Quantcast
al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 59

Thread: al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Calgary AB Canada
    My Ride
    M5 Competition
    Posts
    2,930
    Rep Power
    14

    Default al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta

    http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terr...17747-sun.html

    Provincial officials say they’re taking seriously an al-Qaeda threat to attack Alberta’s petroleum infrastructure but have not raised any threat level.

    A spokesman for the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board (EUB) said today they were alerted last week of statements on an Arabian-peninsula-based terrorist website encouraging attacks on oil installations in Canada, Mexico and Venezuela to disrupt the U.S. economy.

    Premier Ed Stelmach said he learned of the e-posting on Tuesday but added security agencies already had the issue well in hand.

    And he downplayed the magnitude of the threat.

    “It’s not one that has alarmed anybody in terms of a serious threat...there will be threats ongoing especially with what’s going on in the Middle East,” he said.

    ‘I feel very secure and so should all Albertans.”

    Nonetheless, Stelmach urged Albertans to keep a close eye out for any suspicious activity.

    “If something’s happening in their community that seems odd, please report it to the local police,” said the premier.

    EUB spokesman Darin Barter echoed Stelmach’s call forvigilance but said no moves have been made to increase the threat level or alter long-standing security plans.

    “It’s more of a heightened awareness and alert — it’s a heightened sensitivity to what’s going on,” he said.

    Barter said security authorities are convinced the website statements are from genuine terrorists.

    “We’re taking it as a threat made against Alberta.”

    A thorough security strategy for the oilpatch has been in place since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, with companies playing a key role in the plan.

    If pipelines are attacked and damaged, remote sensors will shut down the flow, said Barter.

    What’s dubbed critical infrastructure, such as refineries and other structures, he said, are protected by police, intelligence and company security.

    “They’re very well protected — the intelligence agency we have allows us to be very pro-active,” said Barter.

    A year ago, an unsuccessful assault was launched against the world’s largest oil processing facility at Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia.

    A statement on the al-Qaida Voice of Holy War e-magazine said “it is necessary to hit oil interests in all regions which serve the United States, not just in the Middle East.”

    It also referred to the Abqaiq attack.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    YYC
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    C
    Posts
    1,039
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Fuck let's hope the terrorists don't get a hold of AccuMap (which is ridiculously easy to do)... I can only imagine how badly they can fuck up shit with an exact map of every oil/gas/water pipeline in Alberta.
    Had to laugh at the Accumap line. So fucking true. I'm waiting for something to pop up on our internal site about this.

    This whole thing would be pretty easy to pull off considering how many home grown Canadian terrorist creeps we have walking our streets.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    16
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by wainr
    ...waiting for the usual people to say this is some conspiracy by harper or some shit...
    But when the usual people that say shit like that actually have something happen directly to them it will be funny as to how they change their tune.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    PL24T
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    ROFL...The security at the sites in Fort Mac are a joke...kinda scary really because the terrorists could just waltz in there with whatever...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    ___________________________
    My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans
    Posts
    11,139
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    At least the premier is taking a realistic approach instead of setting up some gay ass homeland security sytem with colors and shit.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

    Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

    Red Deer, AB

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    You Crazy
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

    There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

    Oh well....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    C
    Posts
    1,039
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Toma
    There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian...
    We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    You Crazy
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by l8braker


    We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.
    hahahahahaha.... travel much?? lol

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Originally posted by l8braker


    We're still safe while we travel, just mind your peas and cues and don't act stupid.
    But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    You Crazy
    Posts
    2,008
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE


    But not as safe as it used to be that much is for sure.....the old leaf doesn't carry the same clout overseas that it used too. And yes, like it or not, by alligning ourselves with the U.S. (whether you think it's right or wrong is irrelevant) we have made ourselves just as much as a target. The only argument I make on that is that we'd likely be a target regardless of policy as the main issue seems to be western civilization as a whole.
    Well except for your last statement... as a guy that has been travelling for 20 +years.... I agree....

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 1987
    Location
    SK
    My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    50

    Default

    Well, if we agreed on absolutely everything then we'd have nothing to talk about!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    300 Limited
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Just got off the phone with my dad. He's away workin in the oil&gas industry. To be quite honest this is a pretty scary thought. Not only is the security weak (as someone said above) but imagine the proportions of such a thing.
    If something like this were to happen (knock on wood and hope it doesn't) the effects would be DEVASTATING. Stupid US.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    0 - 60 In 10 minutes.
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    are you guys kidding me?
    your all taking that seriously?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    300 Limited
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Originally posted by bamboo403
    are you guys kidding me?
    your all taking that seriously?
    Give me one valid reason why we shouldn't take this seriously.
    It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    268
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by TrevorK
    If something ever did happen I truly feel sorry for the ethnic population - because with all of the rednecks in this province it would be very likely there will be many racist acts committed against them / their religious places.
    lol...this is very true...good thing Im chinese

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    371
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Toma
    Well WTF did you expect would happen by being such vocal supporters of the real terrorists (Bush)... lol

    There was a time that when you travelled, you were safe as a Canadian... so safe, tha American's sewed maple leafs on their clothing....

    Oh well....
    What I expected.. yes we have it coming..

    Justifying terrorism one post at a time.



    Like these groups are actually fighting for thier people.. give me a break. They have thier own agenda that is no more noble than Bush's crusade.. but as they are not American you can justify thier actions.. you are such a hypocrite.
    Last edited by wainr; 02-14-2007 at 10:48 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    calgary, ab
    Posts
    387
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Round up all the terrorist sympathizers.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Al Qaeda Threat and Canada.

    By Stiletoonfire in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 30
    Latest Threads: 02-18-2007, 04:13 PM
  2. Al-Qaeda warns Canada

    By googe in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 167
    Latest Threads: 11-03-2006, 10:29 PM
  3. Saddam had no ties to Al Qaeda

    By Toma in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 37
    Latest Threads: 09-10-2006, 09:33 AM
  4. Unfair 50-50 Car Insurance Claim Threat

    By migzz in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 26
    Latest Threads: 02-08-2005, 10:12 AM
  5. Bomb threat...

    By celica girl in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Latest Threads: 06-25-2002, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •