Quantcast
Removing plumber's putty stain from marble? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Removing plumber's putty stain from marble?

Default Removing plumber's putty stain from marble?

Does anybody know of any good products/methods ot remove brown staining from marble caused by plumber's putty? Best I can find online is 'use a poultice'....well, that's not too helpful (sic).

My Ride
    09 Scooby

Goo gone is a very good universal stain remover. It removes red wine, pen, gum etc. I dont know if you can use it for marble but it is worth looking into.

My Ride
    '04 STi

Default Re: Removing plumber's putty stain from marble?

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
    Does anybody know of any good products/methods ot remove brown staining from marble caused by plumber's putty? Best I can find online is 'use a poultice'....well, that's not too helpful (sic).
    A poultice will work, but it's not the only way. I had a similar stain on my granite and this is what I ended up doing:

Lay paper towels down on the area, maybe 6-10 sheets thick. Get some acetone and allow it to completely saturate the towels. Acetone evaporates quickly, so once you get them fully saturated, cover the towels with saran wrap, and use tape to hold the edges of the saran wrap down. Make sure it's fully sealed.

Allow the sealed acetone to soak in overnight, or for about 12 hours minimum. After that, remove the saran wrap and allow the towels to dry naturally. Like the poultice, what happens is that as the evaporation occurs, it pulls moisture out of the granite, and whatever was staining it gets extracted by evaporative convection.

You would want to check that acetone is ok for your particular application, but as marble and granite are both stone-based materials it is almost guaranteed to be safe to use acetone on marble.

I've used this method on my granite a couple times, and it is the only way I have found to completely remove oil-based stains. HTH