Quantcast
Something you should know about the trans fat ban... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Something you should know about the trans fat ban...

My Ride
    You Crazy

Default Something you should know about the trans fat ban...

A common and most probable replacement for trans fat style oils and shortenings is Palm oil, or Plam Kernel oil.

This is WORSE for you then most the trans fats it is replacing.... if its not fresh... like if used in a deep fryer, whcih heavily oxidizes the fat...

IF they institute this trans fat ban, we should make sure they ALSO BAN PALM oil.

The other killer in terms of oils to humans is coconut oil.

We learned about this 10 years ago in an advanced biochem class at the U of C.... I cannot beleive they are gonna just blindly "ban trans fats"...
    Last edited by Toma; 02-07-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Hey Toma,

Another reason to move to Europe. I am getting sick of their Ban this Ban that Bull$hit, instead banning stuff they should put more efford into building more roads and Hospitals in this city. And don't get me started with Taxes.

Cheers,

How about we eat less deep fried shit in North America, and let the market take care of things.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    Hey Toma,

Another reason to move to Europe. I am getting sick of their Ban this Ban that Bull$hit, instead banning stuff they should put more efford into building more roads and Hospitals in this city. And don't get me started with Taxes.

Cheers,
    Everywhere is a nanny state, you can't really escape it. I hear more complaints about overbearing governments from Europeans than I do Canadians, easily.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Just don't eat out that often. You can cook with whatever you want at home. Who can take better care of yourself than you?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by lilmira
    Just don't eat out that often. You can cook with whatever you want at home. Who can take better care of yourself than you?
    Apparantly, the government!
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Everywhere is a nanny state, you can't really escape it. I hear more complaints about overbearing governments from Europeans than I do Canadians, easily.
    Oh, I dunno about that..... the biggest difference I saw in my trip last year was common everyday shit... cops NOT giving tickets to make cash.... you can get a hooker, you can buy pot, you can smoke where you want.... maybe its mee... but rules in general maybe officially stricter (I really dunno), but it sooo much more relaxed.

My Ride
    Honda

Default Re: Something you should know about the trans fat ban...

Originally posted by Toma
    We learned about this 10 years ago in an advanced biochem class at the U of C....
    I almost shit my pants laughing

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

I thought cocunut oil wasn't that bad for you
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

My Ride
    GTI

Originally posted by Toma

Oh, I dunno about that..... the biggest difference I saw in my trip last year was common everyday shit... cops NOT giving tickets to make cash.... you can get a hooker, you can buy pot, you can smoke where you want.... maybe its mee... but rules in general maybe officially stricter (I really dunno), but it sooo much more relaxed.
    Sounds like Amsterdam, and that's pretty much it. Yeah, you can get away with things like drinking in public in some parts of europe, even though it illegal, but that's pretty much it.

One of the best things I heard in Europe was something like - "no action is permitted unless specifically acknowledged by authorities." The list of 'does' is shorter than the list of 'dont's'

They're making smoking in restaurants etc. illegal all over Europe as well.

Honestly I don't care, I'm a firm believer that people are stupid and don't deserve any freedom anyway.

Originally posted by ICEBERG
    Hey Toma,

Cheers,
    Europe is where they started banning things.

They were the first to ban smoking in pubs and restaurants. They've already started banning the use of cellphones in cars, they've started taking away religious freedoms as well.

My Ride
    POS

I heard Europe has cameras all over the roads that monitor your speed over distance and send you a ticket in the mail like a red light ticket if your average speed is higher then the limit, anyone know/heard anything about this?

My Ride
    W204

I think the ultimate goal of "banning this and that" is a way to reduce the future costs of health care. Things like smoking, trans fats, whatever. Except the issue is that they are not really considering the consequences of some of these actions, much like how China instituted a one child policy. I think smoking was a good one, but trans fats... Yah that might be taking it far. What's next? Ban pop?
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Interesting fact I heard on the 92.9 a couple days ago , Japan has over 28,000 people over the age of 100. I bet all of north american combined has half that with us eating burgers and deep fried this and that all the time. If sushi wasn't so god damn expensive, I bet I could eat that shit everyday
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    S/C 03 eclipse, 00 accord, 96 shadow, 06 TJ Sport

Theres a big difference between people in europe and people here, the difference is common sence. WE DONT HAVE ANY. Thats why like drinking in public, drinking under the age of 18, and all that fun stuff is o.k. there and not here. I know pot i legal in holland but you dont see the dutch taking advantage of the fact they can get stoned and walk around. Most if not ALL problems in amsterdam are caused by american tourists.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

Banning this stuff is dumb, let people choose their own lifestyle. Ofcourse from that point you'd also have to clean up the health care system where people eat, drin kand smoke what ever they want know that illnesses will be there to abuse. Individualism works great here.
    Autosignature

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 03:31 AM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Well said, if anything, we are way too over-regulated here compared to Europe.
    Man its hard to get through to people, NO WE AREN'T!!!

The two things people have caused the biggest fits about regarding bans so far on this site:
    1) Smoking. Dublin was the first major city in the world to ban smoking in pubs, Ireland the first country. Spain, Scotland and Italy beat Canada as well. France recently joined, the rest of the UK will be on board by the ned of the year (as will Australia just to get a taste from around the world).

2)Trans Fats. Well, Canada hasn't banned trans fats, only regulated the nutritional information, in which the E.U. had done previously.

In the Netherlands, where they decided not to ban marijuana, they banned muslims from wearing head scarfs, it wasn't until early this year to take a small Quebec town to do the same.

The UK contemplated the idea of national identity cards to be carried at all times, something we still have yet to even semi-seriously discuss.

Many countries have banned the use of cell phones in moving vehicles, I still see idiots driving talking on their phone with one hand, trying to shift with the other over here.

Shall I go on?

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-31-2020 at 03:30 AM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    ^^^No, that's exactly what I meant. We under-regulate the things that should be more strictly regulated, and vice versa.
    Canada's the only country to have "sin taxes"? A pack of cigarettes can cost upwards of 10 euro depending on where you go , I believe Ireland has taxes wine more than any other country in the world, and a bunch of other European countries like to make a killing off the stuff as well. Every western country has 'sin taxes,' because they all like money.

So what things do we over-regulate compared to Europe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast