Quantcast
News about the 15-year importation rule - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: News about the 15-year importation rule

Default News about the 15-year importation rule

Morning Gentlemen,

I wanted to contact your forum with some important news about the 15-year importation rule. The Canadian government is considering a change to a 25-year importation rule. This process has been building behind closed doors for the last year without public notice or consideration. We at IVOAC (Imported Vehicle Owners Association of Canada) (www.ivoac.ca) received information that the draft is completed and will be submitted for signature THIS SPRING. This is not rumor; this is fact.
    If you own, want to own a 15-year old import OF ANY MAKE OR MODEL then this will affect you.
    We at IVOAC have created a website FIGHTING this change. We have developed a 60+ page rebutting this attempt to change the rule. 3 weeks ago we started up the site and immediately caught the interest of the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) importers. Our membership grew quickly to almost 200 persons.
    This site will deal with all the latest confirmed information dealing with DOT/SAE issues, insurance concerns and of course fighting the change itself.
    We strongly ask that you at least check out the site (www.ivoac.ca) and if you feel comfortable to join in the fight. Most of the conversations so far on the site are by the RHD community but the change will affect ALL persons that own or wish to own a 15-year old import from ANYWHERE (but the states). They have the power at this time to succeed but with your help we can stop this.
    Please feel free to forward this to anyone you might think would be affected.

Cheers

My Ride
    Cummins F10

meh
    mines registered and insured as a lexus
    Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Where is the definitive support that verifies this claim? There are always so many claims about this and changes to be made that never happen.
    MK7 Golf SportWagen 4Motion

My Ride
    GTI

Not to mention they can't kick out cars already registered in Canada, so I don't see how this effects people who already own 15 y/o rhd cars.

My Ride
    pedals

it wouldnt be retroactive. they would simply stop new imports. Outside of an actual bill tabled in parliament, there is no need for so much drama.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Not to mention they can't kick out cars already registered in Canada, so I don't see how this effects people who already own 15 y/o rhd cars.
    Before this point is argueed (sp), the cars already in the country or awaiting import & landed at the port on or before the day this would be implemented would fall under a grandfather import clause.

I would also fight and or argue if a car was purchased to be stored in another country until it was 15 years old that it should also fall under the grandfather clause where the new rules would have no implications on this.

I just see a lot of uprising and/or bad things to come for the gov't if they 'close borders' and if they do this I believe they will have to revisit RIV as well.

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

Originally posted by hjr
    it wouldnt be retroactive. they would simply stop new imports. Outside of an actual bill tabled in parliament, there is no need for so much drama.
    Drama is what people thrive on. How do you think those bogus and lame reality shows survive? Same way rumours about importing do

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

So does this affect bringing cars over from the US?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    So does this affect bringing cars over from the US?
    Only if it's on the RIV's blacklist.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by redbaron303
    Where is the definitive support that verifies this claim? There are always so many claims about this and changes to be made that never happen.
    If you read on the website, you will see quite clearly the sources that have confirmed this information.

My Ride
    pedals

that site has shit organization. link the sources if you can (as you have seen them)

My Ride
    honda.

before i believe this i would have to see some sources

My Ride
    MK7 Golf

I posted in your thread on 780tuners. I even posted the e-mail from teh supposed transport canada guy with his e-mail address. He's a public servent and can deal with an influx of e-mails.

I've e-mailed all boards mentioned in the post and asked them for verification of the ideas meantioned in the e-mail.

Until I hear back I do not believe it's authentic as there are no other sources. Your site has nothing really, at least that I haven't seen and have yet to believe. :P

My Ride
    Honda

I would suggest that people contact their MP to ask about this. They should address this issue. Also, contact consumer affairs in Ottawa. I will!

My Ride
    '90 skyline gtst

as far as i know, if your vehicle is registered, insured your car is clear to stay, they can't do anything about them. As far as cars already landed, and not registered or insured i believe they are going to be a pain in the ass to keep here

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Just like all the other times this has come up, I'll believe it when I see it
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    GD + GR WRB

From their website:

From: M.C.(editted by ivoac.ca admins) [mailto:[email protected]]
    Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: RE: CCMTA Website - Contact Us page

Sir,

As mentioned by Mr. Claude Roy, consultations are part of the rulemaking process in the Federal government. The government has consulted with the CCMTA, which represents the provinces, territories and Federal Government.

Transport Canada is now preparing documentation to change the 15 year rule to 25 years, which will be submitted for ministerial approval. The anticipated timeframe for submission of the documentation to the minister's office is spring 2007. Once the minister signs off on the proposal, the proposed amendment will be sent to Treasury Board for review and Privy Council for approval. Subsequently, publication of the draft amendment will appear in the Canada Gazette Part 1, and a 75 day comment period will be given so that the public can provide comments. Information on how to submit comments will be included in the publication. Comments would then be addressed prior to passing any legislation and publishing in the Canada Gazette Part 11. Publishing in the Canada Gazette Part 1 is anticipated this year, and could also be as early as the spring.

In regards to the 15 year rule, it was originally implemented to allow an exemption for the importation of collectible vehicles for hobby and occasional use. At that time, as most of the vehicles 15 years old and older being imported were typically collectors items, 15 years was considered to be an acceptable age limit for exemption. As the number of 15 year old vehicles being imported for every day use has increased, the government along with the CCMTA no longer consider 15 years to be adequate.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, they can be forwarded directly to me.
    Regards,
    M.C (editted by ivoac.ca admin), P.Eng.,
    Standards and Regulations Division
    Bought not built!

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

I understand the fight, but I'm not sure such a small minority of vehicle owners can have any influence on this ruling......good luck otherwise...
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I agree with Turbo Medic and Red Baron. To Baron's point that this only effects people, and businesses, that plan on importing in the future. The Grandfather Clause means it won't effect any consumers who already have one registered here.

And to Medic's point, it's a relatively small minority of car-owners and businesses effected, so it will be a very hard battle for them. Not to say it's useless, but it certainly is an uphill battle and since I don't ever plan on importing a car, it doesn't really effect me too much.

Good luck to those of you who plan on fighting this.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    something green

With massive layoffs in the auto industry in Ontario looming now from DC, it doesnt matter if the threat from imported vehicles to new vehicles is perception or reality, you know the Feds are gonna have to do something to keep the Ontarian masses at bay. Any bit of legislation that seems to be a push towards improving new vehicle sales of domestically made cars will be deemed favourable..
    There is a move to push Asia to open up to North American automakers,especially Japan, in reality Japan is open to every car manafacturer, but Japanese wont buy crap. What they are really pushing for is legislation that forces Japan to accept xxx amount of vehicles per year.
    Too loud for Aspen

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast