Quantcast
Thinking of Moving to Melbourne, Australia - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of Moving to Melbourne, Australia

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Default Thinking of Moving to Melbourne, Australia

Hi Folks looking for some input here I am thinking of moving to Melbourne , was wondering if any one here has lived there or lives there at the moment.
    Any info you have will help me with my decision, I am also doing some research on line as well.

Thanks.
    Do you understand the words that are coming out of your mouth?

What do you want to do in Melbourne? Its pretty exspensive to live there. Whats your goals? Why melbourne?

p.s make sure you say it right when you get there lol
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

I friend of mine is moving there. From what he told me, it is pretty hard to move there. They want to check over everything about you. Hes been on the waiting list for over a year now, and they finally just accepted his application just a couple months ago. Good luck.

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Well first and foremost reason is the weather I just cannot take this weather anymore,
    2. I need a change
    3. Did I say weather I want a country with no snow.

I looked at Sydney but way to expensive to live there.

What about Brissy or Perth? Both easy to move into and huge growth and $$$. Melbourne reminds me of a Euro City and has some very old buildings and tons of great resturants. (And the Grand Prix)

Have you been to Australia before? The culture is really different here , and its hard to settle in. What type of work are you looking for?
    2011 Mercedes C63 AMG //2009 Mercedes C350 SOLD //2008 BMW 335i SOLD //2006 Mercedes C Sold// 2002 BMW M3 SOLD// 2004 Porsche C4S SOLD// 2006 Audi S4 SOLD// 2005 Audi 1.8T SS SOLD// 2004 Subaru STi SOLD// 1994 LHD Toyota Supra SOLD//1993 LHD Mazda RX-7 SOLD // 2002 Honda S2000 SC SOLD// 2004 Range Rover SOLD//

My Ride
    E46M3

Im interested in hearing your imput. I too am considering this in the fall.

Default Re: Thinking of Moving to Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by afrotl
    Hi Folks looking for some input here I am thinking of moving to Melbourne , was wondering if any one here has lived there or lives there at the moment.
    Any info you have will help me with my decision, I am also doing some research on line as well.

Thanks.
    Just curious as to why , how long do you plan to live there , have you ever been before , and what do you do .
    Your answers help me give you better info .

But isn't it the case where if the cost of living is expensive, the salaries and wages would also be reflective of that? It's expensive to live in California but at the same time, people are also earning a lot more than say Calgary for example.

Originally posted by Euro838
    But isn't it the case where if the cost of living is expensive, the salaries and wages would also be reflective of that? It's expensive to live in California but at the same time, people are also earning a lot more than say Calgary for example.

Not always , no .
    Higher wages are more readily available for those whose job are in demand . And example would be : lets say you dig ditches here in Calgary . Demand is high , your wages reflect it and you make a average amount of money and live a pretty decent life .
    Now you move to LA . You want to dig ditches and you realize that A) the cost of living like you did in Calgary is way higher , yet the wages you get for digging ditches in LA is WAYYYYY lower because there is lots of competition and lots of people that will do the work for next to nothing . It would be a painful learning experience . Not to mention getting a green card etc .

This brings up though another question about moving to Melbourne . Do you have a job that someone there is willing to hire you over your competition ? Unless you have someone to sponser you , be it a family member or corporation , you may find it very difficult to get a visa to live there . This also works similarily for moving to Canada from Australia . I have a friend that had to get a company here to sponser her in order for her to get her visa to stay here . She did this almost 10 years ago and it wasn't as easy as it would be now with all the demand in the labour market .

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
    What about Brissy or Perth? Both easy to move into and huge growth and $$$. Melbourne reminds me of a Euro City and has some very old buildings and tons of great resturants. (And the Grand Prix)

Have you been to Australia before? The culture is really different here , and its hard to settle in. What type of work are you looking for?
    Never thought of those cities, thanks for the input i will do some research on them. Never been to Australia but planning on visiting there b4 I make up my mind.
    I work for the Telecom industry here as a Business Analyst. working towards a Project Manager.

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Default Re: Re: Thinking of Moving to Melbourne, Australia

Originally posted by blueToy

Just curious as to why , how long do you plan to live there , have you ever been before , and what do you do .
    Your answers help me give you better info .
    Well it was the weather and the economy plus the geogrphical sites there.
    I will like to live there for good.
    Never been but planning to first go there for a visit before I make up my mind.
    I am a Business Analyst

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

Originally posted by blueToy

Not always , no .
    Higher wages are more readily available for those whose job are in demand . And example would be : lets say you dig ditches here in Calgary . Demand is high , your wages reflect it and you make a average amount of money and live a pretty decent life .
    Now you move to LA . You want to dig ditches and you realize that A) the cost of living like you did in Calgary is way higher , yet the wages you get for digging ditches in LA is WAYYYYY lower because there is lots of competition and lots of people that will do the work for next to nothing . It would be a painful learning experience . Not to mention getting a green card etc .

This brings up though another question about moving to Melbourne . Do you have a job that someone there is willing to hire you over your competition ? Unless you have someone to sponser you , be it a family member or corporation , you may find it very difficult to get a visa to live there . This also works similarily for moving to Canada from Australia . I have a friend that had to get a company here to sponser her in order for her to get her visa to stay here . She did this almost 10 years ago and it wasn't as easy as it would be now with all the demand in the labour market .
    I heard it is very difficult to move there so one of my plans is to first apply for a job there and hopefully they sponsor me I also have a friend in Sydney that i might call upon if all else fails.

australia is pretty far place, u might want to do some serious thinking before relocating. Airplane itself will be a good >13hrs journey and cost quite a bit which means it might be really possible to do frequent travelling back to see your loved ones. I think after your relocation, it will be pretty cheap if you want to tour the entire asia.that should be pretty interesting.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 03:28 AM.

My Ride
    pedals

the culture is strange how?

^^^ Its not like North America at all.. its really hard to explain..

Everything is sloooow and services suckkk ass!
    1. Cell phones are complete crap and cost heaps! (No deals NOTHING)
    2. High taxes on salary
    3. Different status class'... Basically if you show off your money here your a freakin loser . People brag aloooot (maybe just the gold coast) .
    4. Not alot to dooo... basically everyone drinks when they are bored.
    5. I go crazy sometimes because people do stuff sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sloooowlly
    6. Exspensive places to buy.
    7. Hard to find a job unless you are in the bar/resturant industry

Thats all i can rant about now ... im just recovering over number 4.....

My Ride
    Model S

why not visit for a few weeks first before making a decision like that?

if you hate snow, just move to vancouver. if you dont mind rain in the winter instead that is

My Ride
    2015 Highlander

We are planning on visiting first before we make any decisions.
    Vancouver is out of the question we are looking for somewhere more tropical.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

What do you do as a job or what were you planning on doing?
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    12 TL

Lol, tropical eh? Goto hawaii. That place might be easier to adjust.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast