Quantcast
Ford hit by record $12.7bn loss - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ford hit by record $12.7bn loss

Default fords new record

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/25/bu...rtner=homepage

How many yrs can they go on like this....

My Ride
    2015 MK7 GTI

nice....

hope they don't end up going under because that will suck for everyone and make everything more expensive

My Ride
    FG Civic

Im not worried :

"Most of the red ink in the latest year was produced by the cost of shrinking and reorganizing the company, buying out workers and writing down asset values. Those charges accounted for $9.9 billion of Ford’s full-year loss after taxes."

My Ride
    pedals

Originally posted by ogpog
    Im not worried :
    that still leaves a non-expensed loss of 2.8 billion dollars. i could see if the write off's and costs were more than the total loss, but they arnt and ford is still loosing an ass load of money. their only saving grace is that the us - govt. would probably step in if they went chapter 11

My Ride
    FG Civic

Originally posted by hjr
    that still leaves a non-expensed loss of 2.8 billion dollars. i could see if the write off's and costs were more than the total loss, but they arnt and ford is still loosing an ass load of money. their only saving grace is that the us - govt. would probably step in if they went chapter 11
    General motors reported a loss of over 10 billion, and didnt have an excuse at all . General motors is still a fairly solid company at the moment, despite its losses. So whats the issue?

My Ride
    rental

Originally posted by ogpog

General motors is still a fairly solid company at the moment, despite its losses.
    Based on what???

Just cuz their stocks came back from $18 to $30's

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Who knew that a car company that sells mostly trucks would see hard times when gas prices went up? Who knew that designing bland, unappealing, cars would lead to low sales?

Seriously, who buys Ford cars (outside of the people that still like dinosaur cars like the Mustang)?

Originally posted by heavyD
    Who knew that a car company that sells mostly trucks would see hard times when gas prices went up? Who knew that designing bland, unappealing, cars would lead to low sales?

Seriously, who buys Ford cars (outside of the people that still like dinosaur cars like the Mustang)?
    I know of no one personally..

Oh no wait. my grandparents have a late 90's taurus.. thats it. Other then that it's only trucks...

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I'll post that quote again, just in case people missed it the first time.

"Most of the red ink in the latest year was produced by the cost of shrinking and reorganizing the company, buying out workers and writing down asset values. Those charges accounted for $9.9 billion of Ford’s full-year loss after taxes."

Redirecting and restructuring a huge company like Ford isn't cheap.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
    I'll post that quote again, just in case people missed it the first time.

Redirecting and restructuring a huge company like Ford isn't cheap.
    Save us the smoke & mirrors. The lack of Ford cars on the streets doesn't lie. Ford has survived on truck sales for years and it's started to catch up with them.

My Ride
    LHD CYM R1 FD3S

Default Ford hit by record $12.7bn loss

Ford has reported a loss of $12.7bn (£6.5bn) for 2006 - the biggest annual loss in the embattled US carmaker's 103-year history.

A slump in sales, combined with major restructuring costs, saw the firm lose $5.8bn in the final three months of the year alone.

The iconic US carmaker has been struggling in the face of competition from Japanese rivals such as Toyota.

Ford has plans to close 16 factories in North America and cut 45,000 jobs.

The company, which is currently the second-biggest carmaker in the US, may be overtaken by Toyota in its domestic market later this year, reports have suggested.
    Ouch..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6298463.stm

Originally posted by heavyD

Ford should just can its entire N. American non-truck operation and import all the cars from European plants.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Ya one of their execs gave up his private plane...for good reason obviously.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    04 Rsx-s,07 Frontier, 11 ss/rs

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Ya one of their execs gave up his private plane...for good reason obviously.
    What a hero. Good on him.
    They'll be fine for a while I'm sure.
    The mustang saved their butts this year and last.
    Toyota will have the 1/2 ton market soon enough, and the hybrids are popular.
    How is chrysler doing? Never hear much.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

I think bush fucked up the whole economy for america. Instead of going to war and dishing out 1.2 billion everyday on war, that money could have helped the economy by proving it to a better use such as helping ford and GM out. But if ford owns aston martin, mazda and others, how the fuck are they losing money? I hate ford with a passion, but i wouldn't want to see them sink to the bottom. I guess it's time for Honda or Toyota to throw them a life jacket and bring them back up.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Originally posted by Revhard

I'm sure they're doing alot better then ford and GM.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Originally posted by Revhard

What a hero. Good on him.
    They'll be fine for a while I'm sure.
    The mustang saved their butts this year and last.
    Toyota will have the 1/2 ton market soon enough, and the hybrids are popular.
    Much much better than any of them. See there is alot more to a car company than just selling cars. You have the financial services side which is very very profitable, you have your other divisions as well to help you make money. What was actually holding back DCI (daimlerchryslerinc) was the Benz line up but that has since been turned around since Benz sales went up dramatically and they are now making money. Their Freightliner truck division has also been extremelly popular. I havent checked their shares in a while but they are usually around the 40-50 dollar mark, something GM or Ford havent seen in a while.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

Originally posted by R!zz0
    I think bush fucked up the whole economy for america. Instead of going to war and dishing out 1.2 billion everyday on war, that money could have helped the economy by proving it to a better use such as helping ford and GM out. But if ford owns aston martin, mazda and others, how the fuck are they losing money? I hate ford with a passion, but i wouldn't want to see them sink to the bottom. I guess it's time for Honda or Toyota to throw them a life jacket and bring them back up.
    Mazda is one of Ford's only lineups that is profitable, but they're tiny compared to Toyota and Honda. Ford only owns 35% of Mazda though.

I definitely agree about the Iraq war. The US is going down the shitter and it's really unfortunate that we have so many ties with them.

My Ride
    pedals

poor gm and ford performance has nothing to do with the iraq war. they were in f'd before it began, and continue to be

My Ride
    Taco

Originally posted by hjr
    their only saving grace is that the us - govt. would probably step in if they went chapter 11
    The only reason this isn't happening is because back in the 80s when the same thing happened FORD fucked the gov't by lining thier own pockets with profits instead of paying back the loan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast