Quantcast
pvc or abs for intake tubing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: pvc or abs for intake tubing?

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

Default pvc or abs for intake tubing?

ahh.. i just realized b4 i went to get some tubing to make a ghetto intake that i need to figure out which one is better for intake?
    pvc or abs guys!

i will just need to duct about 1-2 feet of it from airbox to front of car area (im removing the intake baffle and i dont wanna suck in hot air so thats what im tryin to do.)

max
    240 ka-t

My Ride
    335i

PVC
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    my bike

i'm not sure if this is true or not as i know but i heard that both will break down over time from the heat in your engine bay

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by 98type_r
    i'm not sure if this is true or not as i know but i heard that both will break down over time from the heat in your engine bay
    That is very possible, however if it is being used as the CAI extension, then it probably wont get hot enough to break down. If it was being used in the engine bay, from the filter to the throttle body, then I would say that it probably would break down.

Does anyone in town here do mandrel bending? If so, you will lose the ghetto look and have a nice professional CAI.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

this is what ill do
    ghetto is where its add baby!

max
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    240 ka-t

why even bother? you won't gain anything... except maybe a bit of noise.

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

why do u thikn i wont gain anything?
    240 ka-t

My Ride
    04 STi

The only diff from pvc to abs is pvc has a longer fire rating. If you burn abs the smoke thats released is actually cianide(sp?) I'd go PVC.

My Ride
    07 Mazdaspeed 6, 89 Mustang LX

Originally posted by Mckenzie

Does anyone in town here do mandrel bending? If so, you will lose the ghetto look and have a nice professional CAI.
    Guyon can do it with thick wall sections, and I believe Ground Zero Race Cars has a mandrel bender as well (not totally sure, the rollbar in the mustang is definetly mandrel bent, but don't know if he did that in house or not).
    Drag racing is for fast cars. Solo 2 is for fast drivers.

My Ride
    04 STi

You could buy some 2" conduit from an electrical wholesaler, its only a few buck a foot, the should have a bender for it to make any offsets you need Then powder coat it for prob 25 beans. You wouldn't be totally ghetto then, kinda trash de blanc ghetto.

My Ride
    firebird

Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
    Guyon can do it with thick wall sections, and I believe Ground Zero Race Cars has a mandrel bender as well (not totally sure, the rollbar in the mustang is definetly mandrel bent, but don't know if he did that in house or not).
    Cool.... if they are relatively inexpensive, I might get some piping bent for a CAI. I can buy one for $245 US, so about $300 CDN.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    firebird

But for this application, I dont think you will gain anything. You might as well do it right the first time and buy a full CAI.

Also, is that piping going to go right down towards the ground near the outside of the engine bay, or just where you have it inside of the engine bay? I cannot really tell from your picture....

But if you dont take the pipe out of the engine bay then you will most likely lose power because you will be sucking in hat air from the engine bay.
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    1995 Nissan 240SX

i will route it down between under battery and radiator.. the reason im putting the tubing is that if i remove the baffle box it will suck in hot air i dont want that to happen.
    240 ka-t