Quantcast
New DJ - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New DJ

Default New DJ

Hey so ive been really interested in taking up DJing and want to go out and buy a set up.

now i have no clue as to what i need but i would like to be able to mix things off my Ipod as well as insert CDs to mix.

if anyone out there knows what they are talking about in terms of this shit and can get back to me with some advice on what i should buy if im just started out that would be great. my budget is $500ish. ive been told thats pretty realistic for a introductory set of DJ equipment.

thanks!

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Default Re: New DJ

Originally posted by c63ftw
    my budget is $500ish. ive been told thats pretty realistic for a introductory set of DJ equipment.

thanks!

$500 isn't going to get you much of a DJ setup these days. Even if you go with CDJ's instead of turntables, if you want to be able to have the connectivity for Ipod/HDD, you'll have to start looking at equipment such as the CDJ 400's or 1000MK3 which for a pair, will run you $1500-3200 (depending whether you get 400s or 1000s)

Then you will need a mixer, and even a basic 2 channel average quality mixer will be $2-300.

If you can find a used pair of CDJ200s, you might be able to get them for $500-700 but you won't be able to connect an ipod. CD's only. then add on a mixer for about $150.

PS: Do NOT waste your money on something like THIS if you are at all serious about DJing.

Years back, I found a set of MK2 Tech 1200s w/ quite a few Shure/Concord cartridges for less than $500, exactly what I was looking for as I am a Purist!

But, my mixer was $700 which was a Vestax 07 PRO ISP edition. But it was the only one I wanted, it was robust, sturdy and had the best fader feel/controls.

I never got into using CD player DJ series stuff like Denon's as it just never felt right to me. Other than basic beat matching and simple juggling, they just don't make the correct "noise"?

I did however use Vinyl Scratch, which allowed me to play with my digital collection or new tracks that have yet to be pressed.
    I belive that Stanton purchased them.

To me, spending $500 on a full kit, is a compromise unless you intend on it being a disposable hobby. If you're serious, you need proper equipment and proper DJ's don't just mix/beatmatch.

My hero is Qbert, but other I really respect:
    Roc Raider
    A-Track
    Shortkut
    DJ Krush
    Sister Bliss

why dont you try getting a midi controller? There are tons out there that are more then capable of mixing and such. A vastax vci-100 would be great, mixes and scratches. Alittle more then 500 tho. its about 600 i think, but well worth the money. I would look into a midi for sure. The vci-100 even comes with a traktor le..

if i were you i would do shit tons of reseach before you buy something.
    you aint dubbin. if you aint rubbin.

i have a cdn 90 which is a dual cd player which means all you would need is a mixer to start mixing music.
    i have a crappy mixer i would throw in
    $300

pm me if u are interested

try renting gear from Long and McQuade for a month and see of you really do like it....