Quantcast
Need advice on how to leave a job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on how to leave a job

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Default Need advice on how to leave a job

Hey Guys, I am a bit of a interesting situation and I need some advice on what to do next. The names of the companies wont be told to help keep me anonymous. (like my login name will help that)

I am working part time for an engineering firm downtown. I had an interview with a large government corporation that was set up (the interview) before I had gone to the interview with the company I am working for part time.

The government corporation made me a decent offer, but I told them that staying in Calgary would be better for me all around.

The company I am with part time, liked how I am working and wanted to keep me on full time after I graduate. They gave me a contract but I didnt sign anything as I told them I wanted to explore what I wanted to do for sure. I told them I think I would be staying when I graduated though.

The large crown corp. called me back (a few days after the part time company made me the offer to stay) and re-negotiated the contract so that I was happy and would work for them.

It is 50,000 to start, 32 days paid vacation, 7.5 hour work days, and they pay for my move. I said yes, of course, as this is a good job financially and the experience I will get with a Power system (like SaskPower, BC Hydro, Ontario hydro) will be great.

Now the problem is I want to keep working for this firm part time until I am done school. They know that the crown corp came back with an offer and they know it is good because I stopped talking to them about it.

Now they are making my life hard, limiting the work I work on, yada yada. I want to stay on (so I can pay bills), and don't want to tell them for a while that I am leaving. I like it there but I think that they are going to be pissed.

I guess my question is, how do I tell them that I will not be staying because the company who I turned down came back with a better offer? and should I stay there for a few more months or leave now?
    Cos...

My Ride
    SlowBalt

Well it all depends i guess on how much they are paying you, if you can find another part time job that pays the same quit now.. but if you cant I wouldn't even say anything to your current employer..

My Ride
    JDM '91 Toyota MR2 GT

You should tell them that the other place is "more suited to the career path that you wish to take, and the offer is a really strong one"

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by Envitro
    You should tell them that the other place is "more suited to the career path that you wish to take, and the offer is a really strong one"

thats good idea, I never thought of that and its not untrue!

thanks

Well it all depends i guess on how much they are paying you, if you can find another part time job that pays the same quit now.. but if you cant I wouldn't even say anything to your current employer..
    yeah no I cant go and make better money somewhere else. Problem is I am making the same paycheck as when I worked at Starbucks, but I only work 2 part time days a week at this place.

I just dont know what they could do legally to me, the contract I signed was for part time only so I doubt anything
    Cos...

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

You need something dramatic, to make a definitive point that you didn't deserve that kind of treatment and are leaving for greener pastures. Arson is a good one, I think, but ripping the lid off the photocopier or printing out a 700 page PDF document through the plotter (so it comes out as a 642 foot long scroll) are more unique.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Originally posted by b_t
    You need something dramatic, to make a definitive point that you didn't deserve that kind of treatment and are leaving for greener pastures. Arson is a good one, I think, but ripping the lid off the photocopier or printing out a 700 page PDF document through the plotter (so it comes out as a 642 foot long scroll) are more unique.

have any suggestions on something for 700 pages, maybe something a little inappropriate?
    Cos...

My Ride
    Indian Scout

I agree completely with this suggestion. Keep it honest and professional. Bridges are best left intact.

My Ride

Originally posted by brendankharris

have any suggestions on something for 700 pages, maybe something a little inappropriate?
    put these pdf's together and make a huge 700 page one.

http://www.torrentz.com/e47af46cf0ea...5cbcdeb4896686
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Originally posted by brendankharris

doesn't even need to be inappropriate, printing out that much from the plotter ties it up for over two hours, it will probably run out of ink and paper before you finish hahahah
    the hardest part is finding out how to get it to just print it straight through and not cut the sheets

My Ride
    obnoxious bikess.

Originally posted by b_t

doesn't even need to be inappropriate, printing out that much from the plotter ties it up for over two hours, it will probably run out of ink and paper before you finish hahahah
    the hardest part is finding out how to get it to just print it straight through and not cut the sheets
    haha those monster plotters are so annoying when they get going. you should most definitly do that.

or just keep printing worthless crap on small ones but queing everyone else haha.. just make sure you mess with the plotters or copiers that will be mean haha.

Originally posted by Isaiah

I agree completely with this suggestion. Keep it honest and professional. Bridges are best left intact.
    Best advice in the thread.

- Keep it professional and honest. Its a small world out there, in the end your company will understand even if they don't you were professional about the whole thing so they can't really say anything about you.

Originally posted by D. Dub

Best advice in the thread.

My Ride
    POS

As long as the contract didn't state anything about how long you have to be there, then there's nothing legal they can do about it.

If they have been good to you, then be good to them in return and tell them exactly what's going on. People quit all the time, in any position, at any time, for any reason. Who know's maybe they will even step up to the plate and match and beat the offer because that happens all the time as well. But either way they should be supportive in your career quest even if they don't like it, but it's just the way it works.

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

I agree with some of the comments above, just be honest about the situation, employers know its a competitive marketplace, and its your career, most professional employers know that their employees are going to get some good offers from other employers, and they shouldn't punish you for exploring or entertaining those opportunities

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

The business world is small. Anything bad you do now will come back to bite you in the ass later.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    JDM '91 Toyota MR2 GT

Absolutely. Never, ever burn a bridge unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also, to answer a previous question, the employer cannot do anything to you for leaving your contract. As an employee, you have no obligation, except for a moral one, to give any kind of notice. You can walk out to your new job tomorrow if you wished. I would advise you though to have your other contract signed and in hand before you ever let them know of anything.

Things often take a turn for the worse once it's out in the open, and depending on the vengeful nature of your current employers they could seek legal action or whatever against your possible future employer to make sure that you don't get hired. I've seen many people SOL when they don't have things in place before they quit. Just FYI.

My Ride
    Ralli Machine

Yeah I was not planning on burning a bridge.

They are just a smaller firm going through some growing pains right now and for me to leave is just to add more shit for them to deal with.

I never did sign anything but I do feel guilty that I had suggested I would be staying. I feel like I am going back on my word.

BTW the Printing thing was a joke although if it gets bad its still an option.

as I have said, I will leave respectfully, I just didn't know how to word it professionally but still get the point across that I am tired of the shit.

Absolutely. Never, ever burn a bridge unless it's absolutely necessary.

Also, to answer a previous question, the employer cannot do anything to you for leaving your contract. As an employee, you have no obligation, except for a moral one, to give any kind of notice. You can walk out to your new job tomorrow if you wished. I would advise you though to have your other contract signed and in hand before you ever let them know of anything.

Things often take a turn for the worse once it's out in the open, and depending on the vengeful nature of your current employers they could seek legal action or whatever against your possible future employer to make sure that you don't get hired. I've seen many people SOL when they don't have things in place before they quit. Just FYI.
    Its the moral obligation that is bothering me and the fact that I want to work there for a while until I leave. I already have my contract signed and back to me and official. I am actually going out to Vernon to meet with my boss and get some stuff worked out on the 15 of Feb.

I agree with some of the comments above, just be honest about the situation, employers know its a competitive marketplace, and its your career, most professional employers know that their employees are going to get some good offers from other employers, and they shouldn't punish you for exploring or entertaining those opportunities
    Yeah I guess that is true, I know of a few people who have left and that. Even if they match my offer, the instability that the company has and the fact that I am already half way up the ladder is a little daunting to me.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I never imagined I would have the problem of TOO many good job offers, let alone having a problem telling a company who has been good to me that I am leaving
    Last edited by The Cosworth; 02-02-2007 at 04:19 PM.
    Cos...

My Ride
    pedals

this is a good way

Give them notice 2 weeks before you leave. I tried to do the right thing once by giving 1 months notice so I could help train a replacement and I got sacked on the spot because they were worried I would take cusomer lists with me etc. There was nothing i could do and I only got the usual 2 weeks severence, so I ended up being out 2 weeks pay before my new job started. I check with labour relations and it was totally kosher and nothing I could do. Just be careful to protect yourself...

If you still want to work part time while in school... just give them 6-8 weeks notice.

That way you can keep your job until the other one starts and you are giving them more than enough time to find someone to replace you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast