Racism In calgary - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism In calgary

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

Default Racism In calgary

i donno if this has been posted yet, but i found this interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plQpLPy1eao

and its not just happening in the clubs, if you look for it, you'll notice it almost anywhere in calgary. which makes me upset, because i am part of that minority. and in this day and age, im surpised that its still around.
    Last edited by beyondpinoy; 02-01-2007 at 10:46 AM.

CRAZY how bars can be. i have seen it before too..but ...just avoid those places...the running shoes and that...its messed up.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

That's fucking retarded.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    pedals

Last edited by hjr; 02-01-2007 at 11:19 AM.

My Ride
    06 B7 Quattro

I have seen this before, I think this whole racial profiling at the door is garbage, but at the same time, I can understand the bouncer's point of view to some degree, as stupid as this type of attitude is from bouncers and bar owners, it doesn't help when people of color do start things at the club, it makes other people of color an easy target, that being said, a bouncer still should be open minded and shouldn't have double standards like the ones clearly shown in the video, as progressive as Canada is when it comes to issues of racism, it is still a big issue here and I think it always will be

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

While I'm not saying this isn't a fairly racist city (because comparatively it definately is), I wouldn't call that racism.

I'd call it prejudist, if a well dressed black man over the age of 25 were to walk up, I'm sure they'd let him in. I've been to all those clubs, and I've never seen a place filled with only white people.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

so there was a thread, but im not just talking about clubs tho.. over the past couple of days since ive seen this footage, ive seen alot more racism all over the place.. especially on the LRT..

My Ride
    Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 08

im just surprised this is

*sigh* this is horrible.

happened to me at roadhouse

2 white guy friends walk up both get in both running shoes and 18.

my gf and her friend go up both get in both 18.

i walk up i get stopped. 21 and up plus im not wearing running shoes.... right in front of me.

i asked what about my gf and hes like girls are aloud and than i asked about the 2 guys ahead of us and hes like they are 21.....

so i told him that they are my friends and i know for a fact they are 18...

still go turned down...

same bouncer as the video too at roadhouse...

My Ride
    RX300

Global should have another update on this, seeing as how it was an award winning segment it should be updated to see if changes are really in effect

we should email them about it hah
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    11sec S14, Lux Family Bus, VQ35HR

Thats why I liked the whole scanning the drivers liscence thing. In theory if people start shit at the club, the can deny entry to that person in the future. The operative word here is "in theory."
    This is also part of the reason I don't go clubbing in Calgary very often (you never run into this shit anywhere else); granted I'm usually not all thugged out, but rather wearing club clothes, but I have been denyed access to Cowboys back in the day just cuz my shoes were brown and not black.

You know I just realized how used to this shit I am; I was in Vegas for a long weekend last year and the new club that was all the rage was a club called Tao (in the Venetian). I told my bros that there was no way we were getting in there (didn't know why I said that) but we went anyway at 11:30, club was packed, lined up and we got in no problem, no questions, no funny looks, no bribes, younger bro 21, me 23, and my older bro 27 and we all got .

And to be denyed at the door of that shit ass club Elixr on a long weekend Reggae and Soca party where me and my boys and our girls being from the Caribbean are stopped at the door cuz we are under 25 but on our prebought tickets it says 21 and over? WTF is up with that? I mean Tantra doesn't even pull that shit.

Man I'm pissed off again! and this shit went down months ago! FUCK!

End rant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    She wishes it was deep.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So deep put her ass to sleep.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Was that on Global last night(Jan31?)? I would love to hear what the bar owner's excuse was. I'm white and go to the bar with all races, and a couple of times, I've had to stand up for them. It's total garbage, absolute bullshit. I've been warned about my runners, but "just try to remember for next time man alright" but a couple of times I've been denied, so it does happen, even to white people. I'm sure it's just another excuse to not let minorities in the bar.

But maybe there is a reason? Is it legitimate? No but maybe a reason they think is. I wonder if statistically, minorities are the ones who are tossed out for fighting, causing problems etc? I personally don't know, and have not seen any problems with any one race in particular at the bar my entire 3 years I've been allowed to enter. Is it something we just don't know or are bouncers the dicks they live up to be?

EDIT: You know what they should have done to add to this? Get a couple of white guys together, same outfits, and younger and see what happens. Have the white guys stand a couple places back in line behind the black guys. If the blacks get denied, and the whites are allowed, simply say the black guys are with us. See what happens. Is that right..no but would be interesting to see how it plays out
    Last edited by msommers; 02-01-2007 at 12:18 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

I'm a visible minority and I've never really had any problems getting into bars in Calgary when I go with a group of visible minorities or with other groups either. I actually remember one time at Roadhouse there was a group of white guys in front of my friends and I (mix of people) and the white guys actually didn't get in because they had white sneakers on and my group did even though most of us were wearing white sneakers.

Clubs in Calgary are whack anyway....I've seen friends get hassled so many times. Same friends and I never have those problems when we go to clubs in Vegas. Calgary club owners/bouncers need to realize they aren't God's gift's to Calgary's night scene.

My Ride
    rental

People of colours should open our own clubs. Fuck the rascist entry shit.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by Whitetiger
    People of colours should open our own clubs. Fuck the rascist entry shit.
    People of colour own clubs. An asian owns Whiskey If I am not mistaken. etc...

Originally posted by Kona9

An asian owns Whiskey If I am not mistaken. etc...
    Yes he is, We did some work for Wiskey while back. Very nice guy.

My Ride
    Nissan

das fuckin harsh.
    lol jus fukin bear spray the bouncer or taser him should make you feel happy inside

My Ride
    Upass

all you gotta do is not dress up in baggy ass clothes and look like thugs. and come with a couple girls. Im brown and everytime i go with my gf i never once had a problem. its when i go with people thats arent dressed right for the club that we have problems

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

While I am not racist and do not condone it I have to agree that what they are doing is more of a prejudice (racial profiling) thing and not racism. This isn't like the southern states where they did stuff like refuse to serve blacks. This is more about protecting their business which is why they are there to begin with. What happens to a bar's business after an incident of gang violence? It's easy for people that don't have a vested interest in the business to say they should let everyone in but until you've been on the other side of the fence you don't know the rammifications. Like someone said they still let in various races, they are just picking them by profile.

I ask you this. If you have $$$ invested in a business don't you think you should have to right to turn away people that may or may not bring unwanted attention to your establishment?

It's possible that a small percentage of the owners/managers could be racist but I highly doubt that most bars doing this are motivated by racism.

Oriental gang violence has been big news in this city for a few years now and can't be ignored. If anything you should be upset with the gangs as they are ruining it for the majority that are law abbiding citizens.

that's why going to the bar when your asian is so gary. You gotta deal with the 21 questions, 5 pieces of ID, wearing dress shoes, not have one thread out of place, and be a certain age. If your 18, they'll say 21+. If your 21, they'll say 25+. If your 25, they'll say 27+. I've heard it all before. I don't blame business owners for doing that at all. It just sucks for the rest of us, and that's why I don't go to the clubs that much anymore. Its just not worth the hassle for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast