Quantcast
how do i break-in new skates?? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: how do i break-in new skates??

My Ride
    92eg6, 88c-rex, 94ls, 904runner, 90dakota

Default how do i break-in new skates??

title says it all... i bought new ice skates (first time skater) and they hurt the middle part of my foot after being on the ice for a while, how do i break them in so they will be comfortable, one guy at my school reccomended tossing them in the oven then putting them on, whereas another said that could only be done with high end skates

thanks

easiest way to break them in is to wear them and bear with a bit of pain.... not trying to be a smart ass but its the truth.

Might as well ask what kind of skates are they?

You can sit on them or put pressure on the boots and move them around to try and loosten them up.

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Default Re: how do i break-in new skates??

Originally posted by h_s
    title says it all... i bought new ice skates (first time skater) and they hurt the middle part of my foot after being on the ice for a while, how do i break them in so they will be comfortable, one guy at my school reccomended tossing them in the oven then putting them on, whereas another said that could only be done with high end skates

thanks
    meh you could probly bake cheap skates
    just wouldnt be near as affective as highend skates that are made to be molded!
    what did you get?

My Ride
    Celica GT-Four

put some skate guards on an wear them around the house...watching the game tonight...just needs your foot heat

^^werd, your foot will naturally mold them by themselves. Like he said walk around ur house in them or go skating more.
    Clarkson is God______

My Ride
    92eg6, 88c-rex, 94ls, 904runner, 90dakota

ccm intruders 49.99 at crappy tire... i would buy expensive ones but probably wont touch them for a while after this season... i guess i could bear the pain, its what you get for 49.99

same thing happened to me. after skating about 5 times you will get used to it and all is good. Also make sure you tighten them realllly well.

My Ride
    S13 & Suzuki

It may even be that the skates will never be comfortable... as you said you got them from crappy tire meaning they are crappy skates. if you can return them I would suggest spending an extra 50 bucks and getting a decent pair of eastons or ccms or even reaboks or missions from sport check, they'll heat mold them there to.
    they'll pretty much last you forever. just a suggestion I understand you don't have a need for anything but a basic skate

The guy at sport mart told me to use a blow dryer on mine for a bit then lace them up and wear them for a while. It should mold to your feet then. Just been lazy and haven't done that yet with mine so just been bearing with the pain.

My Ride
    L-Tuned

Just wear them. I bought new skates last year. Even after heat moulding them at time of purchase, I still had to complete the break-in the old-fashioned way.

you just have to wear them in pain for abit. all skates are hell to break in. Even with molding my grafs hurt like a bitch for the first week. Whatever you do dont buy mission skates they are junk.

My Ride
    the batmobile

i played hockey 13 years, and ya, like bmeier said all u can do is just skate in them until they break in. the blow dryer thing might help too, but i really wouldn't recommend putting them in the oven, that just seems like a really bad idea.

My Ride
    4cyl turbo diesel with a max speed of 10.9kmh

I put mine in the oven, works great, they're the mission ones meant to be molded, i think it will work on non moldable skates just dont keep it in there for too long and take the laces out first

CONCRETE PATIO SPECIAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS!

definitly dont put them in your oven you will fuck them up....especially a cheap pair like that, take them to sportchek and ask them if they can heat them up for 5 minutes and try it that way, they have the specail skate baker or whatever you want to call it

My Ride
    2001 BMW M3 Convertible

My feet are so screwed up in the arch so I need orthotics but even with them a lot of skates kill me. Even some that are used and broke in already. Generally Grafs are wider and CCM/RBK are more narrow. Also some have higher arches than others. I have a feeling that is where your problem is. If your feet are even a little flat in any part of the arch your in trouble. I find the CCM and RBK (higher end series) fits best for that problem. I did own cheap CCM's a long time ago and even after years of trying to "break them in" it did not work until I bought a better pair.

Just my 2 cents

My Ride
    92 Prelude 4ws

Wow,

I can't believe anybody here didn't suggest the kettle....

Put a kettle on the stove and boil some water, hold the skate over it upside down letting the steam go right up into the boot for a few minutes... the steam & heat will get the skate plyable, put them on with skate guards in the house AS TIGHT AS YOU CAN and wear them watchin tv, walk around, make dinner whatever... (make sure your guards stay on well, i've cut the kitchen floor before)

For cheap skates, this is the best method ... repeat this 2 or 3 times on different days, otherwise wear them and eventually you'll break them in. this does help break down the real ice time that it takes for the skate to conform to your foot.
    DannyO

Oh yea, I also met Doris..

My Ride
    TII FC3S (sold), RX300

sounds like you have the same ccm skates as me! haha 49.99 at sport swap NEW! i'm also have the same problem. shit i have pretty flat feet too so my feet hurt quite abit when i skate for a long period of time. i'll try that steaming method!

My Ride
    350z

If you are having trouble with the arches you should get a good insole for that. Lots of presure on the balls of the feet when you are on a eighth of a inch of steel.

My Ride
    STI

Steam the skate put them on real tight walk around. The truth is that i have played hockey for the better part of my life and you mostlikey have flat feet and your skates will always hurt you. I know exactly what your talking about when you say the bottom middle part of your foot hurts i get the same thing.

Enjoy lol

My Ride
    JDM '91 Toyota MR2 GT

I used to get that for a long time with my goalie skates. They're a lot more rigid and don't exactly mould to one's feet as easily.

It took me a while to figure out to keep the middle and bottom laces loose, and only the upper, say 1/3rd, tight up top near the ankle. It makes a world of difference.