Quantcast
New Home Defects. Pics inside. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Home Defects. Pics inside.

Default New Home Defects. Pics inside.

I saw the following things on my new house that's under construction, but I'm not sure if they're actual problems or acceptable defects. I've already contacted my builder about this, and am awaiting a response, but it's nice to have an unbiased opinion on this too:

Cracked Staircase:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

Cracked Foundation. The pictures are taken on both sides of the same wall. I'm concerned the crack may run right through the entire wall:

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride
    90Laser/eclipse

the foundation deffinatly is a big problem
    make a big deal about it!!!!

My Ride
    T MR2

Yeah the foundation can be a major problem... since it's called the "foundation" of the house it's extremely important that you give them shit about this.

My Ride
    is probably sh*tier than urs

hahaha i wonder if me and my co workers were the one that stripped that houses foundation....simple buddy.. talk to ur builder whehter it be morrison homes or w/e the hell it is and tell em to contact the company which poured the foundation...then they'll patch it up or seal it with something..show em pictures and if they ignore.. giev em hell ...u have every right to bitch till its fixed.. ur monye ur house... demand perfection...! as for the cracked staircase buddy.. it happens.. see it all the time in houses we work on...if it completely bends warps when u step on it u got a problem...but theres tons that are like that....just bring it up with em ...
    You can technically get a ticket for each window that's illegally tinted. So as above, if you're being an ass to the officer (or if he's just an ass to begin with), he can give you two. (or three tickets if you're dumb enough to tint the windshield of your BMW... but if you own a BMW you can't be stupid right?)
    Originally posted by RoseLover

Any penny you have to work hard to get, you will consider as "cheapness"...if you hate people from overseas...why you stay in North America!

My Ride
    2001 BMW 320i

Foundation is a BIG issue....

Seriously, if water leaked in your screwed...

This happened in one of my house I lived in and we called the Homebuilder as soon as we recognized that there was a big puddle of water at the bottom of our basement, and we check it out with the homebuilder and behind the insulation, there had been a big crack, and they sprayed something into it. But it still wasn't good enough and kept leaking, and the warranty for us was like 1 year, and we kept calling back. But we got no reply, and the homebuilder was un-responsive, and they kept pushing it off like it was no big deal. So after that one year warranty came up we could do anything about it but call 3rd party contractors and see what they could do.

Definitely look into that and get it fixed, perhaps get some of that vapour barrier roll around the foundation if they didn't do that. Like I saw on Mike Homes, doing one of those houses but yeh...

Goodluck

Steve

Neither of those look like cracks to me. The staircase looks like a surface scratch/scored. A crack wouldn't propagate into the plywood riser and step.

The foundation looks like small air voids that formed on the form walls. Again it doesn't look like a crack.

I would say you have nothing to worry about on either of these.

My Ride
    rental

^^^ What are you basing your opinion from?
    Last edited by Whitetiger; 01-28-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Originally posted by Whitetiger

The fact that they don't look like cracks?

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Originally posted by Whitetiger
    I agree with Archer on the stairs that isnt a crack... Also they are basement stairs so it isn't that big of a deal..

My Ride
    2006 Jetta TDI,2006 Saab 92-x,2013 F350 Platinum

If you look closely at the foundation, there are 2 different shades of cement from one side of the crack to the other. Almost looks like they ran out of cement. I wouldn't be too impressed. They should be able to at least fill it with something. The stair case probably won't be a big deal, get them to reinforce it before they cover everything up just to make sure it's strong enough.

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

Looks like they didn't vibrate the air out of the basement wall well enough......Regardless if its a "crack" or its perforated or whatever, it is a structural integrity concern. Over years it could break away, and if the concrete on the top isn't bonded properly to the concrete below it (it is 2 different colours, likely 2 different pours), then if it isn't cracked or leaky now it WILL be after a few winters of heat/cold cycles....
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Horse

wow i wonder what company produced that ready mix... you cna see int he far wall the difference in colors.. I know not all mixes can be 100% but that is quite the difference.

also on the "crack" in it, liek stated above it is not a crack but rather a void, the lower layer must have started to set when they finnaly capped the wall therefore they could not vibrate or shovel mix it.

they will fix it by sealing it, it isn't a HUGE deal but for the house costs out here and the shoddy work (not due to workers skill but rather the volume of houses they are expected to build) I would be rather pissy about it.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    00 JeeChe

Originally posted by TurboMedic
    Looks like they didn't vibrate the air out of the basement wall well enough......Regardless if its a "crack" or its perforated or whatever, it is a structural integrity concern. Over years it could break away, and if the concrete on the top isn't bonded properly to the concrete below it (it is 2 different colours, likely 2 different pours), then if it isn't cracked or leaky now it WILL be after a few winters of heat/cold cycles....
    I doubt the foundation problem will affect the structural integrity of your home. They'll probably just patch and seal it. It's also above grade level so even if they didn't fix it (which they should) you probably won't see much or any leaking unless we get a few feet of snow.

I agree that the stair doesn't look like a crack. It's going across the grain?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

The staircase really isn't that big of a deal, but I would make an issue over the foundation.

The crack doens't appear to go all the way through so they can probably patch it with either a parging cement or an injection material. Either option should be okay.

Ask to have your foundation wrapped with an airbarrier. A good one to use os Bakors AirBloc 21 and then throw some Bakor Blueskin on top. The airblock 21 is a thick, tar-like material that forms an airtight and adhestive barrier. Put the blueskin on top and you got yourself on airtight barrier.

Waiiit... sorry, the foundation shoul have a water barrier. You could still use airbloc/blueskin, but that's an expensive option for a water barrier. Talk to the builder about what they usually use.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

those first two pics of the foundation are a huge deal

the last one doesnt look like anything to worry about

The stairs are just scratched and i bet you will tear it down in a year to build a deck
    Cos...

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by MrSector9
    wow i wonder what company produced that ready mix... you cna see int he far wall the difference in colors.. I know not all mixes can be 100% but that is quite the difference.

also on the "crack" in it, liek stated above it is not a crack but rather a void, the lower layer must have started to set when they finnaly capped the wall therefore they could not vibrate or shovel mix it.

they will fix it by sealing it, it isn't a HUGE deal but for the house costs out here and the shoddy work (not due to workers skill but rather the volume of houses they are expected to build) I would be rather pissy about it.

the difference in color means nothing. All foundations walls have different batches of concrete because you can't fit it all into one truck...even a tri-axle trailer. Many companies also fill up their trucks from different locations in the city so as long as the CMD is the same, there should be no problems.

The difference in color could just be different curing times. I do agree that I don't think the wall was properly vibrated.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
    Neither of those look like cracks to me. The staircase looks like a surface scratch/scored. A crack wouldn't propagate into the plywood riser and step.

The foundation looks like small air voids that formed on the form walls. Again it doesn't look like a crack.

I would say you have nothing to worry about on either of these.
    I agree, neither look like an issue to me.

The staircase is definitely not a crack.

The foundation just looks like air pockets, no cracking.

Originally posted by Dayclone
    Foundation is a BIG issue....

Seriously, if water leaked in your screwed...

This happened in one of my house I lived in and we called the Homebuilder as soon as we recognized that there was a big puddle of water at the bottom of our basement, and we check it out with the homebuilder and behind the insulation, there had been a big crack, and they sprayed something into it. But it still wasn't good enough and kept leaking, and the warranty for us was like 1 year, and we kept calling back. But we got no reply, and the homebuilder was un-responsive, and they kept pushing it off like it was no big deal. So after that one year warranty came up we could do anything about it but call 3rd party contractors and see what they could do.

Definitely look into that and get it fixed, perhaps get some of that vapour barrier roll around the foundation if they didn't do that. Like I saw on Mike Homes, doing one of those houses but yeh...

Goodluck

Steve

Who was the builder?

Originally posted by brendankharris
    those first two pics of the foundation are a huge deal

the last one doesnt look like anything to worry about

The stairs are just scratched and i bet you will tear it down in a year to build a deck
    Actually, those are the stairs for the upper floor so they're definately not getting tore down.

Originally posted by 89coupe

I agree, neither look like an issue to me.

The staircase is definitely not a crack.

The foundation just looks like air pockets, no cracking.
    I'm still worried because it occured on both sides of the same wall. They run almost parallel to each other.

So if it isn't a crack, then is it still an indication of poor workmanship/ quality? What exactly happened to cause something like that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast