Quantcast
al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terr...17747-sun.html

Provincial officials say they’re taking seriously an al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta’s petroleum infrastructure but have not raised any threat level.

A spokesman for the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) said today they were alerted last week of statements on an Arabian-peninsula-based terrorist website encouraging attacks on oil installations in Canada, Mexico and Venezuela to disrupt the U.S. economy.

Premier Ed Stelmach said he learned of the e-posting on Tuesday but added security agencies already had the issue well in hand.

And he downplayed the magnitude of the threat.

“It’s not one that has alarmed anybody in terms of a serious threat...there will be threats ongoing especially with what’s going on in the Middle East,” he said.

‘I feel very secure and so should all Albertans.”

Nonetheless, Stelmach urged Albertans to keep a close eye out for any suspicious activity.

“If something’s happening in their community that seems odd, please report it to the local police,” said the premier.

EUB spokesman Darin Barter echoed Stelmach’s call forvigilance but said no moves have been made to increase the threat level or alter long-standing security plans.

“It’s more of a heightened awareness and alert — it’s a heightened sensitivity to what’s going on,” he said.

Barter said security authorities are convinced the website statements are from genuine terrorists.

“We’re taking it as a threat made against Alberta.”

A thorough security strategy for the oilpatch has been in place since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, with companies playing a key role in the plan.

If pipelines are attacked and damaged, remote sensors will shut down the flow, said Barter.

What’s dubbed critical infrastructure, such as refineries and other structures, he said, are protected by police, intelligence and company security.

“They’re very well protected — the intelligence agency we have allows us to be very pro-active,” said Barter.

A year ago, an unsuccessful assault was launched against the world’s largest oil processing facility at Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia.

A statement on the al-Qaida Voice of Holy War e-magazine said “it is necessary to hit oil interests in all regions which serve the United States, not just in the Middle East.”

It also referred to the Abqaiq attack.

Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.
    Had to laugh at the Accumap line. So fucking true. I'm waiting for something to pop up on our internal site about this.

This whole thing would be pretty easy to pull off considering how many home grown Canadian terrorist creeps we have walking our streets.

...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit...

Originally posted by wainr
    ...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit...
    But when the usual people that say shit like that actually have something happen directly to them it will be funny as to how they change their tune.

My Ride
    PL24T

ROFL...The security at the sites in Fort Mac are a joke...kinda scary really because the terrorists could just waltz in there with whatever...

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

At least the premier is taking a realistic approach instead of setting up some gay ass homeland security sytem with colors and shit.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    You Crazy

Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

Oh well....

Originally posted by Toma
    There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian...
    We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Originally posted by l8braker

We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.
    hahahahahaha.... travel much?? lol

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by l8braker

But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    You Crazy

But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.
    Well except for your last statement... as a guy that has been travelling for 20 +years.... I agree....

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Well, if we agreed on absolutely everything then we'd have nothing to talk about!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    300 Limited

Just got off the phone with my dad. He's away workin in the oil&gas industry. To be quite honest this is a pretty scary thought. Not only is the security weak (as someone said above) but imagine the proportions of such a thing.
    If something like this were to happen (knock on wood and hope it doesn't) the effects would be DEVASTATING. Stupid US.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.

My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.

are you guys kidding me?
    your all taking that seriously?

My Ride
    300 Limited

Originally posted by bamboo403
    are you guys kidding me?
    your all taking that seriously?
    Give me one valid reason why we shouldn't take this seriously.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

Originally posted by TrevorK
    If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.
    lol...this is very true...good thing Im chinese

Originally posted by Toma
    Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

Oh well....
    What I expected.. yes we have it coming..

Justifying terrorism one post at a time.

Like these groups are actually fighting for thier people.. give me a break. They have thier own agenda that is no more noble than Bush's crusade.. but as they are not American you can justify thier actions.. you are such a hypocrite.
    Last edited by wainr; 02-14-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Round up all the terrorist sympathizers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast