Quantcast
How old do you believe the Earth is, roughly. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How old do you believe the Earth is, roughly?

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4.5 Billion years old.

166 88.30%
  • 6-10 Thousand years old.

12 6.38%
  • Neither

10 5.32%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How old do you believe the Earth is, roughly.

My Ride
    pedals

come on, science is a belief, the same as religion. i believe that the world is around 6k years old, is that so bad?

Originally posted by MtYurmom

Hittin on the one and only chick on beyond... "Show you my rock collection."
    HAHA!
    Do it up Q!

Justincarlgary has a point.

I think that this argument comes from our intepretation and disagreement on what a specific length of time is.

ie. 6000 years in the bible may literally mean 4.6 billion calendar years... it's all relative to your instrument of measurement.

I may say a couple of miles and mean 3200m, you may say a couple of miles and mean Calgary to China.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by hjr
    come on, science is a belief, the same as religion. i believe that the world is around 6k years old, is that so bad?
    Science in this subject uses mathematical deduction.

t = age of the sample
    D = number of atoms of the daughter isotope in the sample
    P = number of atoms of the parent isotope in the sample
    ë = decay constant of the parent isotope
    ln = natural logarithm

And another point, in light of this argument, in my humble opinion. this is what I'm led to believe:

1. The Earth is a marvellous place, to consider the chemical sensitivities that had to be in place for it to be a habitable planet is mind-boggling, almost magical in a sense. There had to be some higher power working on it and some serendipity as well.

2. In the span of time the Earth has been around, we humans have occupied but a tiny speck, ie. if the life of the earth was a year, we would have arrived 11:59pm Dec 31

3. We are seriously f*cking up the ecosystems with the way we live, pollute, destroy habitats, etc. to quote Agent Smith, we really are a virus on this planet. Not to say we should be tree huggers, but we should learn to respect it more, do our part and not litter, learn to conserve/recycle, stuff like that.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Anyone who believes the Earth is 6000 years old is a loon

You CAN be a good Christian, and NOT take the bible, in the literal sense, word for word, it would be appalingly naive to do so.

To answer the orig post.

I believe it's 4.5 Billion, as I believe fact more than religion. Even this may be way off though as we aren't omnipotent and whatever method they used to prove this may be flawed.
    Last edited by Tik-Tok; 02-09-2007 at 03:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Smokem
    And another point, in light of this argument, in my humble opinion. this is what I'm led to believe:

1. The Earth is a marvellous place, to consider the chemical sensitivities that had to be in place for it to be a habitable planet is mind-boggling, almost magical in a sense. There had to be some higher power working on it and some serendipity as well.

bull shit. life as we know it required some pretty specific initial conditions, but that doesn't mean that there was some higher power mixing the pot to make things happen. if the conditions were different, life would be different. it's funny how people invoke magic spritis rather than parsimony,

for thereligious peeps here:

why do you beleive in god?

how is it possible to beleive in both god and science? there is absolutely no scientific evidence for god, and although it is impossible to disprove the existnce of god, there is a ton of evidence against what rel;igions claim and there is not a shred of evidence for god

My Ride
    GTI

The only things I take literally are the regular, literal stories. I believe all the people in the bible were real, all the events were real, though maybe not as we know them. I don't believe the great flood covered the entire earth, it more likely covered what to Noah was the known world. Things like that, if I told you what I take literally and what I don't, we would be sitting here for years.

There is also the problem with translation, the hebrew word for day can also be translated as epoch, which can mean a period of time, not necessarily a day. Also in the creation of man, it is said that he is made out of the earth, (not exact words, but I'm too lazy to look it up), which IMO goes along with theory of evolution. I think there's a good possibility that the modern form of the bible in english still varies significantly from the original hebrew texts.

I believe in God, and Science, and it's very easy to do so. Who's to say God isn't reponsible for the rules of the universe and the big bang? Evolution and the big bang in no way conflict with what is said in Genesis (the first book of the bible).

You can say it's impossible to believe in God, but I also find it impossible to believe that something, can come from nothing. Where does the universe come from?

Who knows, maybe the universe is just laying in a petri dish somewhere.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 02-09-2007 at 04:16 PM.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by hjr
    Yeah, it is. It has been proved false, and nowhere in the bible does it say the world is 6000 years old, so why would you believe that?

My Ride
    2003 350z

Just the other side of the coin i add two links even tho i don't believe the earth is 6000 yrs old or god but science has a few theory's that wants us to take a leap of faith as well

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61&q=evolution

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...82&q=evolution

let's have a real debate!with both side

Originally posted by hjr
    Science tends to have supporting evidence. Can the same be said of religion?

Originally posted by nonlinear

bull shit. life as we know it required some pretty specific initial conditions, but that doesn't mean that there was some higher power mixing the pot to make things happen. if the conditions were different, life would be different. it's funny how people invoke magic spritis rather than parsimony,
    That's a pretty selfish way of thinking. Try finding a planet like ours that's habitable at least in this SOLAR SYSTEM (my bad). What happened with Earth and the evolution of humanity is like hitting a one in trillion lottery ticket. It's obvious from the manner in which you posted (saying bullshit to my opinion) that you have a lack of respect for others' opinions, which leads me to my next point...

As far as religious belief, I balance science and religion. I believe in God and something to look forward to at the end of my days... I believe in living through the ideals, having humility and integirty in this world. The worship is just a ritual (I may not agree with it all at times) but I see it as kind of like believing in keeping fit and staying in shape but the working out is the discipline involved in achieving this. The ritual and worship is "working out" my spirituality. I also believe spirituality can be attained from many other sources, this just happens to be one that is more convenient than others. It makes me look forward to being a better person, a better friend, better son... but lately I've been wondering whether or not I should just f*ck it all because few in this world think of anyone else but themselves.

If you've ever hoped for, wished for anything, loved someone even, you've committed and act of belief (faith) in which you substantiated your want to something bigger than yourself for it to happen. Whatever that "something" is, is at your discretion.

As previously stated, THIS IS MY OPINION. Agree or disagree but respect it.
    Last edited by Smokem; 02-09-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Originally posted by lint

Science tends to have supporting evidence. Can the same be said of religion?
    The evidence that religion exists is shown through people's intents and actions. It is inherent and built into what they believe.

Science has empirical factual evidence; religion has empirical evidence conveyed through belief

That's a pretty selfish way of thinking. Try finding a planet like ours that's habitable at least in this galaxy. What happened with Earth and the evolution of humanity is like hitting a one in trillion lottery ticket.
    Try to find a planet like ours in at least this galaxy thats habitable? I got one finger that will tell you just how many different planets humans have even been to, and its raised high. You dont think that out of the almost infinite number of planets and galaxies within our universe that only ONE has any sort of life on it, do you? Now THATS ignorant. Unless of course you dont believe in other planets. However if you DO believe in other planets, did your education system or church not teach you probability?

A situation that resulted in a planet that could support life was bound to happen in at least one spot in our universe, it wasnt some invisible man who coughed up a universe, and then took the earth into his fingers and moved it a precise distance away from the sun.
    Last edited by Fado; 02-09-2007 at 05:13 PM.

Originally posted by Fado

Try to find a planet like ours in at least this galaxy thats habitable? I got one finger that will tell you just how many different planets humans have even been to, and its raised high. You dont think that out of the almost infinite number of planets and galaxies within our universe that only ONE has any sort of life on it, do you? Now THATS ignorant. Unless of course you dont believe in other planets. However if you DO believe in other planets, did your education system or church not teach you probability?
    I meant solar system, my grade four education is killing me here. I guess I'm bound to deserve as many condescending comments and insults for that, hey... no problem, fire away.
    Last edited by Smokem; 02-09-2007 at 05:15 PM.

I meant solar system, my grade four education is killing me here.
    Well if you meant solar system, im even more dissapointed. Of COURSE we are the only planet in our solar system thats habitable for humans. Earth is the only one thats in a decent enough spot in orbit around the sun to do so. Whats your point? Did you forget about the OTHER solar systems? Did you forget that just in our galaxy alone, our sun shares its space with over 200 billion other stars just like it? Thats in ONE galaxy. Did I mention there is more than one? Cmon bud, science rules all.

Is there anyone here who wont give us the BS "God exists because of such and such"? I prefer the more fact based "this does this and that means that, therefore etc.".
    Last edited by Fado; 02-09-2007 at 05:25 PM.

There was an interesting movie about this, satrred Jodie Foster, many years ago called Contact, you should check it out. Sometimes there are things that can't be explained... that was my underlying point. Science can only prove the things that exist empricially, that are touchable, tangible, with substance. Science cannot prove a belief, humans alone prove beliefs.

Can we agree to that?

There was an interesting movie about this, satrred Jodie Foster, many years ago called Contact, you should check it out. Sometimes there are things that can't be explained... that was my underlying point. Science can only prove the things that exist empricially, that are touchable, tangible, with substance. Science cannot prove a belief, humans alone prove beliefs.

Can we agree to that?
    So we should believe the Bible because Jodie Foster hopped in a steel ball that transported her to a beach on a weird planet to walk the sand with her dad? Amazing, truly amazing.

You do know that Contact is a fictional movie, not to be pursued religiously, right?

...and even still science has not proven existence of life in another planet or galaxy. Science alludes to the probability of life elsewhere given the number of planets, composition of matter, etc. out there, so in effect you are invalidating science to a certain degree no?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast