Quantcast
Planning on purchasing 8 Series, need feedback. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Planning on purchasing 8 Series, need feedback.

Originally posted by ninjak84
    As usual.... Lots of bullshit opinions up for grabs, and no concrete info.

I was looking at these too. They're incredibly affordable at purchase ($10-15k), but I know the gas and maintenance won't be as cheap. Especially if I decide to modify.... These are expensive cars, but I can't gauge if one is worth it or not....

It would be nice to have personal experiences posted.
    People who have owned one, driven one, worked on one.... whatever.
    Amen to that, gas and service shouldnt' be insanely bad if your only going to drive it for a couple of warm months, shouldnt compare to bad to corvettes for gas and service. And 7 series parts could be used if you have defective parts.

Need personal experiences from people who have owned one, driven one, worked on one, or know of someone having one.

Originally posted by smontyLS1
    a guy I work with has worked at bmw and lonestar mercedes working on benz, lotus, aston martin and bentleys. I trust his opinion when he says the engines are very weak. but they look great for sure and saying you have a v-12 is awesome. it is your call.
    Not getting it for racing, thats why im buying an auto, if I wanted a racer I would buy an S2000. I want one for the rarity, the looks, and the luxury, and also because its known as a classic.

My Ride
    E36 M3

I'd wager the 3 series is pretty much the best example of BMW... a reliable, fun, sporty car... How is that not BMW... If anything the 8 series is the worst representation for BMW because of its underwhelming power and reliability track record. BMW looks upon the 8 series as one of its 2 great failures (not BMW owners, BMW themselves). You can read about it in the book "The Complete Book Of Bmw: Every Model In The World Since 1962."

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

since you want to get the car to drive on weekends an not to bag the shit out of, you have nothing to worry about, its a bullet-proof engine. common problems with the e31 are fuel system, hydraulics an electronic problems.

if you got the $$ for the labour, then go for it.

(btw: my last car was a bimmer)

try bimmerforums.com, I think they have a few guys with 8's

My Ride

Originally posted by brownchild
    Anddddddddddddddddddddddd only thing BMW about a 3 series is the emblem.
    TIm not trying to start a war, which always seems to be the reaction from Beyond members these days. Im just tryin to get helpful feedback. Thx.

P.S.

Sorry for offending all the 3 series owners, just heard that joke from somebody, thought it was kinda funny.

Buddy you drive a DSM dont talk about reliability
    and you want help from these people?
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    cd7 coupe

dont waste ur time buy an M5

My Ride
    2011 335xi

Originally posted by cocoabrova
    I've been seriously considering buying an imported one also, but everytime I mention the thought of it to one of my homies (who's a tech @ a BMW stealership in town) he says he's going to slit his wrists if I actually go through with it
    I will slit my wrists don't make me do it

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Originally posted by 3G
    dont waste ur time buy an M5

E34 M5 isnt there a really clean one for sale on beyond?

My Ride
    Honda

So I read maxboost_R's post and decided to do look around for myself.
    Looks like they're pretty problematic... I have a hard time understanding why though, since 80's 5 & 7 series BMW's are built incredibly well. I'm sure a BMW elitist will reply to tell us all why the 8 series is such a mysterious lemon...

1991-1997 BMW 8-Series: Reliability
    Trouble Spots
    Consumer Guide'sŪ Auto Editors have scoured repair bulletins and questioned mechanics to search for commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however, we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Air conditioner: The air conditioner compressor will shut down if the belt slips, which can occur after driving through a puddle and can be fixed by bypassing the A/C lock sensor control module. (1990-92)

Dashboard lights: Several problems with the hazard warning lights and turn signals activating by themselves, not blinking, etc. have been traced to problems with the flasher relay or the crash-sensor control module. (1992-95)

Poor transmission shift: The synchronizers in six-speed manual transmission get damaged if anything other than Dexron II automatic transmission fluid is used, causing notchy shifting. (1990-97)

Rough idle: Engine idles rough due to knock sensor picking up noise from water pump chatter when transmission is in drive and the air conditioning is on. (1997)

Rough idle: Engine may idle too high or run poorly (accompanied by a check engine light) due to vacuum leaks in the manifold gasket and/or leaking vacuum plugs on the fuel pressure regulator. (1997)
    NHTSA Recall History
    1991-92 850i: Airbag contact-ring locking tab in steering wheel assembly can break without warning, possibly causing wiring to break and preventing airbag from deploying in a collision.

1991-95: Malfunction or failure of cooling system component can result in significantly increased coolant temperature and system pressure. 1994: Remote activation device can close windows and sunroof from a distance greater than the maximum (6 meters) permitted by Federal standard.

1994-97 840Ci: Plastic housing on cruise-control or throttle cable could break due to environmental influences, coupled with vibration, leading to separation; could result in throttle valve remaining partially open.
    While I could afford the price of one for around $15k, doing the air conditioning and cruise control would be way too much. For lots of other things, I found aftermarket was cheaper than OEM most of the time. There were good prices on Bilstein suspension gear... You can find Brembo & Zimmerman brake discs/pads for great deals online too.
    I would say the imported 8 series cars are only for people who plan on upgrading them. For someone like me, who could only afford to drive it stock and problem-free, its' gotta be something else.

An old Boss of mine drove one he imported from Japan. Thing was a sweet ride with a gorgeous back end....but had major major electrical problems, the wiring harness was incredibly large and very poorly labeled.

My Ride
    F30

8 series look damnn sexy but their reliability is questionable, and for the record M3 =
    Originally posted by Ven
    If you find a chic the there with a stick shift don't be alarmed. It's just the performance model, go ahead and ride it like you stole it.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1991/bmw...consumer.html, some info from actual owners, for others considering to buy this vehicle.

recalled BMW's
    http://www.automallusa.net/1991/bmw/...s/recalls.html
    Every car ever made has had recalls check the site out. Cant say all cars are made to perfection.

The BMW 850CSi has M8 emblems on the engine, might not be reliable.

And by the way an M3 isnt really considered a 3 series, its considered an M series, thats why its.
    Last edited by brownchild; 01-24-2007 at 01:16 PM.

My Ride
    Honda

recalled BMW's
    http://www.automallusa.net/1991/bmw/...s/recalls.html
    Every car ever made has had recalls check the site out. Cant say all cars are made to perfection.
    Is that site for real?

If you look at all the cars on there, I'd guess each one has 20+ recalls on major components.

Is that site for real?

If you look at all the cars on there, I'd guess each one has 20+ recalls on major components.
    I dont know for sure, it looks pretty legit.

Its not for every vehicle of that model, its just for a couple thousand of them produced.

I dont think the problem that occured with 1991 8 series was pretty big for that year.

Remedy:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW DESIGN RADIATOR CAP TO CONTROL PRESSURE AND PROVIDE GREATER COOLANT OVERFLOW IN THE EVENT OF OVERHEATING.

My Ride
    Subaru GR

Originally posted by maxboost_R

I will slit my wrists don't make me do it
    you better not, who will work on my 8 when your dead haha
    Psalm 144(1): Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Is that site for real?

ONE recall on the NSX.

Ever.

My Ride
    Vista Cruiser

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

x2.

BMW M3 isn't a real Bimmer? Or the twin turbo 335?

Okay....
    op is a fucking idiot poser.

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

[url]

And by the way an M3 isnt really considered a 3 series, its considered an M series, thats why its.
    no no, it is.
    Otherwise would be just an M and no 3.
    The M is just to make it look better.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Originally posted by Ferrari owner

op is a fucking idiot poser.

i had a slight feeling until it was confirmed...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2