Quantcast
2003 server shared folder Q - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 2003 server shared folder Q

My Ride
    Integra

Default 2003 server shared folder Q

Okay installed 2003 server on a computer. Hooked it up to the network and created a folder to share to see if the rest of the network had any problems seeing it. In my network places on a different machine I can see this computer named "Boss" but cannot access the share unless I put in a username and password.

On "Boss" I have the folder shared and given full control to the Everyone group. How do I get it so that other computers in the network do not have to enter a password to get to that shared folder?

My Ride
    2000 Maxima GLE

are you using a domain account to access the folders and are the computers on the network domain computers?

My Ride
    Integra

All machines in the network are apart of the same workgroup. Usually it's just share a folder and anyone can access it through my network places on their machine or by applying the servers path in the shortcut properties to whatever prog there using.

My Ride
    JDM '91 Toyota MR2 GT

2003 server is a domain-based system. Workgroups won't cut it...

The 2003 server must act as a domain controller, and will then do all of the security handling for your network. This means having network accounts, but oh well. It's actually better that way.

You have to log in with a network account to have access to the network resource. Local accounts are invalid.

It's the only way I know how to do it on 2003 server.

My Ride
    Integra

Okay so i've gotten a little further. Messing around some more I went into local security settings and changed the following.

Ip security policys etc. -->Secure Server -->Properties... All IP traffic --> Filter Action changed to Permit.

Ip security policys etc. -->Server--> All IP traffic --> File action changed to Permit.

Local Policies-->Security Options--> Enabled Guest account

Local Policies-->User rights assignment -->Access this computer from the network--> added the Everyone Group.

Okay so now on other computers through my network places --> view workgroup computers I can get into "Boss" (name of machine with 2003 server) without password. But I cannot open the shared folders inside. Access is denied.

My Ride
    Integra

Originally posted by Envitro
    2003 server is a domain-based system. Workgroups won't cut it...

The 2003 server must act as a domain controller, and will then do all of the security handling for your network. This means having network accounts, but oh well. It's actually better that way.

You have to log in with a network account to have access to the network resource. Local accounts are invalid.

It's the only way I know how to do it on 2003 server.
    All this machine is being used for is for the scheduling program. The scheduling program uses a database. Every computer in the office has the scheduling program installed on it and on the desktop shortcut the target is linked to the database on my machine currently. But since xp as a 10 user limit not everyone can have the scheduler up at the same time and they are having issues with that.

So I took an old machine and installed server just so that more than 10 users can access the that scheduler database.

How about automatically mapping the drive when the other hosts start up. You should be able to get it to automatically use a username/password when it tries to map. You could use a script of some sort to do that... although Im not exactly sure of the command to use.. Perhaps two work arounds:

Work around 1:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>net use ?
    The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
    [devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
    [/USER:[domainname\]username]
    [/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
    [/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
    [/SMARTCARD]
    [/SAVECRED]
    [[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]
    Work around 2:

This should be scriptable, unless there are options to automatically map a drive at logon (I think there is a "reconnect at logon" check box when mapping a drive).
    Hope this helps, or it can at least act as a quick workaround while searching out why it does not work.

--Forced

My Ride
    Integra

Well with all that friggin around in the administrative tools crap all it was was clicking the properties of the shared folder and adding the guest group to the group permissions... Why didnt I think of that earlier. Doh