the port and connecting tube to snap off 100%.

So now I have a box with a hole, without the tube inside. What does this tube do and will it affect the sound/operation of the subs?

Thank you for any replies.
    I'm not sure of the exact science behind it but in my experience, my box with just a hole sounded pretty sloppy, with a tube (I'm no professional so it was just a DIY tube job), it sounded a lot cleaner and the bass was tighter. Whether that is what's supposed to happen or not?? But it worked for me.
    George likes his Kung Pao spicy!

uhm the tube is the port itself
    without it you just have a box with a hole in it, so yeah, it's a pretty major part of a ported box

the width and legth of the tube determines what frequency the box is ported to.

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#por

Thanks alot guys, I'll have to get it fixed.
    "All these years I thought it was power that brought responsibility. It's not. I was wrong. It's responsibility that brings power. It's knowing what needs to be done that brings strength. And courage." - Peter Parker, Earth X

My Ride
    1998 Neon MTX Sedan

A properly built box (right size, and dimensions) with a properly tuned port is the best sounding configuration to me. You get the punchiness of a bandpass and the quality of a sealed/isobaric without a lot of the downsides.

You may also want to contact Alpine and ask them what they recommend for box design for those speakers. See if what you have is inline with their designs.

A bunch of years ago I had a JL 10W6 in a box with a port that was a little too narrow and a little too shallow and it sounded like a hippo farting. A quick change to the port and it was amazing!